Steps not syncing, food is

Options
lizlogic
lizlogic Posts: 4 Member
How can I get my steps to sync as the day goes on? Set to sedentary, so should be seeing my 12,000!

Replies

• kittengirl1983
    kittengirl1983 Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If I am understanding you right you want the UP steps to go across to MFP and adjust your calories?

Go to the settings link at the top right of the screen, then diary settings and check the box to enable negative adjustments.. then MFP will either raise or lower your cals based on your UP activity. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/97

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Jawbone.
  • cbshapiro
    cbshapiro Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have done all these things, but when does UP transfer over my cal burn to MFP so I can see how many calories I have left to eat?

And why does the UP info on MFP show negative. So far I have been taking the cal burn number from jawbone and entering it onto MFP through a cardio activity that will enter what UP is telling me.

I've seen explanations of how this u is supposed to work but they are written in a way that is too complex for me to get. I'm no dummy but as Denzel Washington says in the movie PHILADELPHIA tell it to me like I'm a six year old.

Thanks!!
  • editorgrrl
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MFP recalculates your adjustment every time you sync your tracker with the UP app.

A negative adjustment mean you're burning fewer calories than your MFP activity level. Click on the adjustment in your diary to see the math MFP used to calculate it.

Do not log any step-based activity. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in UP (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your UP burn during that time.

Your UP total burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.
  • cbshapiro
    Options
    Thnx editorgrrl but the explanation with the TDEE etc is more than I want to know. I just want to know one thing... How do I know how many calories I have left to eat? Before I had jawbone up, I used the iPhone step counter. I don't exercise (job, life get in the way). I walk as much as possible and even stand at my desk, but anyway, before UP, I would just look at MFP app on my phone and know how much I had left to eat, easy! But when I allow UP to count my steps, I was seeing negative numbers in my MFP app.

Using the uUP information is DECREASING the calories I can eat. I feel like I should have just stuck with the iPhone steps counter.

I don't know if these pics will show up, but UP is making me miserable :-/

Thanks !!!

ujfosx3c9der.jpg
    idxnsw913pkz.jpg
  • editorgrrl
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1,350 is your MFP activity level minus your deficit (250 calories for every .5 lb.). You've burned 1,499 calories so far today, and MFP projects that by 11:59 p.m. you will have burned 188 calories less than your MFP activity level.

Set your activity level to sedentary, and your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Delete that 174 calories of walking. Do not log any step-based activity, including walking, running, dancing, housework…
  • cbshapiro
    Options
    I'm sorry you are trying so hard to explain, but I'm not getting it. The deficit doesn't make sense to me.

It's just so much easier without using UP. Wish I didn't bother buying it. With the iPhone steps, I saw how many calories I could eat for the day, then my cal burned added into the equation and how many calories I still had left taking into account the cals I burned. So using UP, the number of calories I can eat goes down. That sucks.

As for setting my goal, I'm trying to lose .5 lbs a week. And I'm not 25 lbs overweight, so changing my goal makes no sense.

I guess what I am wondering is this- it seems to me that the active burn number in UP is the number of calories I am allowed to add onto my daily calorie intake. When I used just my iPhone steps, the calories I "earned" were virtually the same as the number as the UP active burn. That's why I take the active burn from UP and enter in some kind of activity for whatever amount of time that reaches the UP active burn #.

Oh this stupid UP. Ugh all I wanna see in MFP app is the number of steps that UP is registering. Not a negative deficit that reduces how much I am allowed to eat. Don't know why it won't do that.

Shouldn't UP just send over the number of steps I've taken and how many calories more I've earned by the steps?

Thanks for trying. :-/
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    cbshapiro wrote: »
    It seems to me that the active burn number in UP is the number of calories I am allowed to add onto my daily calorie intake. When I used just my iPhone steps, the calories I "earned" were virtually the same as the number as the UP active burn. That's why I take the active burn from UP and enter in some kind of activity for whatever amount of time that reaches the UP active burn #.

No, that's now how it works at all. Please stop doing that.

MFP is taking calories away because you're burning fewer calories than your MFP activity level*. If you burn more calories, MFP will give you more calories to eat.

*Set your activity level to sedentary.
  • editorgrrl
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cbshapiro wrote: »
    Shouldn't UP just send over the number of steps I've taken and how many calories more I've earned by the steps?

It is! Click on the UP adjustment in your diary to see the math MFP used to calculate it.