Shoe recommendations

Options
twofastdogs
twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
Hello, all! I am an absolute newbie who is considering drinking the Kool-Aid and joining a box. I'm in my 40s, overweight, out of shape, and have stiff and crunchy knees that I'm hoping will improve as I gain more strength and mobility. (This should be fun, yes?) I am used to wearing stability shoes with lots of padding. I have read that running shoes are not optimal for CrossFit, but I know that there are some running components to the workouts. Any suggestions for shoes that would work for the lifting component but won't make me feel like I'm running barefoot on pavement? Thanks.

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    If I was you I would wait a while and see how you go. Agree that running shoes are not a good fit for WOD's, especially lifting but during your on ramp you won['t be doing much lifting anyway. I use nano's whichI love for running and WOD's and have the reebok lifting shoes for my lifting days.
  • twofastdogs
    Options
    Thanks! I suspect you are right - I will have enough things to learn and fix that shoes may be the least of my worries. Appreciate the suggestions.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I wear these Reebok Crossfit Nano's to lift and jog! Highly recommend them, and at $88 they aren't insanely expensive :)http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361212465349?lpid=82&chn=ps
  • kellystuart11
    kellystuart11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I haven't noticed my Brooks Glycerin give me any problems during WODs. They REALLY come in handy when we do running, but I did my half marathon training and my cross training (crossfit) in them without any problems and have been wearing them lately, too. Survived Murph just fine last week in them :)
  • twofastdogs
    Options
    Thanks all! Appreciate the suggestions.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I run barefoot on the pavement every day. :smile: No shoes, except for rope climbs.