Prepping for Lunches

Options
tcesiunas
tcesiunas Posts: 11 Member
One of the hardest health hurdles I face is lunch! I have a super fast-paced job and if that's you too then you know that it's more often than not when you look up at the clock and see it's 2pm and think "Wow and I ever starving!" Then you end up swinging through a drive thru quickly to get something into your system as fast as possible and get back to the madness. Having really taken a good look at myself lately, I knew this nasty habit had to change, so this past weekend I went to the Superstore to restock the refrigerator and came across these containers by Rubbermaid that are portioned on the inside! If I'm going to prep at home more regularly, I don't want to have to take 2 or more containers (dishes ugh!) to work with me for lunch so I grabbed 5 of these bad boys (so there were no excuses or forgetting to prep a whole week) and went to work prepping lunch for this week. Let me tell you, I love them! It kind of makes quick work of packing a salad and dressing and protein all in one container, then I just throw in a bag or two of baby carrots and dip and no more hitting that dreaded drive thru line. :smiley:or5d6d6cbsao.jpg
uhfroyntgdw4.jpg

Replies

• tcesiunas
    Options
    Does anyone else have any tips/tools you use as a staple when prepping meals?
  • GinetteMac
    GinetteMac Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great idea, I need to pick up some containers too, I am the same way at work, no time to stop so we are allowed to eat at our desks and still get paid but no time to really go get anything or heat anything up so I tend to stay with easy stuff, like guacamole and nacho chips to dip, vegies, fruit, today I made tuna salad and never got around to eat it till I got home. I always look at the calorie intake and food/nutirional fact and then go from there. If I prepared my lunches so far in advance I'd come home with empty containers and three happy full kids! keep up the great work!
  • yavonne67
    yavonne67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wow - impressive & motivating. I will try to get some this weekend to, as my work day & fast food temptations call me at work,too. I have finally com e to terms with the fact I eat out boredom & stress. I have little discipline & willpower so desk snacking is a huge challenge for me every single day. Thanks for sharing this post!

• BevSmith0142
    BevSmith0142 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love the containers! Great idea. I agree, planning, prepping and organization are key to staying on track and being successful on our weight loss journeys. More so when we are juggling busy jobs, families and other commitments. Let us know how you get on with your first week with lunch preps.
  • cbrestensky
    cbrestensky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be that prepared! Those lunches look way better than fast food. I work a split shift at a desk job, so I also have no breaks or lunch at work. I keep a couple protein shakes (whatever I can get a good deal on) in the refrigerator at work for a bad day to get me through and keep me out of the drive-through line. I also leave a jar of peanut butter in my desk-love it on bananas. Other than that, I pack some fruits, veggies,cottage cheese cups,yogurt or a sandwhich. I also try to eat a good. breakfast before I leave. Every now and then I have a great week and pack good lunches like you. Great idea with the containers!
  • cbrestensky
    cbrestensky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also take half gallon water cooler with ice water to work every day. I don't allow myself to go home until I've drank it all. Great way to get my water and keeps me away from the vending machines.
  • tcesiunas
    Options
    I also take half gallon water cooler with ice water to work every day. I don't allow myself to go home until I've drank it all. Great way to get my water and keeps me away from the vending machines.

That's a great idea! I am so thankful we don't have vending machines or else I'd be in serious trouble! Water is so important, I'm happy you have a system to make sure you get yours each day, great job!
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    I wish I could be that prepared! Those lunches look way better than fast food. I work a split shift at a desk job, so I also have no breaks or lunch at work. I keep a couple protein shakes (whatever I can get a good deal on) in the refrigerator at work for a bad day to get me through and keep me out of the drive-through line. I also leave a jar of peanut butter in my desk-love it on bananas. Other than that, I pack some fruits, veggies,cottage cheese cups,yogurt or a sandwhich. I also try to eat a good. breakfast before I leave. Every now and then I have a great week and pack good lunches like you. Great idea with the containers!

Those are great options and especially when you don't have set breaks or lunch breaks to work around. It's so important to be able to access healthy food that you can eat at your desk so you don't starve all day and then eat WAY too much at night.
  • BevSmith0142
    Options

Great idea!
  • GinetteMac
    Options
    I am usually pretty good at work, my main issue is not eating enough for the first two meals and then packing in the calories for dinner, but that's when i'm good and hungry. I sometimes take cheerios with me as one cup of cheerios equals 100 calories and keep them on my desk and if I feel like I need to much I grab a few, it's a low calorie snack if fruit or vegies aren't around. Works for me! I look at it this way I can have a 100 little mini snacks that can last me all morning, lol. And no I don't work for the Cheerio company, lol.
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    I think that's a great idea, Ginette. And you're right, if having them at hand stops you munching on other stuff all the better I say.
  • GinetteMac
    Options
    I am going to be starting a new job (at least i'm going for the second interview Monday night) but if I get it it's a more professional office and harder to get to the bathroom all the time plus I don't want them thinking I have peealitis or something so it could get interesting on the water front, but on a good note, they make you take lunch there and it's right downtown so I can walk the whole strip and make it back to work knowing i've had a great workout in between, keep your fingers crossed for me, I'm really hopping this happens!
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    Good luck Ginette. Sounds like and exciting opportunity for you. Let us know how you get on.
  • GinetteMac
    Options
    Thanks Bev, we talked to a friend of ours who recommended me for the job as the job was never posted and he said the man who interviewed me went to see him to thank him for recommending me for the job. Sounds like it's a very good posibility and it pays way way more so that would be awesome!
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    Oh for sure. Well it sounds really promising so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!