Wedding Last Week!!

Options
BioQueen
BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
Hi Everyone! My wedding was last weekend, it was amazing!!! Everything was wonderful and perfect and just how I hoped it would be. I was also SO proud of myself for losing 51 pounds before the wedding to go from 181 (at my highest, that weight was recorded several years ago) to 130 pounds. I probably lost 25 pounds from last November until the wedding, but I yo-yoed quite a bit before that.

I have seen some pictures from friends and I am SO proud of myself for losing the weight. That day was the happiest because I got to marry my husband, but I really really really wanted to love how I looked and felt. I am so happy to know that I will love looking at my pictures (now and for many many years to come).

For anyone who is losing for the wedding, I just wanted to say how WORTH IT it is to do this for yourself. It is an amazing day, and I felt amazing in every way.

Also, don't sweat the small stuff when it comes to wedding planning. Details are really appreciated, but make sure you are super happy with your music (DJ/band), food, venue, and photography, and that you are always communicating well with them.

Replies

• CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Sounds like you had an amazing day and you look gorgeous in your picture! Amazing job on the weight loss! So happy for you!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! So glad your day was everything you wanted it to be. Thanks for the encouragement too. I think you summed it up will that you'll be happy to look at your pictures in years to come because you looked and felt like you wanted to.
  • smontes16
    smontes16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! Coming from someone who has experienced loosing weight before the big day, can you or any of you ladies offer some advice? I ordered my dress about 4 months ago and when the lady measured me she measured me at a size 10. Since getting sized I have lost 13lbs. My dress is estimated to come in mid august (about 3 weeks) and at the rate I am going I am loosing about 1.4 lbs a week which will put me down 17lbs before my first fitting. My question to you girls is, should I go into the salon and have them re-measure me to see if I can get my dress in a smaller size? Furthermore, my ultimate goal is to loose a total of 25 lbs before my big day-which puts me at 12 more lbs to go. Should i post pone my dress fitting? Altering the dress isn’t the only thing they will be doing-I also want the seamstress to lower the back. Any brides have experience with having the back of there dress lowered a bit?
  • BioQueen
    Options
    smontes16 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your loss! Coming from someone who has experienced loosing weight before the big day, can you or any of you ladies offer some advice? I ordered my dress about 4 months ago and when the lady measured me she measured me at a size 10. Since getting sized I have lost 13lbs. My dress is estimated to come in mid august (about 3 weeks) and at the rate I am going I am loosing about 1.4 lbs a week which will put me down 17lbs before my first fitting. My question to you girls is, should I go into the salon and have them re-measure me to see if I can get my dress in a smaller size? Furthermore, my ultimate goal is to loose a total of 25 lbs before my big day-which puts me at 12 more lbs to go. Should i post pone my dress fitting? Altering the dress isn’t the only thing they will be doing-I also want the seamstress to lower the back. Any brides have experience with having the back of there dress lowered a bit?

Thank you guys!

So I lost about 25/30 pounds between when I got my dress (off the rack, woo!) and when I had my wedding. I was very lucky because the kind of dress I got required few alterations because I had already lost most of my weight on the top half of my body. I am a bit disproportionate in weight loss, my top half is tiny now and my lower half is catching up. That being said, the dress I got really was easy to tailor. I got it in a size 10 or 12 (can't remember) and by the end I was probably a size 6. They say you shouldn't alter more than 2 sizes down (I think?), but in my case it worked. What kind of dress silhouette did you get? If it is anything that hugs a lot it may be tricky with a 25 pound weight loss and you go down multiple sizes. Best bet is to ask your seamstress. You will also probably slow down in your weight loss (I didn't hit my goal of 120-125, although I was SUPER happy to be at 130 pounds so it didn't really matter) as you lose more. Even though I have an estimated weight loss of 1-1.5 pounds a week it doesn't always go that way anymore.
  • smontes16
    Options
    Good to know! My dress it a fit and flare. fitted around the waist and hips and flares out around the knees. I may go to the salon today and see what they say. I am nervous that the ladies will say "you look great-done loose any more weight"
  • BioQueen
    Options
    Good to know! My dress it a fit and flare. fitted around the waist and hips and flares out around the knees. I may go to the salon today and see what they say. I am nervous that the ladies will say "you look great-done loose any more weight"

That's the worst! I very much when people tell me to stop/I don't need to lose anymore (it's my body not theirs lol, although I know they are trying to be nice/sweet). I would definitely ask them. If I were in that position I would probably order it at the size I am now before I lose more weight (which is also why I ended up getting my dress in the 10/12) than have it end up too small (bridal sizes are weird to begin with). The people at the store should know if it will still work 25 pounds down. How much time do you have before your wedding? :)
  • smontes16
    Options
    89 days :)
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

My dress is fit and flare and I ordered my dress (see profile pic) a few months ago at my size then. I asked how much weight I could lose before alterations would be a problem, and I was told that it could easily be taken in 4 sizes without issue. I've lost 10 lbs since then and am hoping to lose at least 10 more.
  • BioQueen
    Options
    89 days :)

Awesome, so exciting! I would definitely just have the seamstress work with you and it will be amazing :)
    My dress is fit and flare and I ordered my dress (see profile pic) a few months ago at my size then. I asked how much weight I could lose before alterations would be a problem, and I was told that it could easily be taken in 4 sizes without issue. I've lost 10 lbs since then and am hoping to lose at least 10 more.

I agree, it's amazing what seamstresses can do. I know some dresses get fussy and can't be altered more sizes based on their structure or any beading/design they have. But if the seamstress says its doable than it should be great :)

• gthing1978
    gthing1978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post!!! Your pic does look gorg! Congrats :) Do you have honeymoon plans?