What do you think counts as restless sleep?

Options
Magenta529
Magenta529 Posts: 100 Member
ive been tracking my sleep on the Fitbit charge HR and the amount of times I'm restless seems high to me? But then again I have no idea what's normal! How many times does your charge tell you that you're restless during the night?

I'm anywhere between 13-25 over the past week.

Replies

• whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've just got a flex, and last night was 11 times that it logged. I'm a toss and turn sleeper, but rarely ever wake up. So I'm also curious what is considered restless.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different—just use it as a metric. For example, are you less refreshed after a lot of restless sleep? Is your sleep less restless after exercise?

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Sleep-tracking-FAQs
    A restless state of sleep indicates that your body transitioned from a very restful position with little movement to movement, such as turning over in bed. This doesn't necessarily mean that you were fully awake or cognizant of your movements, but it may indicate that you were not getting the most restful sleep possible at that time.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Everybody's different—just use it as a metric. For example, are you less refreshed after a lot of restless sleep? Is your sleep less restless after exercise?

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Sleep-tracking-FAQs
    A restless state of sleep indicates that your body transitioned from a very restful position with little movement to movement, such as turning over in bed. This doesn't necessarily mean that you were fully awake or cognizant of your movements, but it may indicate that you were not getting the most restful sleep possible at that time.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Looking back over the past month, looks to be 5-24 times. However I do notice that I'm more awake and alert in the morning when the restless number is lower. When it's higher, I'm usually tired and want nothing more than to crawl back into bed.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I tend to have very intense dreams. So I don't really pay a lot of attention to the number of times I am restless. Usually around 17 times a night. I pay more attention to how often I actually wake up and how long it takes me to fall asleep.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    What is the percentage? I feel anything around 90% is okay. I also found I sleep better without the Charge than with it. Not used to having things on my wrist overnight. I usually just let it recharge the battery, only wear it a couple of night a month to make sure my pattern hasn't changed too much.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at the percentage. The higher the better, of course, and anything under 90% confirms that I slept poorly (I generally already know that). The other thing I look for is good, long stretches between times when I was restless or awake. That seems to make more of a difference in how I feel than the total sleep time.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Wow... I never reach 90% .. I usually I get about 50%-60% but i have fibromyalgia (and very restless) so I never get more than like 4-5 hours of actual sleep a night
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Make sure you don't have it on the "sensitive" setting for sleep. That will certainly impact both percentage and total sleep time.

I sometimes wonder when I hear recommendations that almost everyone needs 7-8 hours of sleep a night how that correlates to the amount of sleep reported by my Fitbit. For instance, last night I was in bed for about 7 hours but Fitbit says my actual sleep time was 5 hours and 57 minutes. Does that count as 7 hours of sleep, since that's what most people who don't wear sleep monitors would count it as? Or is it only 6 hours?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder when I hear recommendations that almost everyone needs 7-8 hours of sleep a night how that correlates to the amount of sleep reported by my Fitbit. For instance, last night I was in bed for about 7 hours but Fitbit says my actual sleep time was 5 hours and 57 minutes. Does that count as 7 hours of sleep, since that's what most people who don't wear sleep monitors would count it as? Or is it only 6 hours?

I ignore what "they" say and mine my data for insights about me. How much sleep is enough for me? (And how much is too much?) Do I sleep better after an evening workout, or worse?
  • NancyN795
    edited June 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I ignore what "they" say and mine my data for insights about me. How much sleep is enough for me? (And how much is too much?) Do I sleep better after an evening workout, or worse?

I listen to a number of podcasts, including quite a few that are science oriented. One recently talked about how much sleep we need. There was a study done recently where they recruited a number of people who said they needed much less sleep than typical. When they got them into a lab, under controlled conditions, it turned out only a small percentage actually needed less than 7 hours. So, the fact that I consistently sleep fewer hours than that (more like 5-6) troubles me. However, going to bed earlier doesn't seem to get me to fall asleep earlier and I wake up at about 5 am almost every day, without an alarm, no matter what time I went to bed.

I don't do evening workouts. I'm pretty sure those would disrupt my sleep. I do find that a sleep efficiency of more than 90% is important, no matter what the duration. If it's less than that, I almost always find I need an afternoon nap the next day.

I miss being young, when sleeping in until late in the morning was a blissful luxury on the weekends. Now, I could do that any time I wanted, but my body won't let me.
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually over 20 times a night, but I too have fibromyalgia and don't get a lot of restful sleep. I mainly look at how long I was restless versus how long I slept.
  • Magenta529
    Options
    I tend to have very intense dreams. So I don't really pay a lot of attention to the number of times I am restless. Usually around 17 times a night. I pay more attention to how often I actually wake up and how long it takes me to fall asleep.

I also have intense dreams, but usually only when I'm feeling stressed. I hate it, because I wake up and feel even more stressed because of whatever was happening in the dream. Often they are sad, or very frustrating, or involve a lot of problem solving.
  • Magenta529
    Options
    I don't see a percentage on mine, but I'm only looking at the app on my phone, perhaps I have to log in on the computer to see the percentage?

My average amount of sleep is just less than 7 hours. Which I feel is pretty good. My sleep rythym is off so i usually go to bed daily between 2-3:30 am. So getting an avg of 7 hours in is good in my book!
  • retirehappy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Magenta529 wrote: »
    I don't see a percentage on mine, but I'm only looking at the app on my phone, perhaps I have to log in on the computer to see the percentage?

My average amount of sleep is just less than 7 hours. Which I feel is pretty good. My sleep rythym is off so i usually go to bed daily between 2-3:30 am. So getting an avg of 7 hours in is good in my book!

I have an iphone, you add the "how did you sleep" tile to the listing, there is an edit link in the top left hand corner, you'll see it under there. I don't have fitbit on an android device, but I would think it would have that option as well?

And 7 hrs of sleep is a GREAT night for me. I worked night shifts for years and my sleep patterns are crazy. I was used to 4 hrs or so, so 7 is great to me.

• NancyN795
    Options

I have an iphone, you add the "how did you sleep" tile to the listing, there is an edit link in the top left hand corner, you'll see it under there. I don't have fitbit on an android device, but I would think it would have that option as well?

And 7 hrs of sleep is a GREAT night for me. I worked night shifts for years and my sleep patterns are crazy. I was used to 4 hrs or so, so 7 is great to me.

I couldn't find any way to show the percentage on my Android phone. It shows time asleep, number of times awake, number of times restless and a sleep pattern graph, but no sleep efficiency percentage.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually sleep 7 hours in the low 90% efficiency range. I sometimes have a hard time falling asleep, but when I do, I'm dead to the world. No problem sleeping till 10 or 11 am depending on how late I stay up. I'm trying to go to bed early so I can get early and go for a walk while it is cool out. It's 110 degrees in the afternoon.
  • retirehappy
    Options

I couldn't find any way to show the percentage on my Android phone. It shows time asleep, number of times awake, number of times restless and a sleep pattern graph, but no sleep efficiency percentage.

You will have to use the tile for sleep on the fitbit.com website then. It is so frustrating that programmers can not get the same features on the varies operating systems. I have a Kindle that would be great for my logging etc while traveling except after almost 4 years. that vers of MFP does not have community functions.