What next?

Options
Completed a half marathon is the next step marathon??? Or just improving on time? Is the full the follow on or not for all??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Both, either, whatever you fancy!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Whatever you feel like, really. But the marathon is a whole different beast. I ran 8 HMs over 6 years before feeling really ready to tackle a marathon. HM is a great distance to repeat and work to improve!
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Go after the marathon!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I ran half marathons when I started racing, and after three of them I did a full marathon, but I'd never done 5k and 10k races. It then took me AGES to be as fast as I thought I should be at those! I vote for a few more years of shorter races and improving your speed, racing ability, and building a base and THEN moving on to marathons if you still want to.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a mountain and run trails.

:smiley:
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Completed a half marathon is the next step marathon??? Or just improving on time? Is the full the follow on or not for all??

Whatever you want? What do you like doing?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a do what you want next. There's all kinds of distances. Do the ones you enjoy and train for a marathon when you feel ready. I've run 6 HM's and don't feel ready, but plan to run one in 2017.

My first, and only so far, distance past HM was a 25km (15.5 mile) trail race. Loved it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Just keep running. Don't feel compelled to run a marathon. It's not just two halfs. Completely different beast.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I had ten years of running between my first half marathon and my first full marathon. I really, really feel like this has given me a good advantage at the marathon distance because having that base to build on is a huge help. I think that there are a lot of people that rush into the marathon distance and either get injured or burn out completely because they do not realize what they are getting into. Yes, it is the immediate next progression for many people, but what's the rush?