Recent Bike Rides

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
Hello everyone,

I'm doing this post at Karen's request. She asked to see photos of any of my recent bike rides since I haven't posted in a while. I haven't had many big rides, at leas that I thought were worth sharing or ones that I had time to stop and take photos (hard to do when I am with other or choose a route that is all roads... cars don't appreciate my need to stop and take snaps on narrow winding back roads).

I haven't had a chance to do any metric century or really long rides in a while. But hopefully that will change soon, i just have to find one that looks like my legs wont walk off in protest after 5,000ft in climbing.

I've been trying to do more climbing, making it up and over larger hills both on road and off. Some with more success then others. Apparently in some situations you can only tell yourself 23 times "just get over the next hill" before deciding to turn around. But the tops of hills are where the best views are and If I ever wish to travel far and wide hills will eventually get in the way, so better to learn to get over them then go around.

The end of my first year back on the bike was last month on June 16th. So my total miles for the first 365 days back on the bike came to: 2,322.52 miles. Not too shabby. Think how far I could travel in 2,322 miles...

Apologies if I have posted these before, I can't remember what my last post was.

My first big uphill ride through the winding hills along side the Calaveras Reservoir.
xjm1stjd9r7a.jpg
kiklxqa7gzig.jpg

A beautiful ride along Lake Chabot through the redwood hills of Oakland, CA.
lm75s2zfk19b.jpg
s39802cvgfuu.jpg
7w72uv79e8l3.jpg

Morgan Territory Road widning it's way up behind Mt. Diablo. This ride kicked my *kitten*, dragged it around the road and then sent me racing downhill to escape.
wwu7xv9iu81j.jpg
cwrvvqedpunj.jpg
fszd39lgmbsm.jpg

Beautiful Redwoods Regional Park, a grove of redwoods in the middle of a city... and a punishing ride
okzet63dtdj4.jpg
i7vfdke8tmmd.jpg

Coyote Hills amongst the salt flats of San Fransisco bay3iikvs7ikuwb.jpg
97rybjj92ngy.jpg
tjw5exnwb0f8.jpg

Replies

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Just based on pics, I am moving to California... it's awesome out there.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Pat, thank you!! These are just STUNNING.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Right, Cari?

Patrick, this is amazing. Glad to see you making such progress and feeling great doing it. I'm sorry things have slowed down and started creepin' for you, but it happens to all of us. Love to see you fighting back!

And positively amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing!
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Despite the slowness I am having a great time, and feeling all the more blessed to live where I do. All these places I can get to in 30min or less. So many places to visit.

Some of you may enjoy this article: http://www.newportri.com/newportdailynews/news/page_one/fat-guy-on-a-mission/article_308366d9-4582-550d-8546-dcee6e2e0ef7.html
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I saw that link on Facebook but hadn't had the time to read it. I like that he has the luxury of doing this, and that because it is public that folks are donating things (specifically the bike shop owner), but in some ways, this type of thing kind of makes me angry, because what about the rest of us in just as much a struggle as he is, but we have lives and jobs and things that we can't just walk away from to focus solely on our health and such? Grand gestures are incredible, and at some point, we generally need to make them, but I think it is the little things, the things we do every day that should be in this article - not the extreme measures one man is taking....

That being said, I'm not trying to be overly negative, and I wish him nothing but the best on his journey. I just wish the slower, daily, less extreme, yet still painful journey to health was at least sensational enough to make headlines sometimes, too.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I saw that link on Facebook but hadn't had the time to read it. I like that he has the luxury of doing this, and that because it is public that folks are donating things (specifically the bike shop owner), but in some ways, this type of thing kind of makes me angry, because what about the rest of us in just as much a struggle as he is, but we have lives and jobs and things that we can't just walk away from to focus solely on our health and such? Grand gestures are incredible, and at some point, we generally need to make them, but I think it is the little things, the things we do every day that should be in this article - not the extreme measures one man is taking....

That being said, I'm not trying to be overly negative, and I wish him nothing but the best on his journey. I just wish the slower, daily, less extreme, yet still painful journey to health was at least sensational enough to make headlines sometimes, too.

Carly, that's why you should keep blogging. And turn your blog into a book.

Most of us wind up doing exactly what you talking about in your blog--plodding along, making daily changes, struggling to pay the bills.

That said, put your needs "out" in public. Post them here on MFP. See if someone will donate some clothing to you, or provide you with something else you might need. I kind of recall last year that when you needed a bathing suit, "someone" sent one to you. ;-)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I can't fathom anyone wanting to read my "book." But I've been considering just that.

And I included my post on my wall. One I get moving downward on the scale again, or sizes, I'll put out and APB...lol.
  • melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Patrick, these pictures are AMAZING!! I love seeing them. You are truly blessed to live in an area with so much surrounding beauty :smiley:

Get in the picture next time!!
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing those pictures were so awesome!! Im taking one and making it my screensaver!!
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    are you Patrick Boehner?
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    allofme32 wrote: »
    are you Patrick Boehner?

I am!

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am jealous of your riding locations! It's boring here in Kansas!