Modifying Modifications

Options
SatiaRenee
SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
Okay. As most of you know, I exercise in spite of myself sometimes. I have a balance disorder (cervical vertigo) and bad joints (severe osteoarthritis) and I often have to modify things. Every now and again, I have to even modify the modifier. Figuring out how to modify something can be a little confusing, though, and I know I'm not the only one who has to modify. Therefore, I thought a thread on modifiers might prove useful.

So if there's a move you cannot or should not do and you are at a loss as to how you would modify it, drop a query here and let's see if we can't all help one another avoid injury.

Replies

• TheFo1dOut
    TheFo1dOut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm still having trouble with surrenders. My knees are bad and I don't know if its the fact that my thighs aren't strong enough yet but I find myself just dropping to my knee and hard...I sometimes use my hands in front of me to really soften the blow, but I think dropping to my knee the way I've been is actually doing more harm than good. I honestly feel I'm still getting a good workout in even with the addition of my hands in the front.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Or maybe try kneeling on a cushion? Would that help? I would say that using your hands is a good compromise. If it ever starts to feel easy, I'd see if you can start to ditch the hands.

Here's my issue - I can't do jumping jacks or the skiing one. I'm in my mid 30's and I've had two kids... The bladder just ain't what she used to be. I feel like the modifications are too easy, but jumping just isn't going to work for me. Any suggestions?
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @TheFo1dOut I can't do the Surrenders. Between my bad knees and my balance, I find them impossible. Even without weights. Even using a chair for balance. I've tried more than once to make them work for me and I finally gave up. Maybe a year from now I'll try again. But for now I'm content modifying what Kat does.

Modifying Surrenders I do a back lunge/forward lunge on the same leg. I move at exactly the pace they do while doing The Surrenders. This works the same group of muscles although not quite as intensely.

@Katiebear_81 Well, I would first suggest Kegel exercises. I used to do them during my commute to work while listening to the radio. Sometimes I would squeeze to the rhythm of the music. Other times I'd try to hold hold hold the squeeze while at a red light. It really depended on my mood. It definitely helped me with the usual woman issues and, unlike my friends who are my age, I can laugh and sneeze without fear. But it doesn't happen overnight. It's like any other exercise. You have to keep doing it and it will get stronger.

As for modifying the jumping jacks and skiing one, I just step them out but I know what you mean. It doesn't "feel" like much. Here's where focus can really help. First of all, use your arms vigorously. Believe it or not, you can really work up a sweat just moving your arms. Don't believe me? I did an online bootcamp once and one of the exercises was called the Mr Miyagi, after the character in The Karate Kid movies. You know where he rubs his hands vigorously together to warm the palms? Doesn't seem like much, does it? Well, set a timer right now for 1 minute and do that, just rub your palms together for 1 minute. As Autumn says, you can do anything for 60 seconds.

Now, if you did that you are probably hating me because ouch ouch ouch your arms and shoulders and even abs were all working hard.

See? You can literally make stepping out a jumping jack or the cross country skiers a vigorous and rigorous exercise by really getting your arms involved. And focus on the muscles that are being targeted in the particular exercise.

Jumping Jacks: calves, hip abductors, shoulder abductors, core
    Cross Country Skiers: calves, quads, hamstrings, core, shoulders, biceps, triceps

Ss you step out these exercises, think about the muscles and try to isolate and isometrically squeeze them. Frankly, there are so many muscles being used, I'm not sure I could focus on all of them but I could on a few. So, for instance, with the Jumping Jacks, I might really focus on my abductors, both hip and shoulders, as I'm keeping things low impact. To engage the calves, try pointing the toe as you step out and again as you step in, alternating sides. Believe me, it may not seem like much but all movement adds up over time.

Obviously the same goes for the Cross Country Skiers--focus on a muscle or two and really strive to "hit" that muscle. You'll know you're doing it because the muscle will inevitably start to feel fatigued. If you step back far and deeply enough, you won't even have to think about working your lower body because all of that will already be working. Focus on the arms, moving them vigorously and strive to keep your heart rate up up up. After all, that's the purpose of the cardio workouts.
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    Good call. Thanks! I know I need to work on my pelvic floor, and it's on my list of things I need to do more of. Thanks for the reminder!
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!!! It was SUCH a relief to hear that I'm not the only one with these, um, bladder issues on a couple of the exercises! I was horrified the first time it happened.

On the plus side - after a couple of months of doing these strengthening exercises, I can now do my daily jumping jacks in the warmup without any issues. I just have to be sure to keep my abs and pelvic floor in tight, and then it works. Still can't with the x-country skiers but hopefully that will come.

(note: age 50 and 2 kids)
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    Aww... I'm only 34 (2 kids) and I'm having these issues! Well, I am hoping it gets better as I get stronger. I can do some things with no problems (ie. box jumps), but I think it's the legs apart and jumping bit :blush: I first knew I had an issue when I got on my trampoline with my step-daughter (she's a teenager - talk about embarrassing!).

Also, you do not look 50, not even close!
  • algregory
    algregory Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I modify surrenders by doing them by my couch and using my couch as a clutch. I push off of and lower down holding on. I alsoofigy the jumping jacks and a x country skiers. I'm fine following g Kat. I have lost 13 lbs in two rounds so I must be doing something right.
  • jpkrueger
    Options
    @Katiebear_81 you are my new best friend :). Thank you!!!!
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    You're welcome! :D
  • germany03
    germany03 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @jpkrueger I am in total shock . .... I have to second what @katiebear_81 said...you do NOT even look close to your age At All!!! I would have never guessed.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @jpkrueger I'm going to agree with the consensus. I always assume I'm not only the oldest but significantly so. I still win by 3 years. Whew!
  • jpkrueger
    Options
    As if I didn't love this group enough already..... :)
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    bump