Sleeve Question

Options
luke6283
luke6283 Posts: 11 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Hello,
l have about 5 months to go until my surgery with my endoscopy in a couple weeks. One question I keep forgetting to ask the doctor is once your fully healed, say 6+ months post-op, how much water are you able to drink at a time without feeling uncomfortable? I'll usually drink about half of a liter in one sip on a hot day. I realize my stomach will be smaller but wasn't sure if water stored a little better than food.
Thanks,
Luke

Replies

• gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The day after my VSG it took me all day (8am to 9pm) to drink 20oz with little sips. The 2nd day it was easier and I drank 32oz with no discomfort. By the third day I was able to drink 64oz, all with little frequent sips. The water tends to flow through as the swelling subsides.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Luke, your stomach will be about the size of a small banana. you won't be able to fit anywhere close to 1/2 liter of water (or anything else) in your new size, maybe about 250 ml or so at a time
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is a question I had preop myself. Right after surgery I had a hard time with water (especially plain) so it was sip sip sip all day. Now I can drink a 16 oz water bottle in about 10 minutes depending on meal timing (if I'm already empty it doesn't stay in my tummy-if full it takes a little bit). I don't feel abnormal, I just know that I can't pound a 32 oz drink like I used to in the old days :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I can get a 16oz bottle of water down in 10 minutes if I'm empty but may feel a little "sloshy" for a bit. It's something I have to watch now like if I go for dinner, then to an outside summer activity where I might be sweating. In that case, I'm full from dinner and even 30-60 minutes later will have limited capacity for water. Sometimes now I choose to eat extra lite to leave room to hydrate! Live and learn!
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a gulper, especially when working out. It's be a tough adjustment for me to just sip but that's what you have to do at first, obviously. I'm about 4.5 months out right now and the water thing is starting to feel more normal. I can't down a 16oz bottle in one go like I used to but I can now take 3 big sips at a time. So maybe 2-3 ounces at once. I make them go down a little slower than before but I can still do that in the 5-6 second range. Then I have to wait maybe 30-60 seconds to do it again. It has been sufficient for taking water breaks at soccer halftimes, during race type events, or when I'm mowing the lawn and it's 100 degrees. I no longer have a problem staying hydrated without spending an hour focusing on drinking. It helps to also do some sipping during the day while you are at a desk, etc. Generally the good eating habits haven't been hard (though getting protein is), but drinking slow, getting enough liquid and not drinking during meals was a big adjustment. The combination of getting used to it and things getting easier over time makes it feel more normal fairly quickly though.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I can drink a 16 oz glass down no problem. I also find I drink better with a straw even though they say that's a no no. It doesn't bother me at all.
  • terimorena
    terimorena Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks out and I agree with the straw statement. I drink double the water with a straw than without. It's a struggle but I see it gets better.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am about 21 months out, and I usually drink a 23 oz bottle of water during a one hour workout, but I can't gulp or guzzle like I used to. If I sip I am fine, but if I drink too much or too fast it's a little uncomfortable.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    One of the things I did that helped (I'm also a gulper) is that if I catch myself taking a large sip, I just hold the water in my mouth and swallow it a little bit at a time over the next few seconds and it definitely helps. I sometimes forget when I'm at the park water fountain, though, and OUCH. I'm almost five months out and I still have to be very careful at portioning down sips.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 months post surgery...I use a sport type bottle cap on every bottle I drink from..it seems to let me get a better flow from it without that gulping feeling, because the big gulps still seem to make me feel very uncomfortable in my tummy.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    At 10 months out I can drink 4-6 oz at a time (like, one glug glug glug while working out)--finishing a 20 oz bottle in around 30 minutes. Normally, I just sip normal amounts throughout the day and don't guzzle. That can leave me feeling a little nauseated if I'm not careful.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I was also very concerned with this. I golf and walk, and would try to drink 4-6liters of water each round. I was concerned that I would not be ae to get in that much water while golfing. What I did not factor in was how much less I sweat at 180 pounds down. I can now (9 months out) easily drink 32 ounces over a few holes (20 minutes), but I find I don't need nearly as much water over a round.

Like others, I find myself gulping sometimes out of habit. When I do it is uncomfortable or I hold it and swallow slowly. You will find a path that works.

Rob
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My job is outdoors much of the time and I'll forget that I can't chug a bottle of water anymore. A few times I've had to just spew it back out, it happens
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 4 years out and I can only get in about 3-4 ounces at once. And yes, even that is slightly unconfortable. Sipping is much better still.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    One of my favorite recoveries was when I could finally gulp again. Sipping constantly for almost a year had been frustrating. Two years out now, and can drink whatever I want. But I tend not to drink more than a cup at a time.
  • luke6283
    luke6283 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, that answers my question.
  • ambrosia79
    ambrosia79 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.5 years out and I can just about chug a bottle of water with no discomfort as long as it has been 45 minutes or more since I ate. I'd say I can get a 16 oz bottle down in 10 minutes if I really wanted to.