Holidays

Options
tazjosh
tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
just wondered what people do? I'm only going for a few days, and know there's no way of logging most of the calories. Do you just leave it blank while your away? As for my Fitbit. Shall I leave it at home ? Will this effect my app if it has a few days of 0 steps?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Wear your Fitbit! I always get way more steps on vacation—so much to see & do.

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/I-m-going-on-a-trip-What-should-I-know-about-traveling-with-my-Fitbit/

I log on vacation. As an added bonus, it helps me remember all the new foods I had.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Last time we went on a trip, I found it hard to log my food, but I logged something every day so I'd preserve my "streak" of logging in. I did wear my Fitbit. While I have generally found my Fitbit to be very inaccurate at counting flights of stairs, it was just about correct as to how many flights of stairs would be climbed when one walks out of Carlsbad Caverns.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    While I have generally found my Fitbit to be very inaccurate at counting flights of stairs, it was just about correct as to how many flights of stairs would be climbed when one walks out of Carlsbad Caverns.

The stair count does not affect your burn in any way—it's just a fun motivating metric. It's based on changes in air pressure, so you can get lots of "flights" just walking outdoors on a windy day.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know that. It was just interesting to see how accurate it was when climbing out of the caverns (something like the equivalent of 79 floors). There's no wind to throw it off.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Wear your Fitbit! I always get way more steps on vacation—so much to see & do.

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/I-m-going-on-a-trip-What-should-I-know-about-traveling-with-my-Fitbit/

I log on vacation. As an added bonus, it helps me remember all the new foods I had.

But how can I count the calories in the meals?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    tazjosh wrote: »
    But how can I count the calories in the meals?

Find the closest match in the database.

Or do you mean you won't have Internet access/cellular service?
  • tazjosh
    Options
    I find it so hard on here to work out calories as they are so different unless a specific brand name. Do you know a good web site for looking for calories in foods?
  • liftlovelunge
    liftlovelunge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I didn't bring my FitBit on my last vacation, but that's because I was in Cuba and at the beach/in the ocean most of the time! I also didn't log food or have much access to internet but I wasn't too worried about it. When I came home and weighed myself there was only a 1lb difference, which I can live with! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ever worry about logging food - the accuracy will be so badly off that pretend data isn't even worth it.
    Why put all that bother and effort in to something you have no idea how badly it's off.

If planning to go a certain type of place though, might look up similar types of items and get an idea so you can plan decently.

Sometimes it's a shocker that 4 of those little puff-ball type things actually had 400 calories each, and you dipped them in ranch!

But just expect water weight gain no matter what - sodium eating levels will likely be higher than normal.
    And you'll be eating closer to maintenance, so glucose stores with water will go up too.

Just be inspired by the activity goals on the device itself.

And count it as your diet break.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks :), I'm not dieting anymore. At maintenance. Don't want to put it back on
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In that case, your water weight gain will be strictly from sodium.
    And body's at maintenance adjust better to eating over, meaning they speed up.
    Especially if you can get a hard workout or two in somehow.
    Let's see - weight lifting on the beach. Nah, that's been done.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    tazjosh wrote: »
    Thanks :), I'm not dieting anymore. At maintenance. Don't want to put it back on

I would take the fitbit, and if maintaining, I'd just put a high calorie guesstimate, to keep my steak going etc. It is impossible to know what calories are for vacation foods. You can do a best guess and forget it.

Have a wonderful time and DO NOT STRESS about it.

Wait a few days after you get back to weigh yourself, flying and eating out result in lots of water weight/bloating. Give your body time to settle down. I usually am so much more active on trips, I end up losing a few lbs. YMMV :)

• tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks