Crossfit enough?

Options
besee_2000
besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
So I started my first On-ramp class today. A lot of it was prepping what to expect (i.e. Soreness). The workout we did was an AMRAP for 7min. This seems short and felt like I needed to do more once I got home. Now I put in a lot of effort to the run but curious to know if others add to their workout. Is this just On-ramp style to not go too crazy?
2 Wall runs (50-100m dash?)
4 Burpees
6 Airsquats
I enjoy the competitiveness. I usually workout alone but could get into this race style.

Replies

• TimothyHolmgren
    TimothyHolmgren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would say you can exspect a lot more from your wods when you get off the on ramp. My box does not have a on ramp program so never did one
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Patience, persistence and progression. You may be able to do more now, but it is best to stick with the programming. The WODs will ebb and flow in challenging various fitness modalities. If the owner/head trainer is doing a good job of programming, you should be able to show steady improvement (PRs) without injury.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My Box does not have On Ramp classes either, I wonder if there are stats that show this type of CF starting retains more members. My Box does have beginner classes which appear to be more cardio with light weight lifting. I bet once you get through the On Ramp classes you will notice a big change. Good Luck!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No on ramp at our box. We are really small so you jump right in. But because there aren't that many people, whoever needs attention will get it.

If you aren't being challenged by the on ramp and think that you won't be sore tomorrow (or the next day) then you can probably do something extra. It's a journey so just don't rush things
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Our box has a two week on ramp. It is mostly learning Oly lifts, proper technique, with some short AMRAPs at the end. It is has really two purposes. 1) Teaching proper form and the Oly lifts. 2) It allows the coaches to assess your baseline fitness, so they can help you scale properly once you start regular classes.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    jbuck93 wrote: »
    Our box has a two week on ramp. It is mostly learning Oly lifts, proper technique, with some short AMRAPs at the end. It is has really two purposes. 1) Teaching proper form and the Oly lifts. 2) It allows the coaches to assess your baseline fitness, so they can help you scale properly once you start regular classes.

Ours is the same. 1-2 week Foundations course to teach technique, philosophy, and get people "ramped up" for actual classes. To be honest, we rarely do any WODs longer than 12 minutes (maybe once/week), and I have seen dramatic differences in my abilities, strength and fitness from doing this, 3-4x a week and nothing else. But I may be an exception.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    we used to do a 12 week on ramp course when I first started but I notice they don't them anymore, they just seem to join us but the newby's are not allowed to join the oly lifting sessions unless they have completed our barbell course.
    I used to be the same as you when I first started, in fact I used to head to the gym afterwards and jump on a treadmill/bike for another 20 minutes and then have a shower before heading to work.
    There is no way I can do that now because our WOD's (while usually short - 10 to 20 mins) are decent enough (combined with the warm up & strength session preceding that) to sufficiently crucify me. Our Fridays are usually longer 45 mins.
    I would say, enjoy the intro because they are teaching you basic skills that will allow you to lift heavier and longer after your on ramp has finished. Take this time to prefect your technique .. I wish I did as I now wouldn't be nursing a shoulder injury that limits a lot of my movements (got too excited about kipping pull ups without building up my strength doing stricts - my coach did warn me .... :'(
    Good luck
  • besee_2000
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had my second class yesterday and off today. My legs were a little jelly like getting started yesterday so I suppose it was not too bad of work that first day. Second day was similar to the first in length but I held back on doing more afterwards. (I knew I'd be on my feet all day for work anyway.) Thursday we will add some weight to squats and I'm pumped. I may struggle holding back but I think they know how to safely start people.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You'll adjust eventually, but foam rolling and stretching will help a ton.

I ran Sunday and did the WODs the last two days. Going to do some light cardio and mobility today and that's it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We had an on-ramp, and I agree that it basically served to teach the Oly lifts and some of the other common exercises, as well as to let the coaches get to know you and to let you understand how it works to make a decision as to whether you will enjoy it.

The WODs we did in on-ramp were shorter/baby versions of the WODs that you get in the regular classes.

We tended to spy on the WODs in the regular class going on at the same time, and I always checked out the description of them which my box puts on-line each day.

(Watching was nice because you got to see how people scaled them. When I first started I was worried about all the skills I could not do, like pull-ups.)
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No on-ramp at my gym, just a scaled version of the wod for the new folks
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did an on-ramp group, about 4-5 times, I think. Yours sounds about like mine. The purpose was just to introduce you to Crossfit-type workouts, without taxing you too much and without having to do some of the more skilled movements (double-unders, muscle-ups, anything like that).
    Most of them were pretty easy for me, as I am a long-time runner. But they were still fun.
    Don't worry. You'll get to the harder WODs soon enough.
    I took one of my sons and a good friend to our gym to introduce them to Crossfit and, because they were with me, they were not made to do on-ramp. But, even though they did not do on-ramp, the coach did not let them do heavy weights and they had to do scaled/modified stuff too. Both of them are in very good shape so they were offended. As a consequence, they decided they did not like Crossfit and they never gave it a second chance. But it would have changed. It would have gotten harder for them. I think that is such a shame they never would go back, and they missed out.
  • 5Mack
    5Mack Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We had to attend 7 level 1 sessions each aimed at a different Olympic lift plus a few other basics (squatting was class one and also formed the warm up for every other class). Plenty of technique, observation and critique with a mini, scaled WOD at the end of the class. After you had completed the 7 sessions you could dive straight in to the level 2 classes or attend a few intermediate classes which were aimed specifically at the new Level 2s to bring up your confidence a bit.

I went straight in. No mucking about here. I immediately got caught up in my own self-induced pressure to perform and failed to maintain posture. This put me out of action for a few months so please don't be a hero.

The clock can be ignored. Your physical well being must not.

Also I recommend performing crossfit movements in your regular gym routine so you are well practised when you do go to class. I wasn't doing this and the one or two classes I went to each week were not enough for me to dial in my techniques and get to know my 1rms.

So. Practice lots. Remember your training. Seek help and advice. Only then should you start thinking about adding more to your routine or going for time because it gets harder. You'll breeze some classes and struggle in others so don't go too hard too soon.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    jbuck93 wrote: »

My box does this too for exactly this reason I think. Ease you into a new type of workout and assess your abilities/mobility/form. Real WODs will be tougher and you will probably be sore from the on-ramp classes.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My box does a "first five" - probably the same as an on ramp. Four of the first five kicked my *kitten*, but I tend to feel like I need more cardio and calorie burn even after a WOD. Maybe it's old habits, but I also look at some of the people who only do Crossfit and quite possibly their lifestyle choices contribute, but I don't see physical weight loss or body composition improvement in ALOT of regulars. Others are crazy fit...but the majority incorporate running or other physical activity into their overall workout scheme. I do definitely notice an increase in my strength from crossfit, but I also watch my calorie intake and burn...it's hard to count crossfit calories.
  • besee_2000
    Options
    Yeah, I have been noticing a bit of that. They are quick and intense workouts but I can still fit in other things without compromising. I think the coaches are training for competitions and will do the real WOD twice throughout the day. I am enjoying it though and may get a little obsessive. However, its been awhile since I've had a passion like this. I'm looking forward to next month!