New here

hello. I am a mom of two little boys. My oldest is 2 and my little guy is 3 months. I recently had to have my gallbladder removed. It was a real wake up call about how much fatty food I eat. I am nursing right now so I still need a lot of calories. I just need to change the quality of the calories! I find myself grabbing quick things to eat because I am so busy with the boys. Does anyone have any good tips for quick on the go filling healthy snacks?

Replies

• vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Granola bars, string cheese and chopped up fresh fruit. I have 7 of my own so I know about being busy. Good luck!!
  • jessikennedy78
    jessikennedy78 Posts: 6 Member
    Hey there! I am right there with you, and have also been trying to do better lately. I do well with a 0% Fage Greek yougurt with fruit. 120 calories but loads of protein, delicious and tides me over for a while. I also love chopped up yellow pepper, with hummus or by itself. Who knew it was such a satisfying crunch:) Almonds too! My kids are 5 and 11, and I am just as busy as ever!
  • ashleyfreeman17
    ashleyfreeman17 Posts: 34 Member
    I always have a big container of veggies cut up in the fridge... That way when you are running around and need a snack you are more likely to grab some of that because it is easy and no prep. Also, homemade muffins, homemade granola (with plain yogurt and berries), homemade granola bars, fresh fruit, a couple slices of cheese, a handful of pumpkin seeds/sesame seeds. I know the "homemade" part sounds daunting but that way you can control what you are eating and putting in the recipes. A store bought/prepackaged muffin/granola has so many calories in the sugars and 'crap' that after a short while you will feel hungry and unsatisfied and will use all your calories on that. I take half an hour to an hour after the kids are in bed during the week to make batches of this stuff, to cut up veggies, etc. so that I am prepared. This has made a huge difference in my eating! :)