Not thirsty but need to rinse mouth too often while running

Options
FitFitzy331
FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
Depending on the heat and humidity, I feel as though I need to rinse my mouth out on runs every 1-3 miles (In the winter I can go for at least 4 miles without it). I am 5'4" about 133lbs, 29yo and I've been drinking about 3/4-1gal water (not including other types of fluids, coffee, sports drinks, etc...) every day for about 8 months. I don't know if I'm just being whiny and letting my thoughts take over or if I physically need to change something to comfortably run more than 3 miles without needing water to rinse my mouth. I don't need to drink it, I don't feel thirsty, my mouth just feels dry and hard to swallow.

Since the temperatures got above 75 I've been bringing water with me for any run over 5 miles and my running group usually has 1 water stop on the route. I tried ignoring the feeling a few times, hoping it was all in my head, and twice it caused me to gag until I took some water.

I'm really not sure what this is or why I can't run for miles and miles without water like everyone else. I've only really been running for about 7 months so I'm not going particularly fast, my best 6mi race pace is 9:12min/mi and in these training runs I'm averaging 10:00-10:30min/mi. I have allergies but I take an OTC allergy pill that seems to take care of that but maybe it doesn't?

I guess I'm just wondering if anything that I'm doing sounds wrong or if anyone has any suggestions for how to get through the warmer months without a water bottle strapped to me.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I chew gum
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Dry mouth is a big side effect of OTC allergy meds. I drink like twelve camels after a year in the desert when I'm on Claritin-D seasonally.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I find chewing gum helps. I even tried special gum designed for runners - i didn't think it worked any better than regular gum though and it didn't taste as good. In the summer you should be hydrating on your runs. There is nothing wrong with drinking water. I always bring water with me on any run longer than 3 miles and it makes my runs so much more enjoyable.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I started running. I held a jolly rancher candy in my mouth when I ran. It worked well and also gave me a little sugar boost. I'm not sure if my body adapted to mouth breathing or what, but the dry mouth thing doesn't happen anymore (unless I am actually dehydrated and really thirsty.)
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I started running. I held a jolly rancher candy in my mouth when I ran. It worked well and also gave me a little sugar boost. I'm not sure if my body adapted to mouth breathing or what, but the dry mouth thing doesn't happen anymore (unless I am actually dehydrated and really thirsty.)
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I shamelessly carry a water bottle on my 3 miles and up runs. Something about 105+ real feel temperature makes drinking on small runs ok with me. Probably the OTC meds drying you out though...
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I liberally apply chapstick whenever I go out running - it seems to help with some of that "Oh my gosh I'm so parched" sensation.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't feel broken anymore. I'll try out candy or gum on my next few runs and see if any of them help, if not I'll have some water bottle pride. Thanks again!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Allergy meds can do that to you for sure. (As well as make your eyes dry and nose bleed.)

I am one of those salty sweat people. I hate it when it gets in my mouth when I run. Although not too ladylike, I have no issues with rinsing with the water in my bottle and spitting it on the ground.