Those off training days

Options
princessxmeow
princessxmeow Posts: 15 Member
Its benchmark week at my box and that means lots of 1 rep maxes and named WODs (we have at least 3 mean girls in the programming this week). I KILLED a 125lb 1 rep max clean and jerk Monday followed by Rx Grace (95lbs)...today the stars just were not aligned in my favor and Elizabeth left me trashed and scattered. My performance app recommended 95lbs for my cleans but in my warm up 85lbs felt like a safe place. By the time I got through my 21 I fell on my butt and had a missed rep. My coach had me back down to 75lbs and I was able to finish with a decent time but I fought for every clean and instead of 2 sets TNG I ended up breaking it up into 3 and 4...how do you guys channel your frustrations positively on your off days. I tend to beat myself up when I just don't feel like I'm performing at 100%

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :( sorry to hear about the rough day! I know how you feel though. I try to think of it as a long journey of undulating motion--sometimes spiking up and sometimes down but always trending upwards. It helps me to think that even on off days I'm building strength and stamina. One of my coaches always reminds me: what are you REALLY trying to do? Beat yourself or get stronger? If it's get stronger than that 75# is still gonna get you in that direction...but failure might not.

My other coach/owner is a Grid athlete and 3x regionals competitor. Safe to say he's pretty damned fit! But he says he rarely PRs on a regular basis and tries to be within +\- 5% instead of being pissed about a number. I've seen him flaunt hitting 90% of his max on off days. Because everyone knows we have off days--and hitting anything those days is a victory!
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You just have to approach it with an open mind - realise that you're still training your body, muscle memory will improve and every training session is a step forward.

Today I was absolutely *kitten* at snatches, whereas last week I was completely killing them. I even reverted to plastic pipe today just to work on movement as weights weren't behaving for me.

We're actively encouraged to drop weights and work on technique if it's 'one of those days'.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It seems like I am on the threshold of achieving so many goals and yet I have been walking away very frustrated lately. My coaches can tell I am a bit frustrated and they keep reminding me that I couldn't even do one pull up a year ago, that I couldn't break 90 degrees on my squats a year ago... etc! Yeah, we can be pretty hard on our selves! To get my head back into the game I try focusing on things I should be doing during recovery days like mobility exercises. Just started messing with the Lacrosse ball and still practicing my DU's. Sometimes I use a long handle from the garage and do slow motion movements like Squat Cleans, Thrusters working on muscle memory. Sometimes the best thing to do is just relax and watch a movie or play a video game.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    For us older guys, recovery and mobility are at least as important as doing the actual work, in my opinion. I haven't even really attempted squat cleans with any kind of weight becuse my front rack sucks so bad.

BTW....Fallout 4 coming out in November set in Boston. I might be incommunicado for a few days when that hits :)
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i blame off days on my period (sorry males)

Seriously though, women are weaker and their muscles recover slower in their luteal phase of their cycle (the 2 weeks leading up to your period). Even if I'm having an off day during the other half of the cycle, I will still chalk it up to somehow my cycle is messing me up and hormones aren't balanced. Even if it's not true, it pushes the blame onto something I can't control, and therefore don't beat myself up over.