Workout Check-in - Making fireworks in July!

Options
xcalygrl
xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
Corny... But I couldn't think of anything catchy for the title! And I'm in USA Holiday mode at the moment, so fireworks came to mind.

Workout B today.
Squats 5x5 at 160#. Man, these felt AWESOME!
OHP 5x5 at 75#. Deloaded 5#. These were stupid difficult. I take a week and a half off and my upper body gets all weak.
Deads 1x2 at 225#. So heavy. I'll try again next week and have to deload if I miss it (third fail).

Accessories:
Front squats supersetted with stiff leg deads
55# 8/8/10 for squats and 55# 10/10/10 for the deads

Legs are jell-o!

Replies

• parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was looking for a July thread.

Today is my rest day. I haven't ran since the 22nd (yikes!) but I have been consistent with lifting! Now that I have my own rack and weight set at home, I'm now able to fully invest into SL! I'm two and a half weeks back into the program. I had to de-load quite a bit, since I had to take a break in May, but am getting close to hitting my old numbers.

Squats: 135 (was at 150)
    BR: 85 (was at 95)
    OHP: 65 (yay!) (was at 60)
    BP: 65 (was at 75)
    DL: 130 (was at 165)

I have also used the deload to work on form! I've tweaked technique here and there and am generally feeling stronger. I'm forcing myself to hold off from adding 5 pounds blindly to a lift nowadays. It's been my pride fighting me, but I'm forcing myself to hold off. My squat tomorrow should be at 140, but I'm gonna hang out at 135 and try to fix my rounding back.

Tomorrow's workout will be:

SQ: 135
    OHP: Either sticking at 65 or jumping up to 75. I wouldn't do such a burst of weight, but I didn't buy fractional plates (dumb move) and have been moving up weights more than I've wanted to.

DL: 140
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Happy July all!!! I like the title xcalygirl- not corny at all!
    5x5
    Squat 100 (still slowly increasing as form holds true)
    BP 65 (deloaded 10# since over a week)
    Row 70 (stayed here-felt great)
    Video'd my squat today and looked good to my untrained eye! Feels a little slow going due to time off last month but still felt really good! Had a little doms yesterday from squats only the 2nd time I've really had it since lifting but it didn't bother me for today's session.. Something kind of nice about that kind of feedback from my body actually...
    Happy lifting!
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Workout B

Squats 5x5: 75lbs
    OHP 4x5 1x3 : 45lbs (first time failing at a lift but knew OHP would be the one!)
    DL 1x5: 85lbs

Started Accessory lifts

Close Grip Bench Press 3x5: 35lbs
    Bicep Curls 2x8: 20lbs
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    3 day for squats
    120 lbs x 3, 140 lbs x 3 and 160 lbs x 3. I probably could have got 4 (maybe even 5) but squats just play this huge mental game with me.
    5x8 95 lbs for accessories
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I was sore and it was so hard to sleep last night from the heat but I still went to the gym this morning. I did do 15 minutes on treadmill and a little trx to warm up since I didn't have work before lifting today. On the other hand, I also didn't do any accessories. Today would be shoulder and arm accessories but I have an 8 hour work shift coming up and it's freight day so my arms will get a workout later. Only 2 more to go in stage 7, woot!

NROLFW Stage 7 - Workout 4

high bar squats 3x6 @ 140 - these were pretty heavy and I moved slow but made it through

db squat with heel on plates 4x15 @ 22.5 - decided to increase weight instead of reps, okay though tiring
    db should press 4x15 @ 15 - kept to the same as last time
    db step-up 4x20 @ 22.5 - increase in reps and weight, 10 per leg
    underhand lat pull down 4x15 @ 60 - kept to the 60 this time, tough by the end

And I'm done for today though I was still sore from Tuesday's workout, so I'ma be sore all day. Now to eat foods.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ok, back on track. Deloaded today since my lifting record has been crap.

Started with pull up work waiting for the rack to clear. Got pretty much to my mouth :)
    6 negative pull ups.

Squat - 3x5 at 135 lbs
    Bench - 3x5 at 65 lbs
    Row - 3x5 at 70 lbs

Shrug - 3x8 at 50 lbs
    Skullcrushers - 3x8 at 35 lbs
    Barbell curls - 3x8 at 35 lbs
    Hyperextensions - 3x10 with 10 lbs
    Cable crunches - 3x10 at 50 lbs

I was surprised at how weak I felt. It sucked, but I guess motivation to not slack off again.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Squats 110 pounds. Felt better today but still staying here to work on form and mobility.
    Ohp 50 lbs
    Deadlift 115 lbs. Feeling heavy but awesome!

Lunges, assisted chin ups
    My foam roller came today. So excited to try it!I
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    gym full of people and a two-hour lineup for the squat rack. i stretched/bodyweightstuffed for a while, and came home.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs a two hour line up for a rack! Holy crap!!!

Lifted tonight. Feeling a little beat up and glad to have the next two days off lifting. Think I'm ready for a deload week - I just feel like I'd like to smash some weights, not grind and push and struggle all the time! Don't get me wrong, hitting PRs is freakin amazing, but I'd like to throw some things around ya know!!

Squat 5x5x160lbs - these were UGLY and grindy (not sure if a word...)
    OHP 5,4,4,4,4 x 80lbs URGH
    Deadlift 1x5x210lbs and 1x3x230lbs woohoo! Stoked cos a couple of months ago 230 was my 1RM!!

Superset 5x5 of accessories for tris, bis and abs

Tired now and bed
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Today was bench and power cleans 3 day.
    Bench 75 lbs x 3, 90 lbs x 3, 100 lbs x2 and one roll of shame
    Power clean 75 lbs x 3, 90 lbs x 3, 100 lbs x1, tried again got another, tried one last time and just couldn't do it.
    Accessories
    bench 8/8/8/8/5 just didn't feel like roll of shaming it again so I stopped at 5 on the last set
    Power clean 5x8 75 lbs

Then I went with my hubby to do his c25k and finally I went for my 5k.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Lots of stuff happening already, great work everyone!

I did my long jog this morning even though I didn't want to get out of bed at 7 and really need to get up even earlier than that. Drove over to the park, which was nice but there was a half-marathon thing going on so a section of the park included other joggers. It wasn't bad just odd cause some like to cheer each other on and I got a couple cheers even though I wasn't part of it, lol. Also, when passing a couple of guys one made a "oo a real runner" comment as I went past. That was weird. Anyways, I jogged 40 minutes so basically a 5k. Also my hamstrings are still sore so that was rough but I made it through. Now to suffer my day off in the heat and maybe try to bake cake for tomorrow.
  • mirrim52
    Options
    Decent workout this morning. Still on a bit of a deload.

Squat - 3x5 at 140 lbs. Hard, and one or two reps could have had better form. I may repeat, just to be sure.
    OHP - 3x5 at 55 lbs. This isn't a deload, just didn't move up. Felt fine, I will probably do 57.5 next time.
    DL - 1x5 at 165 lbs. Challenging, but good. First rep was the hardest. Really need to pick up chalk.
    Row - 3x5 at 65 lbs - light day. I was surprised at how easily these flew up. I actually checked to make sure they were 10 lb plates on the bar :pensive:
    Close grip bench press - 3x8 at 40 lbs. easy.
    Barbell curl - 3x8 at 40 lbs - really challenging. barely got the last one out.
    Cable curl - 3x10 at 50 lbs - still feeling really hard.

No time for pull up work, but then took the kid to the park this evening, and did an honest to goodness actual pull up on one of the bars! I almost didn't believe it, so did another one 10 minutes later. The bar was fat, so had to do a double overhand grip. I don't know if that made it easier??
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    The bar was fat, so had to do a double overhand grip. I don't know if that made it easier??

i thought underhand was supposed to be the easier one because biceps. congratulations though :D:D:D that's pretty huge.
  • mirrim52
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    The bar was fat, so had to do a double overhand grip. I don't know if that made it easier??

i thought underhand was supposed to be the easier one because biceps. congratulations though :D:D:D that's pretty huge.

Sorry, I mean thumbless grip. I always do overhand :P I haven't actually tried an underhand chin up in forever.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!!! That is awesome!
  • DawnEmbers
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Interesting holiday. I tried making a red/white/blue cake but failed on a number of accounts. Should have just frosted the red and blue cake cause they came out okay yet I still tried to combine and stack the cakes. It was messy looking but at least tasted good. Worked and I stayed busy though we weren't busy customer wise. Then I went to the gym. It was nice and quiet with just a few people working out. Just one more workout and I will be done with this program.

NROLFW Stage 7 - Workout 5

warm-up with front squats 3x5 @ 65 - Okay. I tried holding it sort of regular but my elbows don't get up as high as is recommended on the form, but I sort of managed and my wrists ached a bit from it.

barbell incline bench 2x8 @ 70 - hefty but managed, still find incline awkward
    seated row 2x8 @ 80 - still feels heavy

static lunge 4x16 @ 22.5 - tried weight increase this time, did okay
    push up 4x15 using a bench - still struggle, I find push ups hard to improve on overall
    bar romanian deadlift 3x15 @ 70 - heavy, my arms struggled to keep holding it by the end
    db bent over row 4x15 @ 22.5 - slight weight increase, tough on last reps

For fun:
    flat dumbbell bench press 3x8 @ 25 - did okay, arms were tad shaky from previous lifts
    bent over barbell row 3x8 @ 70 - figured since I still had the 70 I'd try it, prefer it over dumbbell row

That is all. Next up is am middle distance jog after some sleep.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well bench turned into a 3x3 at 85lbs. At least I could rescue myself out of the forth rep by rolling the barbell to my knees, then sitting up and lowering it to the floor. Probably not something you can do when things get heavier!

Squat 3x5 at 105 getting less pain and working on my butt wink so that's a win.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jogged for 2.5 miles today. Managed to leave before 7:30 which was good because by 8 it was getting pretty warm outside.
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    (Hi everyone I just joined!)
    I haven't been hitting the gym like I've wanted to, last round was
    SQ 110lb 5x5
    OHP 4/3 at 60lb, deweighted to 55b and finished 5/5/4
    DL 1x5 155lb.

Both BP and BR are at 75b.

All I've done this weekend has been a 4 mile bike ride around my neighborhood (which I probably won't repeat, I don't live in a nice neighborhood!) and some of those dorky "do this exercise when this happens" TV-show regimens from Pinterest while I've been watching Netflix. This is the problem with three-day weekends and your gym is next to your work!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    Well bench turned into a 3x3 at 85lbs. At least I could rescue myself out of the forth rep by rolling the barbell to my knees, then sitting up and lowering it to the floor. Probably not something you can do when things get heavier!

Squat 3x5 at 105 getting less pain and working on my butt wink so that's a win.

I've done the roll of shame with 150lbs and it wasn't that bad. As long as you're controlling the weight down, you're strong enough to roll it up, no worries ;)

So, hey, hi! It's been a while, folks :)

I'm back to my previous program: Unbreakable Bada$$ 2.0 - Compete phase

Started thing up real nice yesterday with broad jump test (managed 77 inches on my longest jump, I think)

Snatch - worked up to 100lbs! Triple digits!

Squat - 195 lbs, that's also a PR! =D

Metcon: 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 for time [5:56]
    - Power clean @ 85lbs
    - Wall ball @ 12lbs ( I did the first 4 with 16 but my skillz were srsly lackin' so I downgraded lol)

Then today was some more testing funsies

Clean & Jerk -> Got up to 117.5lbs =D

Pull-ups MAX (65lbs assist, chin-ups, 7) + 3xsubmax (75lbs assist 4 (pull-up)/3(wide grip)/6(chin-ups)
    Pike press MAX (12' box x 14) + 3xsubmax (on ground) 10/8/9

And finished up with 6x 1min AMRAP + 30 seconds rest
    - Thruster x5 (first 2 rounds with 70lbs, last 4 with 65)
    - Sit-outs R.A.T. (39 total on each side)

I was so. done. after. that... So happy to be back at it, though!

Oh and if anyone is interested, I have videos of all those PRs on my instagram https://instagram.com/krokador/