Breastfeeding

Options
How do you calculate the calories burned during breastfeeding?

Replies

• maicap22
    maicap22 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    From what I researched on the net is average of 500 cals for exclusively breastfeeding moms. Right now, I enter 200 in mine since my son is already 17 months and eating solid foods. Based on net resources again. making 1oz of milk is equals to 20cals burned.

I just enter as a negative calorie food in my diary. There's a database entry for that. You can also enter it as an exercise but I choose to enter as negative cal food so I can see how much carb, protein and fat it is getting from the food I take in.
  • DanaFiles1427
    DanaFiles1427 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everything said already, but I wanted to add. I don't input calories burned nursing because it's one of the activities I was already doing when I was gaining. I've been nursing for almost three years now. I would keep track if your supply is not well established (nursing a new baby), but I wouldn't otherwise. My supply has not suffered through my weight loss.
  • aemganesh
    aemganesh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding and I have to say I get so discouraged. People constantly talk about how their baby weight melted off while they breastfed, but that is not happening for me at all! Does anybody else have that problem?
  • grettybee
    grettybee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My weight is slowly coming off- maybe due to breastfeeding, maybe due to a healthier lifestyle. According to this app, it burns 500 calories per 30 oz. Which is hardly enough because it makes me SO hungry. Breastfeeding cravings are so much worse than pregnancy cravings!
  • rghendo
    rghendo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Russha wrote: »
    I'm breastfeeding and I have to say I get so discouraged. People constantly talk about how their baby weight melted off while they breastfed, but that is not happening for me at all! Does anybody else have that problem?

Yes - through nursing 2 babies. Some bodies are just built to hold on to it while nursing, which would be great if we were cavewomen. I'm still nursing #2 and know that when we wean the weight will start coming off again. Try not to get discouraged!
  • sugarmanju
    sugarmanju Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you enter breastfeeding into your daily diary?
  • graywn
    graywn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is listed under food. "Exclusively breastfeeding" takes off 500 calories. Since this messes with the calorie count in a meal (I want to compare calories across meals), I created an entry for breastfeeding that I log under exercise.
  • twiigo
    twiigo Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I hear you sister, I always gain. I attribute that to two main factors. I am too tired to prepare proper meals so there is an increase of high fat, high calorie foods, which also increases cravings for more unhealthy food.
    The second being not as active because most of the day is dedicated to maintaining daily life and caring for the baby. But with MFP I have taken those things back into control now that my baby is 4months. Well I still struggle with the housework but I haven't found an App for that. :)
  • krw1183
    krw1183 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with being frustrated when people say "oh you'll be back to normal in no time if you breast feed". I still have 10-12 pounds to go and I only just started losing the weight. My LO is 3 1/2 months old and I exclusively BF. I don't enter that in as negative calories but just know that I'm burning between 400-600 a day. I try to eat 1800-2000 healthy (ok mostly healthy) calories a day. 3 months postpartum was kind of a turning point for me as far as weight loss.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had bf for a year, when I found out I was preggo with number 2, and I still had 10 lbs to go to pre-pregnancy, & many more to get back to where I was when I got married, which is almost 3 years ago, now. I'm trying to be more conscientious of what food I put in me this time around, without feeling totally deprived. I'm eating my veggies, before I eat anything else. And if I feel the need for more seconda, then I asked myself: do I want more veggies? If the answer is no, I'm not hungry, I'm just eating to eat. If I hit my calorie goal for the day, but I'm still truely hungry, I eat something, because my body probably needs it. Sorry for the rambling!
  • looneypumpkin
    looneypumpkin Posts: 12 Member
    Options

It's more common to retain weight while breastfeeding for what I've learned. Mine didn't start coming off til 8 months postpartum. He's 14m now and I still got a few lbs to go, plus the before fat.
  • twiigo
    twiigo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    On a positive note my baby is six months now and I'm only 2lbs from pre-baby weight. On mfp for a little over two months. Ideal weight 50lbs away, but I'm taking it one day at a time. One motivated momma here!! :)
  • MadamChick
    MadamChick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't count my breastfeeding calories. I just set a modest goal of losing 1 lbs per week and just watch my supply.