Using mfp in pregnancy

Options
jeneverhart
jeneverhart Posts: 2 Member
Hi all-- After 6 miserable weeks of subsisting on french fries, coca-cola, or whatever else I could manage to get down, and with only enough energy to drag myself off the couch to go to the bathroom, at 11 weeks I am finally turning the curve and feeling like a return to my normal healthy diet and exercise routine is in sight.
I have put on weight (20#) over the past 2 years (office job, over 40, irregular exercise, etc.), but fitness and nutrition are very important to me and after pregnancy, I plan to get this weight off. During this pregnancy, my goal is healthy weight gain and return to a 5x/week exercise routine for healthy pregnancy, healthy delivery, speedy recovery, and post-pregnancy fitness.
My question is how should I set goals/settings on mfp so that I can monitor my caloric intake and exercise without any focus being on weight loss/gain? Is there a way to block the summary, "By June 23, you should weigh XX pounds?" I last used mfp about 1 1/2 years ago for weight loss and really liked it then. This time, I want to use it to generally monitor my eating habits and have better awareness, but I really want to steer clear of any weight notices.
Could you all let me know how you edit your settings during pregnancy? Thanks!

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Hello! Congratulations on your pregnancy! :) I craved coke and fries all during my first pregnancy too! This time has been better cravings wise.

How you adjust your settings depends on your pepregnancy weight. There are several pregnancy weght gain calculators you can try online that will give you a rough estimate of how much to gain. A simple Google search will give you several to choose from.

I had an "overweight" bmi and so I maintained during the first trimester and now I'm supposed to gain between 0.5-0.75 lbs per week for a total of 15-25 lbs by my due date. I have myself set to maintenance and I eat somewhere in between maintenance and 300 calories over each day.

I don't know if you can block the summary as I've never tried and I find it to be a useful tool.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello from another over 40 pregnant woman!

I decided fairly early on in my pregnancy not to log my food, as I was being overly restrictive of my calories when I know I need to be gaining. However, the first thing I did was change my goal from "maintain" to "gain 1/2 pound a week," which automatically bumped up my calorie goal. But I think the best thing would be to figure out custom goals for calories and nutrients (protein, calcium, iron, fiber would all be good options to track during pregnancy) and put those in your settings.

If you don't want to see the "if every day was like today" message, the simple solution is not to close out your diary at the end of the day. The only consequence to this is that the people on your friends list won't see the message that says "jeneverhart completed her food and exercise diary for 6/23/2015 and was under her calorie goal." All of your stats will still record the same way.
  • jeneverhart
    jeneverhart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for these helpful tips. I have set my goal for maintenance and simply add 300 calories to this. I may adjust as the pregnancy advances to the 1/2# weight gain. I also like the idea of not closing the diary to avoid anything about weight. I have been closing it and haven't been bothered by the weight declaration at the end. Really, I'm just so happy to finally be able to eat well and exercise again! Good luck with your pregnancies.