Lump under incision

Options
nilklynn
nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
hi all,
I was sleeved 7/13 and am slowly learning the process. I'm managing my fluid and protein ok, but the pain is getting to me.

I've now developed a lump under my main incision. It's the size of a golf ball/egg. It burns like crazy! Is this normal? There's a red circle around it, but that's been there since surgery. It doesn't feel hot. Ugh. I'm just so sick of feeling crappy. I had to take a pain pill tonight because I just couldn't be strong any more. Does any one have any experience with this?

Replies

• JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    call your surgeon in the morning, that doesn't sound right at all. I remember there was some discomfort 14 days out and I was pretty weak (I was in hosp for a week afterward). Do you have to do heparin shots in your abdomen? that could be the cause, it could have caused a minor bleed under the skin, but call your surgeon.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Always best to check with the surgeon but if not warm to touch it may be a thickening of the scar tissue or fluid. Best to have it checked to make sure it isn't a hernia an infection brewing.

• blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, call your Dr for sure. I ripped my internal stitches at 2 weeks. It hurt like crazy but there were no lumps or redness even with that.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Naturally my surgeon is on vacation this week. Saw a different guy. Not infected. He told me Tylenol and warm compresses.

In other news, still no pills. Any tips for getting crushed pills down? The liquid makes me vomit.

*this is temporary. It will be worth it in the end. This is temporary. It will be worth it...*
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I remember mixing meds into the kids pureed fruit when they were little to get them t take something they wouldn't swallow. Of course it was a liquid med.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    During the initial couple of weeks I used a pill cutter and got them down to a size I could handle. Check to see if your pills can be cut first. The cutter is cheap
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear that it was nothing. Is the doc telling you no pills? I have been taking my pills as directed since the day after surgery. I just have to remember to sip my water with them and not take a huge swig like I am used to.
  • Athollass
    Athollass Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try unsweetened apple sauce or sugar-free pudding. It will help disguise the taste and will go down easier.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I vote for the cutter too, I gagged at the crushed they were awful - but cut I could sip and get them down that way. And kids liquid tylenol worked better than the painkillers for both me and my finance' - it might be worth a try :) feel better soon!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yep,I used the cutter also so much easier to get down than to gag on crushed in applesauce..in fact, with some pills I still use it..my calcium citrate is huge so I have to cut them
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    A pill cutter is a worthwhile investment. I cut my multivitamin every day.
  • ADF108
    ADF108 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    duffslove wrote: »
    Yep,I used the cutter also so much easier to get down than to gag on crushed in applesauce..in fact, with some pills I still use it..my calcium citrate is huge so I have to cut them

Have you tried Citracal Petites? They are manageable size.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ADF108 wrote: »
    Have you tried Citracal Petites? They are manageable size.

No, I haven't, I'm using calcium citrate plus from GNC, I may have to look into the petites..thank you

• shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon. I used sugar free jello to get down my crushed pills. I tried jello pudding also but the actual strawberry jello worked best for me. I hope you find the perfect thing to help you get your med in.