Can you be too out of shape for 21DF?

Options
lmb3171999
lmb3171999 Posts: 65 Member
I did one round of nutrition only because I was worried that the workouts might be too strenuous for someone as out of shape as I am. I've had some issues with my knees and back in the past. I only lost seven pounds and hit a wall. But I also didn't follow the diet is strictly as I should.

Today is day 2 of round 2 with the workouts. I'm feeling very discouraged. There were a few exercises that I definitely couldn't do even the modified version. The first one where u get on the floor and stand up quickly, then push-ups, and planks on upper fix. I really don't want to give up but I'm worried I might injur myself. I'm dreading doing legs tomorrow. My body feels exhausted, but not really sore yet. Is that normal?

My question is: Is it realistic for someone 200 plus pounds to attempt and succeed at this program? I see people my size on the infomercial, but I want to hear real testimonies. I'm wondering if everyone out of shape feels this way and I just need to fight through it. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Have you consulted with a doctor? I have bad knees and no balance so I have to modify the modifiers (there's a thread about this, btw, in case you're curious) and it can be challenging sometimes to plan ahead so that I know what I will need to change before I begin the workout.

But I have people on instagram who are obese, easily over 200 lbs, and I see them posting images of themselves doing the workouts. Some even post videos! I find them inspiring. And they are succeeding, posting their before and after pics, sharing their stats, etc.
  • lmb3171999
    Options
    I haven't consulted a doctor yet. I definitely need to make that a priority. How do I find the link about modifying the modifier?

• jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    @lmb3171999 I'm in a facebook challenge group with thousands of people doing the 21DF and 21DFX and there are definitely people over 200 pounds doing the program...some even over 400! That said, no matter what weight you are, there are DEFINITELY going to be some moves you won't be able to do in the beginning...and some maybe not ever...and that's ok!! Example - the very first one, surrenders, where you have to get up and then down. NO WAY can I do those, and I've done a few rounds of the program. Autumn said recently that to modify the modifier for those, just do deep squats. I've been doing lunges. As long as you're moving - it will be fine. Push-ups are HARD - I can still only do them on my knees. Planks are hard too...when I started I could hold a plank for about 15 seconds. And now I can do the full minute which I am very excited about!!! All that is my long-winded way of saying....do what you can, modify the rest, and you WILL get stronger as time goes on. You will even be stronger in week 2 than you were in week 1. Don't give up, we are all here to help!!!!!
  • lmb3171999
    Options
    Thank you so much! That is such a relief!
  • germany03
    germany03 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @lmb3171999 as @jpkrueger said you will be able to do more in the second week as in the first week. I was concerned after the first workout myself...definitely felt out of shape like no other. But by modifying the modifier and doing what I could and then push myself to just ONE more I started to pick up a little more each workout. As for pushups...I can't do them because of having had issues with my wrist before so until I find myself feeling they are strong enough I am alternating between doing them on my knees and the second round doing wall pushups.this way I am working on it a little and resting them a little while still moving. Just listen to your body -not the voices in your head saying you can not do it - but definitely listen to your body...good luck and you can do this girl !!!
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @germany03 I did wall push-ups too and not just for the second round but all of the time. Gradually, I was able to do them on the floor on my knees.

@lmb3171999 If you go into the group's discussions and look at all of the discussions, you'll see one titled "Modifying the Modifiers" or something like that. I forget what it specifically is called. I know I posted it shortly before leaving for my trip so it can't be too buried in more recent discussions.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    @lmb3171999 don't be discouraged. Every new routine has new moves that take a little getting used to. The first week I always feel like the worlds biggest klutz falling over my crossed legs and dropping weights and what not (my dog has learned to stay in the other room for safety when the program turns on). Once you figure out how they're planting their feet and moving their arms and everything, it gets better. You'll notice week by week how you're able to do more and more things like what they're doing. Though you may not be able to complete all of the moves exactly. I still use a modifier for a lot of things just because.

And like @SatiaRenee mentioned, if you feel there is a possibility that a doctor should be consulted first, I'd do that. :)
  • zoe894
    zoe894 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The first week HURTS. I mean muscle hurt, not bone or tendon hurt. But my muscles were in agony. The next week was better. Just do what you can and keep moving. That is what matters.
  • lmb3171999
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I definitely came to the right place with this group. Day three was sooooo much better than the first two days. I was really worried about lower body, but it seemed easier than the first two. I can already feel myself getting stronger. I think I'm going to substitute a different workout program tomorrow because I watched Pilates and I don't think my lower back can handle it. Thanks again for the support! I would still be doubting myself if it weren't for you guys. :-)
  • SatiaRenee
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @lmb3171999 I don't think anyone here wasn't sore the first week. I know I was. In fact, I think I was somewhere in round 3 of 21 Day Fix when I woke up one day and realized that my muscles weren't aching. I did not wake up this morning feeling that way. LOL!
  • germany03
    Options
    Lol ...I will never forget day 2 of round 1 and having to lower myself to sit on the toilette in the morning...I did not know what hit me or better said my legs. But trust you me, I was doubting myself just the same...and the thought of a leg day comming at me was s c a r y!!!. Thankfully this group got me through it and I now love having that "slight reminder" that I did something for me :)
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    LOL @germany03 that is how I feel right now... I'm on day 3 and still hurting from day 1 - that workout was killer! @lmb3171999 keep it up and stay positive - do what you can and you will get better!
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am almost disappointed in my lack of soreness so far. Today is day 3 of my first round....I am a little sore here and there but nothing major. It might be because I try to work out fairly regulary so maybe this isn't quite a shock to my body....idk...I have been doing the workouts before work in the morning, I like them and will continue to follow the program, but I think I might have to do other workouts mixed in from time to time on top of the DVDs just to really push myself.
    Either way, so far so good....
  • germany03
    Options
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    LOL @germany03 that is how I feel right now... I'm on day 3 and still hurting from day 1 - that workout was killer! @lmb3171999 keep it up and stay positive - do what you can and you will get better!
    Wait til next Tuesday when you expect the same feeling in the morning and...........nothing......ok maybe a little but nothing like you expcted.lol. I was amazed how quickly my body adjusted.