Running shorts! Help!

Options
Destanie_Robyn
Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
For women-

Is there such a thing as running shorts that do not ride up while running??? I live in California and running in the summer definitely requires shorts for me. However, I have yet to find a pair that do not ride up. I have tried various Nike shorts, lulu lemon, Champion, as well as a few others. I have tried regular running shorts and the ones with built in spandex and they both have always ended up riding up in which I then awkwardly and constantly end up trying to pull them back down mid run.

I wear a size medium to large and therefore, my thighs do rub when I run (which is why I need shorts to stay put!)

If you know of any such magical running shorts that stay put please let me know! And if you feel comfortable enough to let me know which size shorts you wear too that would be appreciated (I am assuming that others who are the same size as me have roughly the same potential problem)

Sincerely,

Desperate to avoid chafing.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Have you tried longer compression shorts--7 or 11 inch?

I usually run in 7-in Under Armour (size S) and they do. not. move., either on my legs or around my waist.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love my 7 inch UA shorts also. I wear a size Medium and agree, they don't move.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ditto above on the UA 7 inch compression shorts and I wear a large. They do not move. These are the only shorts I wear in the warm weather then I switch to UA full leg compressions tights for the winter.....
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My new favorite are the Zoot Sports Ultra Running shorts 3". They are very soft and have a wider waist band which I like. I bought them for the marathon I did in April and had zero chaffing or riding up. I wear a sm or medium in most shorts. I found these run a bit larger and the small fits perfect.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I swear by a pair of Champion shorts from Target and a pair from Old Navy. I wouldn't go so far as to call them "compression" because I don't think at $14.99 they are offering anything technical, but they are the same idea. I wear a M or L and have chub rub. You have to go with the tight shorts, in my experience - I still experiment with traditional running shorts with liner occasionally, but I'm still getting the bunching.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I have really big thighs and used to run into that issue a lot until I finally realized that shorter inseam -> less to ride up/bunch. I don't run in compression pants/shorts because I get too hot, so I find a pair that has a nice liner. For long runs, I rub a little BodyGlide on my inner thighs "just in case."
    My current favourite shorts style is the Under Armour Perfect Pace short - I have 3 pairs, size M. I've been so happy with these shorts that guys in my running group have been asking if they have a Men's version! (I don't know, for the record)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I wear "tight shorts" and have had good luck with Nike Pro compression/tight shorts as well as Saucony (but they discontinued my favorites, booooo) and UnderArmour brands. I go for a 5-6" inseam and those stay put rather than rolling up past the infamous chafe zone. How anyone runs in regular shorts without their thighs catching on fire is beyond my comprehension.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Is the riding up a problem for comfort reasons or on account of being self conscious about it? If the problem is more the latter than the former you could try wearing compression shorts and then a pair of basketball shorts on top. That's what I do, since I feel uncomfortable wearing just compression shorts around most of the time...feels like I'm going to get arrested and have schoolyard proximity restrictions.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Options
    Awesome thanks for all the replies. The riding up is uncomfortable and once during a race when I tried to ignore it I left with chaffing blisters on my thighs :neutral: I will look onto the under armor ones since so many of you recommended them! Thanks!
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has that issue. She loves running skirts with the built in tight shorts.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Reading with interest. Sounds like I need to look for 7" tight/compression shorts. Tired of wearing my capri length tights in the summer (Houston, Tx), but had lost hope ever finding shorts that would work. 5" compression is okay for under my regular shorts while playing softball or football, but they drift up, so no go for running. I wear a medium to large, as well.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I know that Nike & Adidas, and probably others, make a running short with build it compression liners vs the brief type liner for men. I'd bet that something like that is made for a woman. Be aware they are not cheap, the last couple pair I got were $45 a pop and they are normally a little longer cut than I prefer.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    I know that Nike & Adidas, and probably others, make a running short with build it compression liners vs the brief type liner for men. I'd bet that something like that is made for a woman. Be aware they are not cheap, the last couple pair I got were $45 a pop and they are normally a little longer cut than I prefer.

I just got a pair like these at the Nike outlet for $20. I like the compression liner, but there appears to be an excessive amount of material around the draw string waist and they get bunched up there. I can deal with it though.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I wear a running skirt for the same reason. I don't get why manufacturers don't make longer shorts for women! Now if I wanted to run in my underwear then that's another matter. Way to short shorts out there
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    More love here for the Under Armor compression shorts, I have Medium pairs in different lengths, love them both. They never move, and I don't get the chafing issue I get with other shorts (and I've tried many different brands).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I gave up on finding shorts that didn't ride up on me. I run in capri's (year round pretty much..I'm in Chicago and run in temps from the teens to 90's).
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Options
    I ordered the under armor 7" compression shorts and having been using them for about a month now, they work great and don't ride up! Thanks for all the recommendations!
  • brts2015
    brts2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    My new favorite are the Zoot Sports Ultra Running shorts 3". They are very soft and have a wider waist band which I like. I bought them for the marathon I did in April and had zero chaffing or riding up. I wear a sm or medium in most shorts. I found these run a bit larger and the small fits perfect.

These zoots are fabulous! I would Recommend moving comfort brand momentum shorts. But they don't make these anymore! You might be able to find them in odd colors in various sizes. But I've moved onto the zoot shorts, and I've never looked back! They do not ride up!

Another recommendation is to use a glide stick on your legs before you leave for running, this also helps
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For women-

Is there such a thing as running shorts that do not ride up while running??? I live in California and running in the summer definitely requires shorts for me. However, I have yet to find a pair that do not ride up. I have tried various Nike shorts, lulu lemon, Champion, as well as a few others. I have tried regular running shorts and the ones with built in spandex and they both have always ended up riding up in which I then awkwardly and constantly end up trying to pull them back down mid run.

I wear a size medium to large and therefore, my thighs do rub when I run (which is why I need shorts to stay put!)

You're missing the mark just asking women. Men pretty much all have thighs that rub together so this isn't just a woman's issue. This is just a general running question. I wear compression shorts under my shorts. That fixes pretty much every problem in this area. My actual shorts do ride up a bit but I don't really notice or think about it.

If you run long distance all the time I would still advise putting some body glide on under the compression shorts as insurance. Nothing like doing an 8 mile run only to find that your compression shorts seam blew out around mile 2 or so. That's happened a couple times and the thighs are not just chaffed. They're bleeding and raw. If you have body glide under the compression shorts they're only slightly irritated.

Also I'd advise you to get some compression shorts that don't have a seam straight up the middle. My current favorite is Nike Pro Combat series. Most of them have the seam offset so that it's not where your thighs rub. There's less chance of it going out on you that way.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Compression shorts, or running skirts and body glide.

The good news is that they will rub less as you lose weight. I don't have a thigh gap, never will. But my thighs rubbing doesn't irritate me now.