Heartburn

Options
GraceByMySide
GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
I am a little over a year out from having VSG. Over the last month or so, I've developed issues with heartburn. I am still taking 40 mg. of Omeprazol each day because I was on Naproxen for a knee injury. But at various times during the day, the heartburn pops up. I did have a hernia repair along with my surgery. I saw my dr yesterday and talked about the heartburn. She said not to have so much at a meal, and I guess I probably felt guilty and didn't say much then, but I've realized that it isn't just from being filled up. It can start halfway through 1/2 cup of cottage cheese or yogurt. Just wondering if anyone has had any similar issues along with the hernia repair. I'm hoping it didn't pop open, again... Ugh! I will consult her again, soon!! But just wanted hear about some experiences people have had.

Replies

• nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am on Omeprazole too and will occasionally take a Zantac when feeling discomfort. Surgeon said okay to take both. What sits easily on my stomach one day doesn't necessarily sit well the next day.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm only 3 months post op, but have struggled with heartburn since my surgery. Omprazole didn't do a thing for me, Zantac 150 twice a day has given me much better results. Did you talk to your surgeon or your PCP about the heartburn? My surgeon understood the post op heartburn far better than my PCP did, and who I'm now talking to about med changes. I am noticing that now that I'm getting out of an Obese BMI and into an Overweight BMI, my heartburn isn't as frequent or as intense when it flares. So I'm hoping that it will continue to fade to an occasional thing as I get closer to goal.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I spoke to the PA at the bariatric surgeon's office (my surgeon actually moved away... :neutral: It's just odd, because I'm 13 months post surgery. I think my portions crept up a bit. I've been doing mainly liquids in the morning and cut back a little on my portions and it has helped. I also switched when I take the omeprazole. That has helped too, I think!! :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 years out and take omeprazole daily. I had acid reflux for probably 20 years, getting sleeved didn't change that. I take mine in the AM but have found since the sleeve that certain foods may set off heartburn as will when I eat. So I avoid red sauces (spaghetti, marinara, etc.) and stop eating about an hour before I'm going to bed. Those things help me keep it all under control a lot. And like sinderstorm, if I need more, I take an over the counter generic.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The sleeve is a reflux inducing surgery. I had reflux pre-op but it wasn't properly diagnosed until my EGD as symptoms were not typical. Not heartburn, but chronic coughing caused by reflux. I also had hernia repair with mine, (which should help make the reflux better). Coughing is much better, but I still get occasional heartburn while on 40mg of omeprazole morning and night. Eating a bit less helps as does avoiding acidic foods. I'll also go for the occasional zantac if it gets bad. Hope you find a solution. My surgeon told me up front that if it got worse due to surgery the only fix was a revision to bypass. Not considering that for myself as I'm managing it pretty well.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I feel for you- I always had bad acid reflux pre op and it certainly hasn't improved. At this point nexium is my spirit animal lol. I take it at night before bed and I am have no reflux. I noticed when the reflux gets bad I can't eat and feel miserable 24/7. Be careful with the naproxen. I ended up with nasty gastritis from it a couple years ago- reflux was the first of many signs :(
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux and heartburn has been something my PA has been monitoring with me post-surgery, but I have not experienced it yet. I have a close friend, though, who says he developed it about six months post-op from his sleeve (I am exactly five months out tomorrow). I was given a Prevacid prescription in case it comes up. I also had a hernia repair during surgery, so maybe that's why it has yet to develop for me. But then, I've never really had heartburn or reflux problems in the past, so maybe I'm just not prone to them.

In any event, you're not alone. Apparently, it's a common post-sleeve problem for many people.