Workout Check-in - Making fireworks in July!

Replies

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    I hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th! I drank and ate way over my calories for the day and severely paid for it at the gym today with an awful workout.

Squats: 110 lbs dis not get a full 5x5 and app is making me deload. Probably a good thing as I am working on form. I felt so deflated because I nailed the first set. Then it just got bad and almost had to drop the bar to the racks.
    Benchpress: 65 lbs
    Rowa: 80 lbs. Missed one and form was a little sloppy

Step ups, dips -46lbs, and the only win...I actually did barbell hip thrusts!

I felt good that I went and next workout I will kill it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    andylllI wrote: »
    Probably not something you can do when things get heavier!

i bench without clipping the plates specifically so if i ever get to a fail i'll be able to just tip the bar to one side and let them slide off.

@Anniel88 yay hip thrusts! they're not really any more suggestive than squats, if you think about it. or roumanian deadlifts, or . . .
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Nice cool day got 12.25 km in an hour and a half. Lost my fitbit along the way but found it on my way back.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Probably not something you can do when things get heavier!

i bench without clipping the plates specifically so if i ever get to a fail i'll be able to just tip the bar to one side and let the weights slide off...

I want to but it's a home gym with radiant in floor heat and I don't want to drop weights on the floor...I don't even know if you could crack or break one of the pipes but I don't want to find out!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    ^^^i have radiant floor heating, too. Original 1949 system. No dumping plates or dropping bars for me, either!
  • canadianlbs
    I want to but it's a home gym with radiant in floor heat and I don't want to drop weights on the floor...I don't even know if you could crack or break one of the pipes but I don't want to find out!

oh, great point. never occurred to me but it makes sense.

it. is. so hot here, and that's not even the problem. getting kippered by second-hand smoke from all the burning trees out there, and the thermal-inversion situation is getting awful.

anyway. didn't want to go but i went and this time i did workout b properly. sort of.

squats: 65. i just don't even. so frustrated with buttwink and squats.

ohp: 50. without a rack too, so i was cleaning the bar, and i did a few 45lb sets too as warmup earlier on. so that part's okay.

deadlift: 120. i believe that's an increase.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Forgot to check in on Friday.

Workout A
    Squats 5x5 at 165#. These felt good and strong again.
    Bench 4/5/2/3/3 at 115#. These were poop. I was fed up by set 4 and 5 that I just did 3 reps each then said eff it.
    Rows 5x5 at 95#.

After my crappy bench, I called it a day and went home.

Sunday: another crappy workout. I got 10.5 miles into a 12.5 mile bike ride and had a blow out. So, I walked home with a rear flat tire. Then set out to do a run. About 0.75 miles in, I said eff it and went home. I didn't want to get up early and workout to begin with, so I took the not so great workout as my opportunity to be done with it.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    @canadianlbs I've been trying to follow the advice here for squat mobility: http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/squats-and-hip-dysfunction-2-common-problems-and-how-to-fix-them

I can barely do the paleolithic chair for 30 seconds let alone 10 mins!
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Hello! I just started SL5X5. I completed day 1 workout A today. I feel accomplished and puny at the same. :p
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    My first July workout was Friday, but forgot to post it last week.

Workout A:

Squats, 5x5@80 lbs. Going to move up to 85 lbs next workout.
    Bench, 5x5@60 lbs. These were tough towards the end, but got them done. I will try 65 lbs next time.
    Rows, 5x5@60 lbs. These felt pretty easy, definitely think 65 lbs will be doable next time.

RDLs, 3x10@60 lbs, lunges, and calf raises for accessories.

Since I had extra time due to having the day off from work, I did a full hour on the elliptical.

I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday!
  • canadianlbs
    Anniel88 wrote: »

thanks. i also need to go back and read the full squat chapter of starting strength to see what i can (re)learn from that. definitely way too much quad has become part of my problem/symptom set.

• Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Forgot to log my friday's workout.

Workout A

Squats 5x5: 87.5lbs (I accidentally plated 10lbs higher than I was supposed to but still did it. Lol)
    BP: 5x5 : 52.5lbs
    Row: 5x5: 52.5lbs

Skullcrushers 1x8 1x5: 22.5lbs
    Modified pull ups 4: bw
  • Pickles175
    @Jackie0Marie we all started at the beginning too! I've only been doing it for a couple of months and feel so much stronger. Just stick with it. Slow and steady wins the race. :smile:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Deadlift 1 day (because only thing I get out of bed for on Monday is deadlifts)
    170 lbs x 5, 190 lbs x 3, 215 lbs x 2!!!!
    5x8 sumo deadlift @ 140 lbs superset with goblet squats 25 lbs.
    Unfortunately it is 9 am and I have eaten all of the 1300 kcals I brought in for the day. Feed me!!!!
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    @Pickles175 - Thanks! That's what I keep thinking and I'm looking forward to the progress (the long road ahead). I'm good with slow and steady. :)
    Although, I had a good laugh this morning, here I am finishing a set benching 45lbs bar and when I'm done I see this guy on a bench next to me benching 350lbs like nothing. We all start somewhere indeed.
  • Pickles175
    edited July 2015
    Workout B

Squats 5x5: 90lbs
    OHP 5x5 : 45lbs
    DL 1x5: 90lbs

Close Grip Bench Press 3x5: 37.5lbs
    Bicep Curls 2x8: 22.5lbs

Managed all 5 sets of squats, but going to stick at 90lbs for next time as it was a struggle near the end.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    edited July 2015
    hi all!

Welcome to our newbies :-)

Last nights effort

Squat 5x5x160lbs - these were nasty but got them done
    Bench 5,5,5,4,4 x 95lbs - urgh so hard much grind
    Row 5x5x105lbs - why is row my new favourite exercise, random!!

Superset for legs/butt 3x5
    Bulgarian split squat with 35lb dumbbells
    Front squat with 55lb barbell
    Hip Thrust with 125lb barbell
    Romanian deadlift with 125lbs
    Crouching bench step up - ouch

Feeling a rest week is in my future very soon!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Welcome Jackie0Marie!!
    All 5x5:
    Squat 105
    OHP 50!!! (Have been at 45 since May)
    DL 125
    Increased in all 3 lifts - whoop! The ohp was definitely a struggle but got it done. Glad to get a workout in as I won't be able to lift again until Saturday. Tired and happy.
  • canadianlbs
    Anniel88 wrote: »
    @canadianlbs I've been trying to follow the advice here for squat mobility: http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/squats-and-hip-dysfunction-2-common-problems-and-how-to-fix-them

I can barely do the paleolithic chair for 30 seconds let alone 10 mins!

if you can stand trucker mouth (i kind of enjoy it from this guy) and you lift alone this has a very cool idea that's so simple i can't figure out how i never thought it up for myself, starting at around 3 minutes in.

if you can't take the swearing, the too-rude-didn't-listen form of it is: strong adhesive tape on both sides alongside the spine, so you'll be able to feel it pulling when your butt starts to wink.

i know there's some duct tape around here somewhere . . .

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Workout B yesterday.

Squats 5x5 at 160 pounds. These felt pretty good.
    OHP 5/5/4/5/2 at 80#. These were heavy. I actually debated not bumping up from 75# last week but decided to. I should have stayed at the 75# for this week before bumping up. Oh well.
    Deads 0 at 225#. I felt stupid weak when I attempted to pick this up. I didn't even budge it. I tried 3 times, then said eff it. I ended up doing 3x2 at 185# just for grins and giggles and because deadlifts.