Fitbit Calories & MFP Calories

Options
breeze_brat
breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
Fitbit says I have 1353 calories left to eat and MFP says 1200. My question is do I subtract 250 - 500 calories from what Fitbit says I have 1353 - 250/500= 1103/853 or do I eat what they allow me? I'm confused what is meant when they say subtract from Fitbit burn.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you the one who started a thread yesterday saying your Fitbit isn't syncing with MFP, and you wanted to know how many calories to eat? (In future, please reply in the same thread rather than starting a new one, so people know what you're talking about.)

First of all, there are no known syncing issues right now (MFP has posted no announcement in the Help section), so contact MFP customer support about your syncing problem.

Secondly, you can either trust your Fitbit calorie goal (1,353) or subtract 250 calories for every 25 lbs. you're overweight from your Fitbit calories burned. (In the Fitbit app, it says "x calories burned" next to a flame.)
  • breeze_brat
    Options
    yea that's me, sorry didn't think about it.

I wrote them before and they gave me a generic reply saying how it works with no help with my issue, so don't want to waste my time just to get a generic reply again.

Okay, guess it's just not sinking in my brain, sorry. If I subtract calories from my burn what does that do? I'm confused why it should come off the burn and not the actual calories allowed because how I look at it is I would still get 1353 calories unless I subtracted from that?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wrote them before and they gave me a generic reply saying how it works with no help with my issue, so don't want to waste my time just to get a generic reply again.

Disconnect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Delete the MFP app & the Fitbit app. Restart your device, and reinstall the apps. Reconnect your accounts.

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    yea that's me, sorry didn't think about it.

Okay, guess it's just not sinking in my brain, sorry. If I subtract calories from my burn what does that do? I'm confused why it should come off the burn and not the actual calories allowed because how I look at it is I would still get 1353 calories unless I subtracted from that?

If you subtract calories from your burn - you are eating less than you burn - you will lose weight.

MFP was going to get a total daily burn figure from Fitbit, which of course synced over from your device.
    It was going to subtract a deficit to make you eat less than you burned.

If syncing at any place isn't working - you can do exactly the same thing.

Device says daily burn 2000 at dinner time - subtract say 500 - eat 1500 goal for day.

Later near bedtime device says daily burn 2200 now - subtract same 500 - eat 1700 goal for day.

If you hit the 1500 at dinner time - you now get a 200 cal snack before bed. Yeah!
  • breeze_brat
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So in other words use the burn as calories (sorta), now that makes sense why you would subtract from the burn. Thanks heybales! Yes yeah for snacks haha

It is syncing/working on the Fitbit website and is here at MFP now, but it doesn't always sync here, like every week lately :(