RX Question

Klhernandez81
Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
So this came up in a discussion with my husband and I. He has an injury/handicap and has no ligament in his knee: no ACL, no MCL, no LCL. He's right at the age where he's a little young for a full replacement surgery just yet, but is working with a new Ortho to consider getting in done when he is ready. Anyway, this means he can't technically RX on workouts that have jumping or running, it's the explosive movement, so he has to row or box step in place of running and jump rope. He's always right on with the RX weight, etc though.

Here's the question:
CrossFit is very inclusive. In particular to military and service members. We do hero WODs, wounded warrior events, and have flags all over our gym in support of our service member affiliations. I get that RX literally means "as prescribed" but for those with injuries that they may not heal from, do we never give them the satisfaction of an RX? Our gym is in FL and there are literally no rowing WODs, but yes, my husband can RX on those. My husband aside though...for true wounded warriors this kind of burned my biscuit a bit. Just curious on others thoughts? Am I being silly here?

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member

Ugh sounds tough to go through those knee issues at a younger age but awesome that even with that that he's still able to kill it at the box with rowing and prescribed weights. One of my favorie things about Crossfit is how inclusive it is. I don't think you're being silly in wanting those (especially wounded warriors as you referenced) to get a great satisfaction from their crossfit workouts; Rx'ing workouts is a goal most crossfitters have but here are my thoughts.

Too much emphasis is put on Rx'ing workouts. Rx'ing is only a suggested scale. There are athletes at my box who scale to less weight or alternate movements. There are athletes at my gym that scale to much more than the prescribed weight so that they can achieve the same intended result whether its target heart rate, reaching a certain level of lactic acid threshold, a certain level or reps during an AMRAP etc. Does it make either group of athletes any more successful because they have an RX listed next to their name when they log their workout? Does the guy that did the workout with 50 LBs over the prescribed weight get an RX+ next to his name? I read an article regarding this that changed my view a bit on RX-ing. It stated we are all in a constant state of scaling – even the elite of the elite, even the few who make it to the finals at The CrossFit Games. Double unders are scaled triple unders, MU are scaled weighted MU, 15′ rope climbs are scaled 20′ climbs. Scaling is how you stay safe and healthy, its how you improve your technique and its how you finish the workouts in a way that leaves you feeling obliterated after. I think our job as teammates, coaches, family members and friends is to work to help change the mindset of fellow crossfit athletes to one that allows them to feel that sense of satisfaction with themselves as long as they bust their *kitten* and give it their all, not because the do a workout at a particular scale we happen to call prescribed.

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Agreed kellyann!!! Our coaches often will prescribe a ridiculously high weight just to prove us that point--that everything is a scale of something else. Pike push-ups scale for hspu. Hspu scale for strict hspu. Strict hspu scale for either deficit hspu or freestanding hspu, etc. they're really keen on making us see our own worth and progress against our own and not each other. Sometimes some of our members go through stages where they won't record our workouts on the board because they get too wrapped up in the competition and not enough on the "just improve".
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    My only question is: Who is he competing against?

If he’s going up agains others in a competition, then he should have to do the full prescribed workout. But if he’s just trying to improve himself, then RX is whatever he set his mind to do that day. Here’s the chap, other people at your box might get upset if his time on the board beats theres and he didn’t do the same exercises.

I never write my score on the board, nor do I do competitions. I’m doing crossfit to improve myself (and not hurt myself). So why does it matter if I finished third out of the 5am class. I don’t mind seeing the scores since it does show me what is possible, but I am not going to be inspiring anyone with my times/scores.
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    My only question is: Who is he competing against?

If he’s going up agains others in a competition, then he should have to do the full prescribed workout. But if he’s just trying to improve himself, then RX is whatever he set his mind to do that day. Here’s the chap, other people at your box might get upset if his time on the board beats theres and he didn’t do the same exercises.

I never write my score on the board, nor do I do competitions. I’m doing crossfit to improve myself (and not hurt myself). So why does it matter if I finished third out of the 5am class. I don’t mind seeing the scores since it does show me what is possible, but I am not going to be inspiring anyone with my times/scores.

I think you are referring to my Husband? Ususally, himself. And he/we actually never wrote on the board much, but our new gym does Wodify and they're really into tracking your weight progression. I think it made him feel like he had to measure his WOD. So you can imagine that when he busted balls the first day on a WOD at RX weight, but rowed 400, for the 200 run, and the coach made sure to let him know he wasn't an RX, he wondered why he was be put through all motions to tally in the first place when he just wants to be there for the workout. Sort of horse, cart, horse. Our gym is also very military centric (near a base) and our old gym did a lot of OT/rehab, so it just got me thinking about how to motivate inclusively.
    I mentioned to him your comments and said, there's no reason he needs to his WOD in Wodify, and it was like a lightbulb went off. I appreciate the feedback. It's great for tracking PRs, but I do think some gyms emphasis the competitive piece differently. Personally, I have fun, workout hard, and push within my capabilities each day. If I do something new/harder/heavier each week, I feel like it's been a success!

Thanks, guys!!

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I am glad he got something out of it. I was in the military and see how they love to push performance. But even the creator of crossfit can’t “compete” with other crossfit athletes and understands scaling to meet your fitness level. Kudos to you and your husband to get the message of what crossfit actually means.

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Can I ask why an ACL/MCL repair surgery isn't an option? That would seem to be the precursor to a replacement.

I tore my ACL at age 21, had it repaired and have had few problems other than it being sore for a day or so if I really push it.