Eating for long rides on a low carb diet

Options
tamg26k
tamg26k Posts: 7 Member
I eat a very low carb diet and have not had a problem with my workouts at the gym. I'm training for bikeMS and "hit the wall" on a 50 mile ride. Any suggestions on what I should be eating in the morning of the ride or along the way?

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to really struggle with this, honestly. I don't have an answer, and I'm by no means an expert, but I can't fathom an easy way at the moment where you could fuel for long rides without eating carbs.

You've had no problems in the gym because your gym workouts are probably short enough that you can get through on stored muscle glycogen. There's no need to refuel because you have enough "in the tank" to get you through and you top it back off with your post-workout and subsequent meals. Endurance exercise isn't the same animal in a lot of ways. Muscle glycogen can carry most people about 90 minutes. After that, or really even before that because once the stored glycogen is gone you "bonk" or, as you describe it, "hit the wall." On longer rides you have to keep fueling. So, you have to refuel during your long rides and your low-carb diet restricts you from eating the things that are easiest, both in terms of readily-accessible energy and easy on your digestive system.

My immediate thought is that, since you won't be able to eat anything that's quick-access energy, you're going to have to plan ahead and start refueling earlier in your rides and probably more frequently. That's because it's going to take more time to digest fats and proteins and convert it to usable energy. As for what to eat, you'll have to find some on-bike foods that match your dietary needs, won't go bad in the heat in your jersey pocket, be easy to eat on the go, and not destroy your digestive system if consumed during moderate to heavy exercise. I'm afraid I'll have to leave it to you as to what options that leaves you with.

Good luck!
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I ate an entire loaf of homemade banana nut bread and a 12 inch pizza when I rode 100 miles. I would start to drag and stop for a snack; after eating I would feel 100% again. You may just need to eat some carbs for the day. I did a 50 mile ride last summer without eating at all (it was kind of spontaneous) and I didn't die. I was so excited for the ride it kept me going. I wouldn't do that now though because I care a lot more about my body. Besides the 100 mile ride I never load up on carbs before or during a ride. I just eat whatever meals and snacks I normally would (although sometimes I want bigger quantities if I'm really pushing myself).
  • tamg26k
    tamg26k Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your feedback. I am definitely changing my diet on long ride days and add as many carbs as possible.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My understanding, and my experience, is that VLC is tough for endurance. That said, I know of keto-adapted cyclists that ride hours and hours with little more than a few hands full of almonds.