Hi! I'm new here. Trying to get faster. Help?

Options
Erica262
Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
Hello! I just joined this group. I've been on MFP on and off for a long time, but just in the last 3 weeks started using it everyday.

Quick history... I've been running since 2009, but kind of sporadically. Sometimes I train really well for a race, and sometimes I half-*kitten* it. I've really slacked off in the last several months, but have just registered for my 10th half marathon. I'd like to get a PR. I'm not fast. My current PR is 2:19:35, which I achieved in March 2014. I definitely need to lose a bit a weight, which I'm sure would help me get faster. I'm working on that.

What else can I do to get faster? There are just over 12 weeks until the Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon. I'm using a SmartCoach plan from Runner's World that has 2-3 easy runs, 1 long run, and 1 tempo/speed run each week. I'm struggling to even do the easy runs at a respectable (for me) pace.

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hi Erica, don't try to do easy runs at a 'respectable' pace, just do them at a pace that feels... easy. That should help even if it doesn't feel like it will.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yup! Run more miles, slowly. That's the best way to get faster in the beginning. Think being able to carry on a conversation while you run, or lip-synching along with your music if you listen to it. Or, if you will, "paper bag pace": if you're not so embarrassed you want to pull a paper bag over your head, it's time to slow down. This applies to your long runs as well as the short ones.

If you have a good idea of distance markers on your usual running routes, you could also try heading out without a GPS watch/without turning on your phone app. That way you're not dealing with the *mental* pressure to hit a pace you have subconsciously deemed "acceptable." I did this when I was recovering from a bad injury this spring and pacing 1-2 minutes above my normal. It 100% saved my sanity.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Time on feet, it sounds as though you are pushing the easy runs too hard and as a result overtraining. In terms of giving you some specific advice I would struggle as I use and embrace Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 methodology. This can set training bands based using McMillan training calculator and your pbs. What pacing guidance does SmartCoach give and are you following it?
  • Erica262
    Options
    LOL I haven't heard the "paper bag pace" before.

I think the problem is that my new easy pace is practically walking and knowing I used to go faster makes me hate the easy runs.

The SmartCoach is going off my most recent half marathon time, which is faster than what I'm capable of doing right now. So I'm not hitting those times. I'm almost 2 full minute slower than those times.

I'm so impatient since I keep comparing what I'm capable of now to what I was capable of 6 months ago and to what I need to be doing to get a PR. I'm sure you're all correct... I just need to run more miles and the speed will come eventually.

Thanks, y'all :smiley:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

If you have a good idea of distance markers on your usual running routes, you could also try heading out without a GPS watch/without turning on your phone app. That way you're not dealing with the *mental* pressure to hit a pace you have subconsciously deemed "acceptable." I did this when I was recovering from a bad injury this spring and pacing 1-2 minutes above my normal. It 100% saved my sanity.

Yes. What really helped me was to set my Garmin to only display my heart rate and timer when I am running. I set my goals based on HR zones for a certain amount of time. That way I just concentrate on hitting the zone and don't worry about distance or pace. It can be hard at first, but when you see the improvements you are making, it's really great.

Also +1 for Matt Fitzgerald (although I know his philosophy is shared by many other elite coaches as well).
  • Erica262
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor, but will look into getting one.

I will definitely check out Matt Fitzgerald... Thanks :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    One thing that will help is knowing that slow running is actually doing great things. I think we have this thing that if you are not breathing hard enough, you are not getting anything out of the run. But knowing how your body works and knowing how the easy running will improve you as a runner takes the ease off your mind that it is OK to slow down. Also knowing if you run to fast, it may actually hurt your improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT7RsmgQ1EY
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.
    Run hills. It makes your legs stronger and greatly increases your lung capacity, and I find that allows me to increase my pace.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yup! Run more miles, slowly. That's the best way to get faster in the beginning. Think being able to carry on a conversation while you run, or lip-synching along with your music if you listen to it. Or, if you will, "paper bag pace": if you're not so embarrassed you want to pull a paper bag over your head, it's time to slow down. This applies to your long runs as well as the short ones.

OMG I'm stealing this. My coach has me running by HR and some times it is so hard to get my HR down low, I'm running so slow I'm embarrassed.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    What works for me is simply running a lot, a lot more than nearly any internet running plan recommends. 7 days a week with running more than once several days a week; taking one day really short and easy and taking a day off if I need it.

Most of this is easy, some really easy, and less than 15% at any kind of really strenuous effort. Sometimes the easy runs feel kind of hard just because of tiredness but as long as that passes in a day or so I drive on.

This way of training takes a while to payoff but I have found that it works and I have found that once you begin to be conditioned to it even three a day runs feel very good as long as you keep the effort level in the right place.

After months of it you become strong and tireless and can hold hard paces in races much longer than you think possible.

The only caveat is that you often are on the edge of overtraining and under recovery so you have to be careful and monitor yourself; backing off when needed.

I have crossed this line before and once your performance begins to soar it's easy to cross the line in training and dig yourself a huge hole of fatigue where your improvement stops and eventually declines. This is probably the most important thing; not to cross that line because it wipes out the long term consistency required for the huge payoff of high mileage.

So for maximum improvement you just need to do the maximum amount of running you can absorb and recover from. Since nearly all, 80% or more, is easy if one is training right most people could easily run a lot more without any great risk.

The other lesson I learned is that getting my running form near perfect allows me to run a lot pain free and also frees me from worrying about shoes. I run barefoot some on short runs, in five fingers for many runs, and in a light pair of Brooks Connect when I feel like a little cushioning or when it's dark and I can't see what I'm stepping on.
  • litsy3
    Options
    That sounds pretty intense, scott. How many miles does that add up to per week? I'm not sure it'd be the best thing for a (relative) novice like the OP who has been running for a while but only sporadically, and isn't (yet) experienced enough at regular, consistent running to do huge miles.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it, and the speed will come with time & miles. Plus 12 weeks from now, it will be cooler, and all this summer training will pay off and you'll be faster when the temperatures drop :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    That sounds pretty intense, scott. How many miles does that add up to per week? I'm not sure it'd be the best thing for a (relative) novice like the OP who has been running for a while but only sporadically, and isn't (yet) experienced enough at regular, consistent running to do huge miles.
    I don't like to quote mileage goals because that depends so much on individual pace. Rather I think that it equals around 10 to 12 hours of running a week. So that could be anything from 50 to more than 100. Whatever the distance, the training time and stress on the body is similar.

It may be too much for someone right now but it is a mark to build towards.

Pretty much my entire running philosophy is based on Arthur Lydiard and his book, Athletic Training, http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur Lydiard.pdf

I don't slavishly follow his plan but I do follow his principles adjusted to my own individual circumstances.
  • litsy3
    Options
    Wow, I thought I had plenty of time to train as I don't have kids but I'm not sure I'd manage 10-12 hours! And if I did, I'd be wanting elite-level results to make it worth it! I do want to be a better runner, but I guess I'm just not driven enough to make it my only focus.
  • kevin_TN
    kevin_TN Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We all have our own priorities and different levels of dedication and/or interest in running.

The lesson to be learned from the Lydiard system is not that you have to run megamiles and dedicate your life to running, or bust. It's that gentle, consistent, and progressive running builds on itself and if you train aerobically with consistency, soon you will be doing what you never imagined you could.

This takeaway could be used by anyone, even someone who has limited time or inclination for running.

The OP needs nothing more than to run more, and run more consistently. Doesn't have to be 10 hours per week. Just has to be more, and consistent. Lydiard system is simply one (the best, IMO) way to approach this.

(Though I'm off on a tangent here, I get peeved when people call high mileage 'extreme' and act like anyone who runs doesn't have a life. Many people spend more than 10 hours per week watching television, playing videogames, or wasting time on the internet. Running a little over an hour each day is not some kind of extreme life-consuming commitment. If you don't want to run that much, that's fine, but let's not pretend it takes an extreme level of dedication to spend an average of 86 minutes per day on something that's both exercise and a hobby that you enjoy.)
  • litsy3
    Options
    Eek, I didn't mean to say that's not a valid choice! My coach does (sort-of) Lydiard style too, and I train (running) probably more like 6-8 hours per week. But for the level of runner I am (decent but not ever likely to be amazing), I personally don't feel that 10+ hours of running per week are necessary or would lead to a level of improvement significantly beyond what I get out of my current training. Totally agree about the gentle, progressive build-up.