Stomach Pain when Walking

Options
SSONIAC
SSONIAC Posts: 1 Member
I'm 21 weeks pregnant and just began exercising yesterday. I walked 2 miles in 35 minutes. I have been feeling pain in my stomach. I'm not sure if it's pain or cramps but either way it's uncomfortable and I'm worried. This is the only part that is different since I've been pregnant. This is my second child and I was on bed rest with my first one the second half of my pregnancy. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm wondering if I should not exercise again, not to risk it.

Replies

• sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For starters, I have not talked to the doctor specifically about this issue yet, but I'm 21 weeks pregnant and get the same thing. Mine usually goes away after I stop walking, so I just assumed it was round ligament pain. But it never hurts to give your doctor a call and just ask!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Does it stop when you stop walking? Sometimes when I laugh or move quickly I get a pain in my stomach but it's in a really hard spot (either baby's bum or head) so I just figured it's skin stretching or muscles being restricted.

Your doctor is only a phone call away though and if it does end up being an issue it's always better safe than sorry, so I'd suggest calling to ask. :)
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I'm 35 weeks today, and I've just started having this problem over the last week or so. It's almost like a side stitch kind of feeling for me. Is that what y'all are getting too? It goes away when I stop walking, so I haven't been too worried about it.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If the pain is on the sides of your abdomen, or very low in the front of your pelvis, it could be either round ligament pains or symphysis pubis pain. Both are really uncomfortable but don't cause any danger to the baby. I had a really bad weekend of symphysis pubis pain when I was about 19 or 20 weeks, but it hasn't returned since then. Adjusting the pillows I sleep with to keep my knee propped higher seemed to make a big difference.

In any case, I agree with everyone else who says you should check in with your doctor or midwife. That's what they're there for!
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 weeks pregnant with twins and had the exact same issue. I brought it up to my doctor and they said it was ligament pain and to get a support band. I did get a belly bra which made walking (for exercise) more comfortable but I still can't run and it's not completely gone. I've been told to stick to exercises that are more comfortable.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been having numbness/prickling pain in thighs (yes I know totally different but sort-of related) and the Dr. said it was because the baby was low and sitting on a nerve. I need a belly band (see, this is where kind of related) to help hold the baby/belly up. Thought I'd share in case anyone else was going through that. He said stretching and leg lifts should help too.
  • TANNE21
    TANNE21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen on and off too. Most of the time I will have pain starting off on walks and the walking will help it go away. At other times, walking would seem to provoke the pain and then I just took things extra slow. The pain was never intense though, just more sore.