Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to MFP as a breast feeding mom

michellebfuerst
michellebfuerst Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Hello ladies, I have used this app before (probably not to its full potential) & it was very helpful keeping me accountable.
My miracle baby arrived last October & myself, my husband, & my son have been flying by the seat of our pants ever since! She is 20lbs of pure energy already at 8 months old. I am still breast feeding & intend to continue until she's between 12-18 months.
My question to you is how do I figure that in with my calorie count? The app suggests I consume around 1500 calories to reach my goal but I believe that's too low to produce milk. I know breast feeding itself burns calories but I have seen different numbers & am not sure what to count on. Any help is much appreciated & I love that there's a group for just us mamas!

Replies

• happyjacks
    happyjacks Posts: 31 Member
    Hi! I am also breastfeeding my 7 month old baby. I don't have a plan for how long to breastfeed. this is my third baby and the longest I've breastfed, but this little guy refuses to take the bottle so I've just been going with the flow of what he wants.

In terms of calorie intake, I am trying to do a minimum of 1800 calories a day, but I don't eat back my exercise calories. the biggest thing I've been doing is making sure that I drink plenty of water as my body has adequate fat storage to produce milk. now I could be completely off my rocker on my logic, but so far so good.

My suggestion would be to keep an eye on your supply with each calorie adjustment. I agree that 1500 seems low, so I'd start higher and cut back if you aren't seeing the losses you'd like. :smile:
  • michellebfuerst
    michellebfuerst Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for your response - I've been keeping it between 1800-1900 calories so we'll see where that gets me. 1500 left me starving! I've lost all but 5lbs of the weight I gained with her but I started off my pregnancy 30lbs higher than with my first 6 years before - so 35 lbs it is! I've tried on & off for 6 years to lose this 30lbs now I'm hoping to use the breast feeding to my advantage. Thank goodness it's summer so we mostly eat from the garden - that helps a ton! This 2 kids thing is for real - 1 was easy!
  • MadamChick
    MadamChick Posts: 52 Member
    I am nursing as well and I started out slowlywith just tracking and I lost weight but I watched the scale and when the weight loss started to slow I increased my mfp goal to lose a half pound to now a pound a week.