2015 MFP Tour De France Challenge - Results Thread

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
Ladies and Gentlemen Welcome to the Prizegiving ceremony.

First Up, We have the Sprinters Jersey - The Traditional Green Jersey- this is based on the highest average speed over the entire Giro duration.

This Jersey was won with an average of 30.44ph - a mere 0.42kph faster than his nearest rival... Our Jersey winner this year is...

20074818442_2cf775eeab_o.jpg

Our Very own Peter Sagan, otherwise known as Clive... @cloggsy71

Second Prize category is not really a "Jersey" as such, and one that I've not actually mentioned beforehand, because I didn't actually want anyone to be competing for it...

There's a tradition of awarding the last person on GC in the Tour de France a "Lanterne Rouge"... from the rear light that is fitted to the final carriage in a freight train.

So - this year's Lanterne Rouge is... @verdemujer

19461759973_101344e2cc_o.jpg

Back to the Jersey's - and this time it's the Climbers Jersey - based on the GPS logged ascent as per Strava links. This years winner clocked up a frankly ridiculous 32,102metres of ascent - that's higher than any of my 21 rides were long...

19461758863_204c18ace3_o.jpg

Well done @Jakess1971.

A notable "mention in despatches" and Award of the "Henri Desgrange" prize for biggest single ride ascent in the challenge has to go to @Dave2041, with his "Everesting" ride on the 11th July - check it out here - https://www.strava.com/activities/344097982

and also - I've been running an "all rounder" competition based on points for the three main jerseys - everyone gets points from 36 down to 1 point based on their position in the three jersey competitions. The "all rounder" is the person with the highest overall points combined... It's a bit complicated, but if you check the logging spreadsheet, it makes a little more sense. It also allows me to bring back (a version of) my all-time favourite Jersey in any Race - the Combined Jersey...

Anyhow...

20056476616_eee7b88be5_o.jpg[/url]

Our All-Rounders competition winner is rider #326 - @dahamac - a very consistent performance, 4th in the climbing, second on GC, and 3rd in the sprints - very impressive to hit that kind of speed whilst still clocking up silly distances up and down lots of hills.

And so to the Big One. GC - the Yellow Jersey.

Well - it'll come as no surprise to anyone that the winner of our challenge this year is... @Jakess1971

19894660418_91ab60992a_o.jpg

What can I say about this performance... Jason actually rode more than the total distance 3,366.7km... which basically means, he rode further than 29 of the pro's (as only 160 of 189 finished the distance) - and, the actual total would have been higher had he not inadvertently deleted one of his rides from the Garmin. Just staggering my friend, staggering. Chapeau!

And Finally - the Team Competition...

Well - to be honest, this was always only ever going to go one way, considering Jason's ride...

Team Winners for this year are TeamPIE

17215039518_90291bc5db_o.jpg

So...

That's it folks for the TdF. All that remains is to thank everyone for their participation, and to remind you to keep your eyes peeled for the next installment of the Grand Tour Challenge - LaVuelta - commencing in Porto Banus on the 22nd of August, and running until the 13th September...

Replies

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Full details of all the rides, and lots of stats and comparison charts can be found in the usual place - the logging spreadsheet...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-25uHM98B6nbxmJrIn0OSTbXYICff__L9s0zbBDR0Is/edit?usp=sharing
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Congrats everyone on great ride! Jason you were amazing!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Great tour everybody. Looking forward to la Vuelta and hopefully being a bigger contributor.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Awesome! As always Mark, thank you very much for 'keeping things in check', even though sometimes it's difficult (to say the least). Without the 'Classics' and the 'Grand Tour Challenges' my yearly riding would be a very dull affair. I say it every year; "If you build it, they will come..." and it's true!

Well done to all those who took an active part in the challenge and especially to Jake & Dave for their sterling efforts!

Again, I'm delighted to have come away with the green jersey; although I was pushed this year... I'd be very interested to see what my stats were this year as opposed to last - have I made any improvements?

Chapeau all & looking forward to the Vuelta ;)
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Pretty much said it all in the other thread but again a big thanks to Mark for running this and for riding every stage after being crocked is an achievement in itself.

Nice one to everyone who rode and kept the submissions going, find it very motivating to see what's what and see where you stand each day, the Strava tables are fun but the spreadsheet is the daddy!

Clive you are unbeatable as the speed demon! and dahamac to do that distance while still having a cracking speed is quite something.

Proud of my team, even without my kms they alone did one and a half of the course, not just any Pie we are Pro Pie :).

• TheBigYin
    Options
    very marginally slower than the Giro Clive...

30.44kph in letour 2015, 30.58in giro 2015,
    31.63kph in the vuelta 2014, 32.55 letour 2014, 32.69kph giro 2014.
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well done to the winners, Jason you were amazing, no way i could beat that without taking time off work! missed out on second in the yellow to the deserving Dahamac, who beat me to second by 15km >< Next time! :smiley:

Thanks for the mention :smiley:
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the riders that participated and to the individual winners...And, a "Job well done" too all the people that assisted Dr. Yin in keeping the stats up to date. I'm happy I wasn't at the very bottom for once.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the riders that participated and to the individual winners...And, a "Job well done" too all the people that assisted Dr. Yin in keeping the stats up to date. I'm happy I wasn't at the very bottom for once.
  • cloggsy71
    edited July 2015
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

What about distance & climbing stats Mark? I think I've done more climbing etc. this time around?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »

What about distance & climbing stats Mark? I think I've done more climbing etc. this time around?

More than Double the Ascent mate - thats the trips out with the Club ;)

Tfd 2015 7,936
    Giro 2015 6,835
    Vuelta 2014 3,674
    TdF 2014 3,412
    Giro 2014 3,516
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - I'm embarrassed to have the Red Lantern. But not surprised. So - I am not signing up for the next one. Riding the long distances or even short one's isn't happening as often as it should for these efforts. I apologize for my poor showing.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Chapeau to all the participants. It's been agonising sitting in the wings and just watching all the great rides get posted!!

Kudos to all the jersey winners. I know what it takes to win those and it ain't easy!!!! Jason, you were completely mental mate :)

Hopefully I'll be back on the bike in a few more weeks and will have a bit of time to work on regaining fitness before the Vuelta!!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Looking at those numbers makes me feel like I was riding a tricycle. Those are some INCREDIBLE! numbers. Way go to folks! Thanks again to Mark for running this challenge. I hope I can pick up my game a bit for the Vuelta.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »

More than Double the Ascent mate - thats the trips out with the Club ;)

Tfd 2015 7,936
    Giro 2015 6,835
    Vuelta 2014 3,674
    TdF 2014 3,412
    Giro 2014 3,516

Awesome mate - thought so... Cheers ;)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    verdemujer wrote: »
    Oh my goodness - I'm embarrassed to have the Red Lantern. But not surprised. So - I am not signing up for the next one. Riding the long distances or even short one's isn't happening as often as it should for these efforts. I apologize for my poor showing.

Its no shame to get the Lanterne Rouge... Even at 88.2km, you were lapping all the people sat on the couch! You rode, you finished - that said, personal circumstances can often dictate we don't get to ride as often as we'd like and I fully understand of you wish to sit the next one out, give me a shout next year if you fancy rejoining.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    And to everyone thanking ME for running this - I'll simply say "It wouldn't be anything without the people riding it" - I've always believed in putting something back into any community I belong to - and considering that this place probably saved my life by getting me back on track towards a sensible weight, frankly a bit of data entry 3 times a year seems a trivial thing to give...

I only wish I could have contributed more to my team's overall distance and ascent (I know I'm never likely to be hitting the speed charts anymore - I seem to have misplaced that knack)... less than half distance from 2014 to this year in both the Giro and LeTour makes me feel like I've been more of an Anchor than a Rider.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Anyone Bored yet...
    11732043_828358717260505_6596321360597533205_o.jpg

(is it too early for a Beer ?)
  • glenncomiskey
    glenncomiskey Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone, the winners and especially to Jason. Bonkers doesn't begin to describe his effort. He's well and truly laid down the gauntlet.
    Thanks also to Mark for running this event. It's a great motivation for getting on the bike.