How many calories when nursing

Options
Hello Ladies,

I was wondering how many calories are you eating while losing weight while nursing. I'm 5'8", nursing a four month old, and need to lose about 60 lbs.

Thanks,
Monica

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 lbs to lose. I'm currently eating 2500-2700 calories a day, plus working out about 30 minutes every day and just generally trying to stay active.

I'll let you know how that's working for me in a few weeks. So far (most importantly) my milk supply is not affected.
  • ElijahsMom1114
    ElijahsMom1114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned

I used this calculator. It has an option for nursing and then i adjusted MFP calorie goal. I'm 5'8 nursing a 6 month old, just started MFP today. I'd like to lose at least 60 lbs. I'm thinking as long as I do 2000-2500 I should be good at losing about 1 lb or so a week and not hurting my supply.
  • jctk0419
    jctk0419 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10", eating about 1750 calories a day, net (eating back exercise calories). Sometimes I go over, sometimes under. I've been logging for about a week, and it doesn't seem to have affected my milk supply. I'm nursing my 4 month old at night and pumping at work.

I'm going to give it a bit longer to see if I maintain at this level or if I lose weight. I lost my babyweight, but have generally plateaued at the weight I was at for months pre-baby. I could stand to lose 30 pounds.
  • sw6709
    sw6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Currently 10 weeks pp exclusively BF. I am 5'5 and 136.5lbs (prepregnancy was 135). I was eating about 1900 cals and was losing an average or 2lbs a week. The calculators all said I should eat around 1700-1800 a day to lose 1lb a week but that clearly wasn't the case. After tracking my food intake and exercise for the last month I have determined that I need to be eating a whopping 2900cal a day just to maintain at 135.
    However this may be due to a medical issue, I am seeing the Dr tomorrow to see what's up.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Around 500 calories extra, is the recommend!
  • Cecilhdz
    Cecilhdz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So how do you adjust calories in order to lose weight on MFP it recommends me eating 1,500! Do I add 500 to that and eat 2000? I'm so confused! Also I haven't got cleared to work out I need to lose about 20lbs to get back to pre-png weight
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Cecilhdz wrote: »
    So how do you adjust calories in order to lose weight on MFP it recommends me eating 1,500! Do I add 500 to that and eat 2000? I'm so confused! Also I haven't got cleared to work out I need to lose about 20lbs to get back to pre-png weight

You can custom adjust your goals. I would add 500 and not aim for more than 1lb/week and see what you lose after a few weeks. If you are losing, great! If you aren't losing (or not as fast as you want) and milk seems fine, lower by 100-200 calories do another week and see.

I am nursing my 2 year old but trying to make sure to keep supply up and I am 5'6" 190 - MFP gives me 1800 calories/ day to lose a pound a week and I tell my fitbit I am nursing. I tend to net more like 1500 or so (some days higher some lower) but I put the focus on getting more good food variety into me and drinking enough water - I feel FULL at 1500 calories and my milk doesn't seem affected.

I would also say you could eat 1500-1700 and see what you are losing with out exercise, then get cleared and maybe eat back half your exercise calories to be sure your net calories don't dip too low.