Please let us know your name or what you prefer to be called and tell us about you!

Options
GinetteMac
GinetteMac Posts: 171 Member
My name is Ginette, i'm a mother of three girls, all University ages. I live in Bracebridge, Ontario. In September we will be empty nesters and I want to look gooooooooooood. I need to be healthy and make better decisions. Now tell me about you!

Replies

• cbrestensky
    cbrestensky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My name is Clarissa. I am from PA, USA. I am a married mother of 3 - ages 21,5 and 3. I want to be around to see my little ones grow up. I am tired of my weight keeping me from doing things I love or making me self conscience. I do not want my children to have weight problems and by making healthier choices, already see how much of an influence it is on my kids. I want to be active and healthy.
  • ErinCMDonohue
    ErinCMDonohue Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    GinetteMac wrote: »
    My name is Ginette, i'm a mother of three girls, all University ages. I live in Bracebridge, Ontario. In September we will be empty nesters and I want to look gooooooooooood. I need to be healthy and make better decisions. Now tell me about you!

Thank you for creating this group!
  • HELL0_MARLA_HOOCH
    HELL0_MARLA_HOOCH Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can call me Marla :) I'm 28 and in nursing school. I really miss being in shape and doing fun things with my girlfriend like hiking and rock climbing.
    I also have been reading www.marksdailyapple.com and think he makes a lot of really good points about health. I want to be healthy and avoid so many of those diseases that come with eating the SAD (Standard American Diet ;) )
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name's Leah! I'm 23, from Oregon. I've always been active, playing varsity tennis in both high school and college, but haven't always eaten well. I'm just coming back from a year working in France where I gaimed a lot of weight thanks to the good baguettes and cheap wine they have there. I'm wanting to get back into shape not only for myself, but for theater. I'm an actress, and I think it would help in getting more roles to lose some weight!
  • AshleyOracle
    AshleyOracle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! My name is Ashley. :smile: Oracle is my pet cornsnake's name. I'm from Newmarket, Ontario, Canada... currently living in Barrie, Ontario.

I've always struggled with my weight ever since the onset of puberty. Not sure if it was just a stage in life thing, or the fact that it coincided with grade 7 and 8 and the large amount of schoolwork I started to get compared to grade 6 and previous grades. I was an active kid; my parents had me enrolled in gymnastics, dance, baseball, skating, etc. But as soon as I started getting busier with school, I had less time to participate in extracurricular activities. So that abruptly ended. :neutral:

Grades 9-11 came around and I immersed myself in my studies - I had no time for anything else. Then in grade 12, I got really sick and lost a lot of weight. People started complimenting me, my weight loss, and my overall "improved" appearance; not knowing what was really going on with my body, and the fact that I was losing weight because I was ill. This was a major setback!

I got better over the summer, then started college and gained all of the weight back and then some. I have a Pre-Health Certificate from my first year at college, and then I received my Occupational Therapist Assistant & Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma, and I'll be in the process of obtaining Recreation Therapist credentials come this September. My job involves promoting health and wellness, so I need to consider myself healthy to do that without feeling like a hypocrite. :tongue:

Therefore, my ultimate GOAL is to be healthier. That's it. I want to stop getting sick all the time, I want to start making healthier choices in life, and I'd like to not stress out so much because of my appearance (body weight and skin complexion). Being healthier for me means eating healthier, and getting more exercise. With that, I feel like everything else will follow suit: I'll hopefully lose some weight, and get in better shape, not be so stressed out, and feel happy with myself and be content for once. I want to lead a healthier lifestyle, so I will! :smiley:

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! I want to feel comfortable enough with my body to wear whatever I want to wear. I hate how self-conscious I am, so I'm going to work on it!

Let's do this, ladies (and gents)! :sunglasses:

Good luck, and all the best! :wink:
  • AshleyOracle
    AshleyOracle Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ^ I apologize for the length of my post! Haha, I kind of get stuck in a rant and keep going... :blush:

Feel free to add me! The more the merrier! Thanks!
  • stellagracr
    stellagracr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My name is Stella Grace, and I want my body to feel better. I have no excuses anymore; no more time to not take control of my health and my body. I'm fairly newly retired, have a supportive husband and two supportive grown children, who are all of normal weight. I need to lose 75 lbs, and feel lighter, stronger, and less short of breath.
  • leahk80
    leahk80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Leah. I'm originally from Olympia, Washington. But now I live in Los Angeles. I've been overweight since grade 7 and was bullied for it and other things both in middle school and high school. It dented my self esteem and I have a really hard time interacting with people. It's now a full blown phobia. But I want to be healthy and not be diabetic which is really right around the corner. I have no support at home, so I'm hoping i can get as much support as I can from this great community. Thanks so much!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Howdy from the Friendly City of Port Elizabeth in South Africa. I'm Varla and Newby to this group. I am a fencer (sport with Swords) who decided to get serious about my hobby this year. I joined an mma gym in January and told them I want to improve my fitness so I can be a better fencer. 6 months down the line, I realise that I had no idea what I meant when I said that. Working with the amazing trainers I have made so much progress already. I've dropped about 10kgs and 3 sizes, but beyond that I am so much stronger and able to do things. I can run (haven't quite got to a full 5km yet, but I will soon) and do so many things that were behind me at the beginning of the year. A couple of weeks ago I added Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to my training as it is amazing for strengthening your core (and loads of fun). I am also prepping for our National Fencing Championships next weekend. Although losing weight is not my primary focus I know I still have about 20kgs to go to my ideal weight, which will become important if I choose to compete in BJJ as well. Looking for some new friends on here to walk with as we journey on the road of healthy lifestyles. Friend requests welcome.
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hey there-I'll follow suit with Ashley's and Captain Boing in a bit of information on why I'm interested in this group. Having friended a few great folks on MFP over this past month, I've enjoyed the virtual interactions with Ginette, and am ready to expand this group of online friends as we journey this path. I retired this past year, and decided to enjoy it. After suffering a bout of knee problems, and upper respiratory tract infections, I decided that this first year's retirement activities needs to be more focused. This first year of "eat what I want, rest when I want, travel, read books, and volunteer" resulted in packing on some pounds. So here I am, reflecting that 10 yrs ago, when I was at a weight about weight 50 lbs less than where I am now, that all my asthmatic symptoms faded completely out of sight. That being said, I'm determined to make lifestyle changes: lose the weight, get heathier and continue to enjoy a full life. I've lost about 25 lbs, and am just 1/5th of the way toward my goal. It's three digits for the next several months here in AZ, so swimming and water aerobics are it-both for weather related reasons, as well as less weights on the joints as I start excercising again. Once it cools off (end of Sept) and I've lost at least another 20lbs, I'd like to fold in other excersices like walking, hiking and biking that I've enjoyed in the past. So I'm ready to stay with it for the long haul to lose another 100. A gourmet chief, I've never been, but during this first month and a half, I've learned to prep for and cook some fabulously tasting healthy food. I think I'm getting the hang of this weight loss deal, but have a lot more to learn. I look forward to sharing, encouraging, and learning with you all! -Moira
  • acrisostomo75
    acrisostomo75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI, I am Anna, I too am an empty nester now and am excited about that but surely miss my only son. He is loving the freedoms of adulthood but not the financial responsibility. LOL

I am a teacher and I am trying to stay active, motivated and do something to get to a healthy weight. I think I eat good, I think I exercise some and some how over the course of this last move and year I put on 20lbs. I try to plan meals ahead, so we are not guessing. I try to make it balanced when I cook.
    I am a sugar addict. I can't pass up sugar. I drink coffee for the sugarfee creamer vanilla I put into it. I like to eat ice cream, but try to not go crazy. However, my hubby who too is a sugar addict but has much better self control than I, eats it nightly. He buys cakes now and then too, he can eat a sliver slice and be fine, me, I see it and add a good slice with ice cream. :( I am the type that needs accountability. So working out at home with a video is not me, I need peers to push me and walk with me as I sweat it out. If I could go to the gym daily while I am working the school year I would. But school is horribly demanding for my time. I too am a workaholic. I love what I do so I attend everything and coach basketball.

These past 3 weeks of summer I have started yoga, I go 3-4x a week, and I have a combat kickboxing class I go to on Mondays where I do back to back with yoga. So 2 hours on Mondays, and an hour Tuesday through Thursdays. I walk Fridays through Sunday at the mall with my hubby or take the dog for long walk. Still losing a pound a week is harder than it use to be. Well, that is me in a nutshell.