Word of Advice on Meds...

Options
joysie1970
joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
Last night I pulled a big boo-boo! I have a cold and decided to take a cough medicine I had hanging around from my last one, pre-surgery...not a good idea! Our pouches cannot handle the same meds we could pre-surgery. Four hours of severe cramping (in the middle of the night) and now cramping and nausea everytime I eat. Word to the wise - purge every med from your house that you have that you are not ordered to take. This was a cough medicine prescribed by my doctor, seemed innocent enough - lesson learned. I am purging tonight - all OTC's and prescriptions. Our bodies are definitely not the same, the way it effected was not the same either - I couldn't even stand up without feeling like I was going to pass out, very scary.

Replies

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I take dayquil and have no issues. I hope all gets better for you soon.
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hope you feel better soon, good to know on the cold meds would have never thought of it. And although I don't get them often, but when I do, I am definitely going to medicate it. Thank you for the post.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    They might have put at artificial sweetener in the cold medicine...that could have made you sick
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    We really do have to watch the meds we take, OTC or prescription, especially early on. I had the worst cold of my life when I went for a six week follow up. I hadn't taken anything because I wasn't sure what I could take, and the doctor said I would be fine taking cold medicine, so I took Tylenol for colds. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that our surgeons and their teams are just a phone call away, and they will always be there to answer questions and give advice.
  • joysie1970
    Options
    I'm definitely feeling a little better, it's passing out of my system - but wow what a lesson! I did call and learned I could take sudafed but didn't get the cough medicine they recommended - my tummy is definitely sore today and they said most likely will be for a day or two, what I took was just too harsh for it. As garber6th said your team is just a call away - don't make any decisions on your own. I won't be anyway :wink:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »
    I'm definitely feeling a little better, it's passing out of my system - but wow what a lesson! I did call and learned I could take sudafed but didn't get the cough medicine they recommended - my tummy is definitely sore today and they said most likely will be for a day or two, what I took was just too harsh for it. As garber6th said your team is just a call away - don't make any decisions on your own. I won't be anyway :wink:

So glad you are feeling better! That first cold after surgery seems to really hit hard, doesn't it? You might want to try some ginger tea with a little lemon, if you can tolerate it. Ginger seems to help colds, and it's helpful for your tummy too!
  • joysie1970
    Options
    Yes, I was telling my fiance', I used to be able to power through colds and other things like nobodies business and this just rocked me to my core....I feel like a newborn. Thanks for the tip! I will have him pick some up on his way home from work to give it a try!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    One of the things my doctor said to watch out for were "long acting" or "extended release" meds. Depending on where they do the release, it can cause severe irritation or an overdose. Some things are fine--12 hour Claritin, for example, but some are not good. I can take regular guafenisin (expectorant), for example, but not the more common 12 hour version.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have had only one issue and that was a pain med given to me at the med center when my knee flaired up. I told them repeatedly that I am a bariatric patient and they still gave me something you do not perscribe to bariatric patients. When I saw the ortho guy the next day and he reveiwed what they gave me, he was furious and changed out the pain med. Of course after he drained the knee and put a cortizone shot in there, I really didn't need much anyway. Sleeves really handle meds much better than say bypass, but only after we are fully healed and even then, we still need to be careful.
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! I8 do not have a cold or anything yet, but everyone I know has it, so it is just a matter of time before I catch it.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're not feeling well. I had my surgery April 7, 2014. I got extremely lucky and did not have my first cold until January 1, 2015. So the meds weren't an issue for me...I must have been far enough along. Although, I do have one coming on now. :(