Difficult to follow weight loss plan when pain becomes overwhelming.

Options
I started trying to lose weight earlier in the year but was side tracked by an injury from a fall. I'm trying again. I have many medical conditions including Fibromyalgia, OA, chronic migraines, hypothyroidism, gastroparesis, several sleep disorders and obesity. I am on 25 medications. Has anyone come up with anything to help with "self medicating" with food" for those times when your pain just too much to deal with and your are too sore or too fatigued to distract yourself with activities?

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I am using the support of friends on MFP to help me through distraction. This site has been a Godsend for me. Plus I've made friends from all over the world! Wouldn't have happened without MFP! Best to you!
  • NightyNightOwlie
    NightyNightOwlie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I know what you're going through. I have Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Klippel-Feil Syndrome, Chronic Migraines, Hypothyroidism, Sleep Apnea, severe depression and anxiety.
    I have found that meditating helps. You can do it from bed, and it really does help distract you from the pain. Try deep breathing exercises. You can find tutorials on YouTube.
    I hope things get better for you! Feel free to friend me, message me, or whatever. We spoonies need to stick together! <3
    Gentle hugs!
  • janeh1959
    janeh1959 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I also suffer from fibro and arthritis and various other health conditions and I would love to meet some new friends on here x
  • josorenson74
    josorenson74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have started coloring which i know can be hard with my hands and the fact i got tendonitis in my right thumb recently. I have found the support of people on MFP to be valuable more than i knew it would. I feel accountable but in a way that is not judgmental. We all have off days and when we do people are there to help up back up and cheer our success even when that is just logging our food or getting up and moving when we can. Feel free to add me if you so wish. I have Fibromyalgia, Type 2 Diabetes, Several back issues, OA, Irriatable bowel, Kidney issues and whatever else decides to show up next.
  • Kimmie103073
    Kimmie103073 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I suffer from several health issues which cause chronic pain and when it hits I don't want to do anything. I have found that meditating does help me relax enough to sleep but when I don't want to sleep I will meditate while coloring mandalas that I print off the computer. I usually date them and jot down key words of how I am feeling on the back but once I finish one I put it in a notebook to evaluate later. So far I have noticed that days of similar pain levels I tend to use the same colors and they are usually dark colors.