My Heart Rate Drops Dramatically During My Long Runs

Options
CallMeRuPaul
CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
I've been running for about 2 years now. A few months ago, my heart rate started dropping during my long runs. It's gone from about 160 bpm to about 75 bpm at 9-10 miles into my runs. I don't feel dizzy or faint when this happens, but I know it's not a good thing so I end up walking to let my heart rate recover. At first, I thought the cause was dehydration, but I figured out that wasn't the case. I then thought it was due to overheating, but I don't think that's it either. Has anyone experienced anything like this? As far as I know, I'm in excellent health. I get a physical and labs done at least once a year.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    My rule is that I do NOT mess around with my heart. If heart rate wonkiness happens, I'm at the doctor as soon as I know something is up.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My rule is that I do NOT mess around with my heart. If heart rate wonkiness happens, I'm at the doctor as soon as I know something is up.

This. I'm glad you're not symptomatic when it happens, but I think you should still get it checked out.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Equipment malfunction? Have you manually checked your pulse to be sure it is being reporting accurately?

If accurate, don't mess around. Get it checked.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Equipment malfunction? Have you manually checked your pulse to be sure it is being reporting accurately?

^^^ That!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My heart rate strap will sometimes give wonky numbers. Usually though it's when I first start running. It may shoot up to 176 or something when I know it's more like 110. It will after a bit settle down. If you take your pulse at your carotid artery, does it reflect a 76? If so, get it checked out. If reads much higher, then forget about it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My heart rate strap will sometimes give wonky numbers. Usually though it's when I first start running. It may shoot up to 176 or something when I know it's more like 110. It will after a bit settle down. If you take your pulse at your carotid artery, does it reflect a 76? If so, get it checked out. If reads much higher, then forget about it.

Mine does this exact same thing. It sometimes gives me numbers over 200, which I know is higher than my MHR. But it is almost always at the beginning of my run. However, if you think it's accurate, I would definitely talk to a doc.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

^^^ That!

I agree that an equipment issue is likely but this is worth investigating further.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've got a 15 mile run on Saturday and an 11 mile run on Sunday. I don't think it's an equipment malfunction, but I will manually take my pulse if/when my heart rate drops to see if it's accurate.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I have a benign arrhythmia and get this sometimes, though it most often bounces between low and high so I will get a reading of 50 and then a 220+ and in-between. When the battery needs to be replaced on my strap I get the steady drops like you are mentioning or when I accidentally wear it upside down (my Garmin has a left and right and the console - for lack of a better word - needs to be right side up). I would think you would be able to feel if it is a heart issue or an equipment issue. I suggest you see your doctor and ask for a 24hr Holter monitor you can wear on your long run to capture what your heart is doing, and hopefully you can reproduce it during the test.