Squats - "stripper fault"

Options
agardengrrrl
agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
Hey, I'm having a problem with bending forward and/or having my hips go up before my shoulders when I'm squatting heavy (for me). I have read online about this problem (sometimes called "the stripper fault"), but no one seems to agree on what causes it and what to do about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it is a weak low back causing the problem but maybe I'm totally wrong. Need suggestions for what to do to correct.

Thanks!

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've never heard it called that term before.

Anyways, this video address/corrects it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB8KekoCeNg

For me, keep your chest up high (as you should) and focus on leg drive.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    :D:D lovely graphic illustrating the point.

@agardengrrrl, it might be the flip side of your back could be doing more too - aka abs.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Excellent video! I'm pretty sure I do that towards the end of my sets.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    what a great explanation! thanks!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "The goal is to not grind into his junk..."; I love this guy's videos!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    That guy is wonderful, I've watched a ton of his videos on form. <3
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    "The goal is to not grind into his junk..."; I love this guy's videos!

I think that may be where the "strippers fault" comes from... although I think that would be a bonus for strippers, don't really know.

Great video explanation! @awkwardsoul
  • agardengrrrl
    Options
    Thanks awkwardsoul! I googled the problem before and thought that was a funny name for the problem. That guy is funny. I think I want to find a woman trainer, but maybe a crazy guy like that would be good too. Most people lifting at the gym seem too serious and clean cut for me. I need to find some weirdos. LOL.

I'm just super bummed because I can't seem to progress on my lifts right now. Except bench for some reason. If I try to go up in weight my form starts to be terrible. I had to go down in weight because I was starting to squat without getting parallel and now I have this problem!
    I'm doing
    Squat at 100lbs
    OHP at 65lbs
    DL at 120lbs
    Bench at 90lbs
    Row at 70lbs

It seems like I should be able to squat a lot more than I bench! I hate not progressing and get all impatient.
    I'm going to start doing core exercises at home on days I'm not lifting. Maybe that will help too.
  • agardengrrrl
    Options
    The video seems to have helped! And placing the bar higher so I'm not bending over as much.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I squat more high bar than I do low bar, but I also started with high bar as that's what the personal trainer showed me when I first started at the end of October. I've been doing low bar though, now, and it's interesting doing the different squats.

Nice bench. They all seem to vary as when struggles happen. Since starting back to SL I'm actually doing okay on OHP but my row is stalling around 100. Eh, oh well.