Pre-op here. Whats it like after surgery?

Options
AceOfSpada
AceOfSpada Posts: 47 Member
Hello friends...I'm Natalie
I realize after surgery it's liquid diet and then it gradually progresses as tolerated or by doctor recommendation. One thing the doctors can't tell me that you can as post op people is what is it like? Do you actually feel full? Doc says it also cuts your appetite. Tell me please how you can describe it. Thanks and please add me. I'm looking for all of the support I can't get and I would love to be a support for anyone else. B)

Replies

• gldngrl7
    gldngrl7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For me, I only occasionally experience hunger like before. And I no longer have obsessive thoughts about food, although I think that type of psychological change varies greatly from person to person. As for feeling full, that's a resounding yes! Sometimes I willl fix a bowl of something and eat maybe three or four bites and then I'm done. I'm completely satisfied having only taken in a fraction of the calories I used to.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As a former big eater I've really been surprised at the lack of appetite, and I don't miss it. I generally have to make myself eat every three to fours hours. It doesn't take much, anywhere from as little as a 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup total volume (+/-) fills me up. Early on it's easy to over eat, you'll only do that one time. Initially drink slow, eventually eat slow and follow the plan that your doc and support staff have worked out for you.
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your post has its timing. I am two weeks post, and at 9pm realized that I still have to drink my second protein shake of the day. I know that it is hard to fathom, I had the same questions as you did only a few weeks ago. To put it simply, you are not hungry and really do not feel like eating. Or at least it is that way for me. There are a few people who still experience hunger, but I am not one of them. In fact, I have to remind myself and force myself to drink my water and my protein shakes. It could be due to the amount of water you will be drinking, but I really feel full all day long. The hard part will be when your family is eating or cooking and you smell those delicious scents. But even then, you really should not have any desire for it. I am now cooking the meals for my family, and I do not have any desire to eat anything I cook, and when I do get an urge to eat, I just have one of my sugar-free popsicles. That takes care of the urge to chew something/anything.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It's so hard for your mind to believe you won't experience hunger until you literally have no hunger pangs. It's unreal. It's actually an issue for me on weekends because I'm out of my normal workday routine and have to remind myself to eat.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am 18 months out. Initially, very little hunger (first week or so). After a few weeks, I did experience hunger, but not nearly as intensely as pre-op. By 4-6 months out I was experiencing hunger, but again, it was not as intense as in the past. I also got full eating between 1/2-1 cup of food. The further out I got, the more food I was able to eat. Now I am able to eat 5-6 ounces of protein and 1/2 c of veg at a meal. I can eat 3 scrambled eggs in one meal (early one I could only eat one egg). Hope that helps. :)
  • 1triciakae
    1triciakae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am currently 11 days post op. Its like you have to completly retrain yourself to drink and eat. I don't feel hungry. I do still have those food cravings but I learned to walk away. I learned no matter how thirsty you are you need to space out your sips other wise the liquid will sit right there in your chests for a few minutes. I will be miving on to mushy food next week. I cant believe how much I missed chewing. I would suggest joining a group for fwllow sleevers in your month so you can ask questions to. Feel free to add me as a friend on here!
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Great insight. Thank you
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Repeat of exactly what the others have said (LOL), I will say be sure to log everything so make sure you are meeting your protein goals, calorie goals and water goals - not being hungry it's easy to miss them. Also, measure everything and follow your doctors instructions, it's tough in the beginning to know when you are going to hit the "overfull" point until it's too late - good news is it passes fairly quickly. You are going to do great!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    For me even when my stomach is growling loudly I still don't really feel hungry. It's that I know at that point I need to eat but whether I do or not is no big deal. I get cranky when I'm hungry so when I hear/feel my stomach I do make sure to eat something though.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Almost 6 months out and I have gotten slightly hungry like twice. My head still tells me to eat lots of crap, but it's easy to ignore for now and I am working on it. As for 'full' - it's a different kind of full. It isn't a pleasant, warm belly kind of full - you never really get that anymore. It's more like a 'something feels kind of stuck in my chest and it is very uncomfortable' type of full. It's certainly nicer to eat but not actually reach 'full'.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I must be an anomaly because I have found that I can eat more than I ever thought I would be able to again. After surgery, I was full like everyone else. But I found that only after a couple of months --- I felt hungry again. I must say that I was kind of disappointed about that but I had read it on a couple web sites so I suspected that it could happen. I wanted to post this so that you could hear another side. I stalled frequently but mostly because I tested my limits. I am back on the program and I am losing again. But it took some trial and error and it took some refocusing and dealing with challenges that don't "automatically" disappear with the surgery (stress eating, carb addiction, etc.)...if that makes sense. Best wishes to you!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to eat initially because I wasn't hungry and actually spent the first year eating on a schedule. Not because I was trying to control myself, but because if I didn't, I would forget to eat. I was told that most people lose their hunger for the first year and then it comes back, so to really get my new good habits in place. Although it's rare, I never really got my hunger back and I'm 4 years out now. I just had my 4 year checkup and was told again that I was under eating. Oh yes I struggle with head hunger. You know, that need to eat even though you might have just finished a meal, you're bored, or you know you aren't physically hungry, you just want to eat? That never really went away. But as for physical hunger? Nope, still don't have much of that. And I still can forget to eat if I'm really busy.

Hope this helps and good luck with everything. This is an awesome tool!
  • Athollass
    Athollass Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 2 months out. At first I did not feel hungry or thirsty. I do feel hunger now but it is only around meal time and am satisfied after a few bites which holds me while after my meal. I also have to remind myself to drink the protein shakes. Before surgery I guess I had head hunger because nothing seemed to satisfy and I would often over eat. Now I take much smaller portions, eat the protein first and make sure to chew foods thoroughly. If I am tempted to eat too quickly or too much I get really uncomfortable which is a good reminder to slow down.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 months out and still don't get hungry. The closest thing I get is a bit light headed, which my doc assumes is low blood sugar and is my "need to eat something now" sign. If I eat too much or too quickly I get stomach cramps and a very full feeling that I now work hard to avoid. My body is a great corrector and lets me know when I step out of line quickly. I have no regrets though.

As has been said, protein first, so I don't eat much else. My morning cup of coffee with a scoop of Musclegen genepro protein powder is one of my big keys to success. After surgery, I struggled to tolerate most protein powders, but this one dissolves so well it works nicely for me and lets me start my day with 30g of protein under my belt.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to post a "flip side". I am about 6 months out and feel hungry again. However, what I find is that now I eat like my "skinny friends"- a small portion and I can push it away when I feel satisfied. Unlike some on here I can eat anything and everything- it's choices that are important for me. Ie you can have a half cup of icecream but maybe push that glass of wine away and get some exercise lol. Or whole grain sprouted crackers versus ritz. Little things that add up to a larger picture of healthy eating.

However, I feel so much more in control of everything (food, exercise, my LIFE) that I don't think I could have even imagined it before surgery. Even the basic behavior mods were almost impossible pre op because my stomach was a bottomless pit. Long story short- I have been in your boat. I read literally probably 10000 stories and perspectives and still don't think I read a single one that was exactly like my story. They were all helpful and informative in a way. The one thing I will say that rings true for almost every person is that most don't regret surgery for a minute :)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months out and I do experience hunger. When I wake up in the morning my stomach is growling loudly. But after I eat breakfast around 8:30 a.m. it can be 2 or 3 pm before I think about eating anything again. And my tastes have changed big time. I don't crave sweets any longer and I can't stand the taste of ice cream now or potato chips. I've eaten more veggies in the past 3 months than I've eaten in the past 8 years. I eat around 1000 calories a day of protein and veggies.
  • ruthshaw3
    ruthshaw3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 months post op. I havent had the reduction in feelings of hunger that other people have mentioned. I do have food cravings but I always have so it definately hasn't made any difference in that sense. I have to strictly monitor my intake with MFP to keep me on track. Having said that, I fill up very quickly and still think it is the best thing I have ever done, I only wish I had had it done years ago!
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Klcovington- you are definitely not an anomaly. I never got that "can't eat" feeling. I'm 7 months out now. The first two months I wasn't that hungry but by the time I made it to stage III solid foods I was hungry. Not ravenous like before surgery but hungry. I'm envious when I read others have to remind themselves to eat a meal. I can't skip any meals or my stomach (what's left of it) growls. I do fill up fairly quickly but only with certain foods. Like salads I can eat a pretty big size salad, I still can't eat pasta very well. I had some pretty awful vomiting incidents with pasta early on so I might just be afraid to eat it. This surgery is definitely a Godsend but I was disappointed that I wasn't in the group of patients that rarely feels hunger. The only time I ever felt THAT way was when I was on the WL drug Meridia. Just know you are not alone. But the hunger is definitely light years away from what it used to be! And like Mycatsnameisbug, I also was a bottomless pit. Now I don't eat as big of portions.