Sorry if this has been asked - Charge HR overestimating steps/burn

Options
silverchick
silverchick Posts: 42 Member
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked/explained already. I've been using a Fitbit One for a few years an found that it was pretty accurate. I got a Fitbit Charge HR yesterday and tried it out today. Right now MFP is saying I burned over 1,000 calories (I'm 234 pounds, female, 5'5"). This seems so ridiculously high. I did do a pretty intense Zumba workout for an hour but the rest of the day was spent inside and I did some walking upstairs and downstairs but not much else. When I wore an actual chest strap heart rate monitor in Zumba classes before, the max I would ever burn is 600-700 calories. Yes, I'm 30 pounds heavier, but that seems crazy.

From my research already, I will change the settings to Dominant Hand, but is there anything else I can do to get a more accurate reading? Otherwise, I'll just return this and go back to using my Fitbit One.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Have you compared your HRM to the burn you used to get from the ONE? I know the one doesn't measure zumba burns, but is there much difference at the end of the day over all?
  • silverchick
    silverchick Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No I haven't. But the most overall calories I've ever burned with my Fitbit One was 2800 and today I burned 3200 which seems super high for my level of activity today.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn for the workout is based on HR, not steps.
    Daily type stuff is based on steps.
    Just comparing what the MFP adjustment happens to be, and total daily burn, is really a good confirmation of good or bad estimate.

So just looking at the workout on it's own, compare current one with past one using other device.
    How do they compare for calories burned for equal time?

And looking at daily steps in your activity graph, compare some days outside of the exercise time - do the steps seem accurate.
    That's where the settings may come in to play.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    From my research already, I will change the settings to Dominant Hand, but is there anything else I can do to get a more accurate reading? Otherwise, I'll just return this and go back to using my Fitbit One.

Before you start messing around with it, trust your Charge HR for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

We should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.