Yaz or Yasmin for PCOS?

Options
Hello all!

I am trying to decide which birth control to take. I get a regular period without birth control, but I need something for, well, actual birth control and I was thinking of going for the pill to help with lovely pcos symptoms (unwanted hair, weight gain, moods, etc).

I was thinking of Yaz or Yasmin. I've been on Yasmin before and had good results (no weight gain, bigger boobs

Replies

• la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ok for some reason it got cut off.

Continued: but my doctor is thinking Yaz. Has anybody had experience with either and wants to share their thoughts? Thanks!

I've tried the Nuva ring and didn't like it. And I'm scared of IUD's
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I remember being horrified at the potential side effects listed on Yaz, so I never took it, but I'm sure it's similar to most birth control risks, but I wasn't overly rational (going through a divorce at the time) and can't know for sure.

I currently take Microgestin, and it has really helped with MY symptoms, but it is an estrogen and progesterone one, whereas Yaz is progesterone only. So I think it would really depend on your estrogen levels already, as well as whether you have signs of estrogen dominance (if you've not been tested lately.

I don't know your age, but hormonal birth control can always cause high blood pressure if you've the risks for it, so things to consider.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I take Zarah which is a generic of Yasmin. Yaz is definitely not the same. I was accidentally put on Yaz for a month and gained a large amount of weight and felt awful because it offset my period by over a week- any other BC could have done this too but just shows the hormones don't work the same. If Yasmin worked for you, I'd stick with it.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to take Yasmin and I LOVED it. It was the first bcp I ever took and it was prescribed to me because it doesn't have any androgens in it. Then the generics started coming out and my body just didn't respond well to some of them - especially Ocella. I think I was ok on Zarah though. My current insurance doesn't cover yasmin (probably because of the class action lawsuits) so I'm now on Falmina.

Knit - you're right about the side effects. The lawsuits have to do with women having blood clots. A college friend had a pulmonary embolism while on it. Another friend of mine who works for a pharma company tried to talk me out of taking it for years and said Yasmin and Yaz were the same - although I still don't believe her. I think some of the generics are for both though...

That being said, I miss how good I felt on Yasmin, but Falmina (and Aviane which was just discontinued, but is the same type of bcp) makes me feel almost as good! My periods are super short and not horribly heavy like they used to be, but I bloat a lot more than previously.

Everyone's different though so it may take some trial and error.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @jaimekbee1219 You might call your insurance company or have your doctor call them, because once a case is made that you cannot tolerate what is in the generic of a medication, most insurance plans will cover the original version. It might be at a slightly higher rate, but it will normally be covered. Add to that most name branded medications usually have a coupon or discount available online somewhere, and you might be able to get the one you really liked. It's all about getting your medical team and insurance program to work FOR YOU.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know I've heard of the side effects too, but I'm generally a very healthy person and never had any health problems, other than PCOS. It's just the other forms of birth control I don't really want to do , and I think Yasmin really helps with PCOS side effects. I tried another BC pill and it was TERRIBLE.

I thought of the copper IUD but my periods are already painful enough and I hear that makes it worse.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions guys!

• jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @jaimekbee1219 You might call your insurance company or have your doctor call them, because once a case is made that you cannot tolerate what is in the generic of a medication, most insurance plans will cover the original version. It might be at a slightly higher rate, but it will normally be covered. Add to that most name branded medications usually have a coupon or discount available online somewhere, and you might be able to get the one you really liked. It's all about getting your medical team and insurance program to work FOR YOU.

I had no idea!! Thanks for the info! I'm getting better at being more assertive with my health professionals thanks to reading these message boards :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    For example, my Nasonex (allergy spray) is normally a $25 copay because it's a brand name, but they have a six time use coupon that takes $20 off your copay, so I'm getting it for $5 right now. Also, most pharmaceutical companies have a thing that if you contact them and tell them your insurance won't cover it but give them a testimonial as to why you need their brand, they'll usually give you a discount or send some free or send coupons, etc. Rx meds is a profit industry, and every BRAND wants loyal clients!

LoveloveLOVE the fact that you're getting more assertive with the health professionals. That can only serve you more and more as time goes on.