Weight Gain :( :)?

Options
Klhernandez81
Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
Okay, every coach I have had has told me, don't worry so much about losing weight, you're going to gain muscle, so it will all sort of level out...like some crossfit mantra drum they all beat...
And logically, I get that a pound of fat and muscle weigh the same, but that muscle is much more dense/small...
But at 199lbs and 5'7" and a size 14 when I started I definitely needed to lose weight, point blank. So I have really put in the work and I am (was) 36lbs down and now a size 8 all day and night. But the last couple of weeks I've gained two pounds, yet I've seen my measurements shrink. For reference, in college I weighed 165lb and was a size10/12.

Example:
original measurements - hip: 44, waist: 33 chest: 38.5
two weeks ago, hip:40, waist: 30, chest: 36
today: hips 39ish(38.5on one), waist: 28.5, chest: 35.

I don't feel like I've gotten enough "fat" off to really start seeing muscle gain, and I was expecting to be around 145lbs all said and done. But I can definitely see and feel the muscles in my legs and arms and my abs are starting to show.

So, two questions: should I be adjusting my diet for my lifting days with more protein? Something else? I do whey shakes now...but I'm not at crossfit everyday (4days a week) I also run and do yoga, and a couple two-a-days with CF and running or yoga and running.
Also, should I adjust my goal weight? I'm thinking I may be aiming a little low at 145. I appreciate advice from any ladies specifically who went from being bigger to CrossFit fit.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Guess what? You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. So, if weight loss was all that mattered, cutting body parts off would be the best way. You just need to look at two metrics, how you look and how you feel. Congrats on having body measurements. You’re performing better, you’re getting rid of body fat, you’re gaining muscle. Why do you care about how much you weigh? If you were a size 4 and weighed 180 lbs, would you care?
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't so much now if I'm putting on muscle I guess!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    But your measurements are getting smaller, so what do you think is really happening?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'll also add that as a woman, there is something on a monthly basis that is going to cause to gain and then lose weight. That could also be a factor here.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    my advice to you is to hide your scale for a few months. yes, that long. keep measuring yourself, that's fine. that's all that really matters. the goal is to lose body fat. adding muscle is a natural by product to working out. yes, adjust your diet. eat clean, eat more protein, limit your starchy carbs, eat more fat.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think 145 is unreasonable, though it may be a little hard to get to that with so much muscle. perhaps 150 is more realistic. check out some profiles of some games athletes that are also 5'7", check out what they weigh just for reference
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth I'm 5'7'', when I started crossfit I weighed around 145 and the highest I have been is 162ish in my 3 years of crossfit when I was doing a lot of double training days. Now I hover between 150-155 and I'm pretty comfortable here. I would love to get down to 15-16% body fat, I'm about 18% now, but I can honestly say I don't care at all what I weigh when I get there. I'm doing more of an IIFYM approach, working with a nutrition coach and eating at a bit of deficit but eating pretty clean compared to the pics of donuts/poptarts you see with IIFYM. I would suggest taking pictures, I take pics every week and its absolutely crazy to put them side by side from a few weeks apart even if I haven't seen any change on the scale. The scale only tells you your relationship with gravity :)