different foods than nutrisystem

Options
sznsido
sznsido Posts: 136 Member
I have about 2 months left on the Nutrisystem plan. I must admit...I have not been following the program like I was when I first started at the end of February. I no longer add my pf/sc like I was. I basically eat a ns breakfast, ns lunch, ns dinner and ns dessert and that's it. I will sometimes just have a salad for dinner and skip the ns meal altogether. For those of you that started on ns, would you mind telling me how you weaned yourself off and started doing it on your own? Just wondering if you can share a typical day of what you are eating now.

Replies

• evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Im using the ns rules for sc and pfs for which meals then fill in with store bought foods...lean meats/veg....1sc/1pf for bfast and lunch...2pf/1sc for dinner....1sc for dessert....then my add ins....1pf with bfast....1pf for am snack....1pf/1sc for pm snack....took the list from ns of pfs/scs and picked what i wanted to fill in the required foods....dont forget your veg/water/activity....i still eat ns most mornings for bfast...if on the run i do ns lunch....most dinners & desserts are not ns....its a nice transition so far....
  • SueBready
    SueBready Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been transitioning off of NS food but still try my best to follow the plan without being too OCD about it. I continue to log most of my food to keep w/in my calorie budget (1200 - 1500). I'm looking for healthy alternatives but am conscience of making sure I keep getting my veggies. I do still try and have mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. They may not be a full PF or SC, but I do "munch" on something. There are days I am strict and other days I'm more relaxed. I've started weighing myself every day but only logging 1 time a week. I am just under 20# to my goal which is about 15# under the maximum for my weight and age. I expect my weight loss to slow the closer I reach goal (145# for me). I am also working to keep up w/ my exercise. In general, I'd say I'm eating NS 1/2 or less of the time. Most of my NS meals now tend to be lunch but I am also researching and finding substitutes for them. Hope that helps.
  • shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Other than FF, I have always added in my own salads, and healthy fruits and I took about a Two week break from all NS Lunches and dinners, I was tired of them. Well during that break I continued to eat healthy with lean meats, veggies and fruits, yogurt, lowfat cheese, butter, non-fat milk and I purchased some NS bars & Choc muffins at Walmart for desserts. Now I'm back on my Entree's once again, with all of the above. So I feel it will be an easy weeing off NS. Everyday, just try to add more and more of your own food. Best of luck to you! hugs!
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Without added PFs and SCs, you are depriving your body of not only calories, but SUPER important nutrients!! Your body really needs those healthy vitamins and proteins.
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just switched to weekends on my own. I use those two days as "practice". I have a tendancy not to eat enough on my own. Trying to make healthy choices. Ive been looking online at equivilants. My next order (maybe my last). I may not open it and try a month on my own.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Even though I would recommend "healthy" choices like MsDimeo said, the most important thing is to be mindful of our calories for the day or week. For example, if you want, you can have 1200 calories of only ice cream (but that's it for the day) and you would still lose/maintain weight. (Not that I would suggest that, but just to make a point). So keeping within our calorie goals is key to weight loss/maintenance.

Keep fighting!!

KB
  • shedthesweater
    Options
    I quit ordering, although I still pick up items at Walmart. I'm doing great with the food I still have left over and my own salads and shakes, so no worries of not ordering NS food. I do miss some of the bars, but again pick up what I can at Walmart.
  • shedthesweater
    Options
    I delayed for a few months, but then called back and stopped the Autoship

• dottieketostrong
    dottieketostrong Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's easy to do it on your own. Just keep logging your food, drinking your water, and exercising. Read labels before buying something that claims to be healthy. Eat whole grains, lean meats, non-starchy vegetables, and healthy fats. Make sure your snacks are things like Greek yogurt or fresh fruit or nuts. Continue to watch your portions. After all these years, I STILL measure my food. A tablespoon, a half cup, a cup, 4 ounces... I can pretty much eye it, but I still want to use my measuring tools because it's too easy to misjudge.
  • rlhealey
    rlhealey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dottie. I keep a close eye on portions, water, and food quality. I count every calorie and stay within the goals I set for myself in regards to calories per day.
  • evhutchings
    Options
    Im learning this now too! I love love love not eating as many processed foods! Went to dinners my way....i just like the convenience of low glycemic foods already figured out for me...
  • 1Ginabb
    1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been on the program for 3 months. I have lost 20 lbs and have another 20 to go for goal. After being on the program for a month. I started getting more creative and lax with my menu. I generally eat my NS lunch, I enjoy my PF and SC carb around mid morning and then I have a NS lunch (or dinner entrée) for dinner I may have a NS meal or I may eat lean meats like steak, grilled chicken, baked salmon or flounder. The key is portion (4 oz if using the meat as a entrée, 3 oz if using as a PF). I also stay away from pork. For some reason even lean pork roast causes me to retain water. I have found that I am actually losing faster now that I am mixing my own meals in. Also, don't forget those veggies. Sometimes when I am having a bloat week I will replace my mid morning or afternoon snacks (SC or PF) with veggies. Due to this and my vacation week, I now have 6 extra weeks of dinners and lunches. I have postponed my shipment for a month.
  • evhutchings
    Options
    Me too,,, changed my ns food to dinners my way...im so much happier with less processed foods!
  • jrp29646
    jrp29646 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm still following the program pretty closely. There are 2 farmers' markets open in my area, so it's easy for me to get fresh vegetables that actually have a great taste - heirloom tomatoes, etc.
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing the "weekends on my own". I have one month on the way and one lined up. I may delay that one but not sure yet. I like the idea of having my foods ready to go. People ask me if I'm tired of the foods yet. Well, yes I am but I also got tired of regular foods as well and that's when I'd experiment with new more fattening options.
  • shedthesweater
    Options
    So smart to have some NS food on hand, for those busy days when you run super low on veggies or fruit. I want to make sure I have some there as a back-up.
  • evhutchings
    Options
    So smart to have some NS food on hand, for those busy days when you run super low on veggies or fruit. I want to make sure I have some there as a back-up.
    Appreciate that advice...just went to dinners my way....weaning off ns....but so appreciate the convenience of the bars and muffins when im in a hurry

• 1Ginabb
    1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Totally agree, great advice. Most of the time cheating isn't because of lack of willpower it's because of lack of time or available good foods.
  • shedthesweater
    Options
    I agree!