New to fitbit

Options
antmcd13
antmcd13 Posts: 23 Member
Hi, I have been using my fitbit HR for 2 days now and must say I love it. I have researched alot of what has been written on here, whilst most of it has been brilliant help, I've somehow managed to confuse my self! (Which isn't that difficult)

So I have linked my fitbit to MFP as well as MAP MY RIDE ect. I have changed my dairy on MFP to allow for the fitbit deficit, also changed my exercise on MFP to seditry.

Is this correct? I will continue to log all food through MFP, let fitbit count my steps walking and running, then use map my ride or map my fitness for swimming ect.

Then, once synced, all my extra earned calories show up in MFP. only thing is my daily calorie goal is just over 1200. This doesn't seem enough, or will this change as the day goes on?

I don't normally exercise to earn extra food as I need to loose Wright. I normally stick with my goal no matter how many extra I earn.

Can anyone help me please, I'd love to hear if what I'm doing is correct?

Thank you ☺

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Your daily goal with no exercise included is how MFP sets up - and based totally on your choices of activity level (which will be corrected with Fitbit daily burn) and weekly weight loss amount.
    So that barely above 1200 would only be on days truly sedentary with no exercise.

I can't believe MFP gave 1200 though for a man - might check your settings.

This also implies you likely selected too large of a weight loss goal to be reasonable.
    You've got room for 1 lb weekly until you have 10-15 lbs left, then 1/2 lb weekly would be reasonable.

Should include full-body resistance training though to keep muscles mass, if not, go to 1/2 lb now.

That is correct setup though.
    Fitbit is being corrected with more accurate info from MMR/MMF - and then MFP is being corrected with better info from Fitbit.

If you want friends to see workouts - just make a manual post about it.
  • antmcd13
    Options
    OK thankyou. :) so wen my fitbit correct calories shows up on MFP as well as any walks I do ect this isn't doubling my calorie allowed for that day as it's separate?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    All the burn stuff happens on Fitbit where you have the extra data replacing whatever Fitbit came up with - or didn't at all for swimming.

The adjustment is not specific about exercise despite the ill-conceived location being in the exercise diary.
    It could be no exercise but increased activity. It could be sleeping all day and 1 big workout but still negative adjustment.

I really don't understand your question though as it really doesn't make sense - no to doubling, but there is no separate aspect to it either.
    I think you may be thinking something else is happening when it doesn't.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking these basic questions! I'm on day 3 of wearing my Fit Bit and am a little overwhelmed. :# The pinned threads are helpful of course, I'm just wading through.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    antmcd13 wrote: »
    So when my fitbit correct calories shows up on MFP as well as any walks I do ect this isn't doubling my calorie allowed for that day as it's separate?

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Do not log any step-based activity. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so there's never any "double dipping."

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.
  • Gska17
    Options
    I have a question about enabling the negative calorie adjustment. I read somewhere on here to only enable that if I'm having a sick or lazy day. Should I have it enabled all the time? Thanks in advance.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    I have a question about enabling the negative calorie adjustment. I read somewhere on here to only enable that if I'm having a sick or lazy day. Should I have it enabled all the time?

If you disable negative calorie adjustments, you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level. No need to turn it on & off—just leave it on.
  • antmcd13
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated :-)
  • Gska17
    Options
    Thanks! I'll leave it on/enabled.