Logging activities

Options
antmcd13
antmcd13 Posts: 23 Member
Hi is there a way to log any time I'm driving so it will take away any steps recorded within that time? I'm a multi drop delivery driver and wanted to make sure my step count was more true. I went to log driving time as an activity but it asked for calories burnt and so I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it? Thankyou

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise In Fitbit—never MFP—and there's an activity called Driving.
  • antmcd13
    Options
    Ideal thank you. And is this within the fitbit app or online only?
  • editorgrrl
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In the app, tap "Track exercise."

Or here's how to do it online: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-delete-data
  • antmcd13
    Options
    Ideal thanks, 1 last thing lol if it shows up that your burning some calories is that just because you are still burning some by moving breathing ect?
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    There's also an app called Drivebit that, from what I understand, makes the process easier. I haven't tried it, because I don't drive a lot, but it might be ideal for you. I think you tell Drivebit when you start and stop driving and it makes the activity record in Fitbit for you.

And yes, your Fitbit will always show that you're burning some calories, because you do that just by being alive.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    antmcd13 wrote: »
    If it shows up that you're burning some calories is that just because you are still burning some by moving breathing etc.?

Yes. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight.
  • antmcd13
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh ideal I'll look for that app now. Thankyou all for your help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ideal thanks, 1 last thing lol if it shows up that your burning some calories is that just because you are still burning some by moving breathing ect?

Yes - in fact that calorie burn rate per 5 min in your daily graph - if you are not moving you are given sleeping calorie burn rate.

That's why it underestimates if anything - because when awake you actually burn more, if standing you burn more, driving with no steps you burn more, ect.
  • antmcd13
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Yes - in fact that calorie burn rate per 5 min in your daily graph - if you are not moving you are given sleeping calorie burn rate.

That's why it underestimates if anything - because when awake you actually burn more, if standing you burn more, driving with no steps you burn more, ect.

Oh I see! I'm just worried about using up all my calories I'm allowed including my earned fitbit ones. I tend to use up all my 'normal ones' but not my extra fitbit ones so think I should start using them
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I'm just worried about using up all my calories I'm allowed including my earned fitbit ones. I tend to use up all my 'normal ones' but not my extra fitbit ones so think I should start using them

Trust your Fitbit for a few weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.