Gastritis?

Options
loriloftness
loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
Called the nurse at my weight loss center this morning due to stomach pain I have been experiencing. Told her it tends to happen about 3-4 hrs after eating and during the overnight hours. Feels like a burning or like my stomach has been empty for 10 yrs. (not that I would really know what that feels like- ha ha) She said it sounds like gastritis. She is going to talk to the PA, but they will likely put me on Prilosec or something similar. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do you know what causes it?

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I had chronic gastristis for over two years prior to surgery - mine was a hereditary condition, and yes it can be extremely painful! I take pantaprozole 40mg twice daily and have for over a year and half, continued after surgery too... it helps tremendously! It's the reason I had the sleeve over bypass - my surgeon felt removing the portion of my stomach that produced the most gastric juices would be most helpful! Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining - it could lead to ulcers if untreated. Good that you reached out to doctor - I am sure they will get it under control - feel better, it's an awful feeling! Check out Mayo Clinic if your interested (lalthough some info can be dangerous sometimes lol) Feel better <3
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Sounds just as much like acid reflux to me... especially at night when you lay horizontal, and especially if you tend to eat closer to bedtime. Might try Zantac or Nexium generics first... Often people mistake hunger (feeling like you have not eaten in 10 hours) for reflux, excess stomach acid etc. Basically your stomach is still producing enough stomach acid for a whole meal, which you fail to give it... so it has all that extra acid just hanging around. Pick one of those two (they work differently, so if one fails, try the other) and take it regularly (twice a day) for a week to see if it helps.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I take Zantac and protonix...I don't feel the full effect of gastritis but I have a strange sensation...when my vagus nerve is under too much pressure (nerve in your stomach) I get super nauseous...but if I sneeze it releases the pressure and I feel better...I read gastritis and your vagus nerve go hand in hand
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Yes. My PCP tired to discontinue my Prilosec, a test to see if the acid reflux had been eliminated with the WLS which he said sometimes happens. After 2 days of what you described we decided I still have acid reflux. I will most likely be on Prilosec or it's generic form the rest of my life.

PS - I found that if I stop eating at least an hour before bed, I don't get the middle of the night acid attack.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Most people who have WLS are prescribed an acid reducer anyway just to prevent issues because it is so common, and it does make you think you are hungry. That is the first I have heard of it potentially curing it!

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I discovered my problem. It was the coffee drink I was getting at Caribou. It was a drink that was all coffee with just a little sugar/creamer/flavoring. I realized my worst symptoms came on days I had drank this. I stopped drinking it and my symptoms have disappeared. I'm a little sad to give it up, but I don't want to deal with that pain so I will.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I discovered my problem. It was the coffee drink I was getting at Caribou. It was a drink that was all coffee with just a little sugar/creamer/flavoring. I realized my worst symptoms came on days I had drank this. I stopped drinking it and my symptoms have disappeared. I'm a little sad to give it up, but I don't want to deal with that pain so I will.

:( I would be SO sad if I had to give up coffee. LOVE it. Glad you found out what the problem was, though.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    same thing happens to me. I'm on pantoprazole. It's gotten better, but for a while there, I was shooting stomach acid out my nose and aspirating it into my lungs. Think...yogurt.