Avoiding cholesterol deficiency?

Options
Cerasii
Cerasii Posts: 2 Member
Does anyone have tips for keeping cholesterol up while on a vegan diet?
We learned recently that low cholesterol can cause severe depression and insomnia, and on a vegan diet it seems almost impossible to get enough cholesterol.
What do you eat to get your cholesterol to normal levels?

(I'm not vegan myself, I'm here asking on behalf of a vegan friend who is struggling to get cholesterol into her diet in order to hopefully cure her insomnia. Hope you don't mind that I've joined your group!)

Replies

• Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your body is able to make all the cholesterol that you need from the fat that you take in.

I am unsure where you heard that re insomnia/depression but having a degree in Biology and having studied courses in nutrition I have never heard that....... even if this is the case (which I would need evidence in order to verify) as cholesterol levels in the blood are associated with genetics rather than diet, food choices are not the issue here.

You will not get any cholesterol from a vegan diet as cholesterol is only found in animal products.
  • Cerasii
    Cerasii Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you do some research via Google or Google Scholar, you should be able to find the research studies I found. It's not likely to be in a nutrition textbook yet, as the connection between cholesterol deficiency and depression (and other diseases) is still being studied.

Thank you for the tip regarding fats, we're looking into that more. Also, according to heart.org, your body's cholesterol production is not based entirely on genetics, you can increase it based on the fats you eat (hence why doctors tell those with high cholesterol to avoid certain kinds of fats).

Thank you for the other information you provided though, that's useful to know.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Has your friend had a blood test to confirm her cholesterol is too low? Just my thoroughly unscientific thought. I would start there & have a talk with her doc.
  • isalo1300
    isalo1300 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My doctor supports my vegan diet wholeheartedly. When I became a vegan, my bad cholesterol levels went way down, but so did my good. It's still at a good level, just on the lower end. She suggested incorporating more plant based fats like nuts and avacados. Personally I love having avacado toast or guacamole or just a handful of nuts. Pb&j is good too. :)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol deficiency is normally an indication of a medical condition that needs to be treated. Individuals within the healthy norms produce enough cholesterol for bodily functions so it is not needed as a dietary need in normal situations. If your friend really thinks this is an issue she/he needs to see a doctor to test and see if there any underlying conditions
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I eat 0 cholesterol, I was wondering if that was a good thing. Guess I will be talking to the Doc next week when I go in. I'm glad this was brought up :-)