Running To My Limit

Options
doggiesnot
doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
I'm training for my first full marathon, and on a long run (16 miles) I found that I could only run about 10-11 miles, and then walk-ran and then walked until I couldn't walk anymore at mile 14. Even downhill in the shade didn't seem possible. I was talking to myself and looking at the grass wanting to lay down. Has this happened to anyone else, and what can I do to prevent it in the future?

I'm guessing it was the perfect storm of many variables, but was wondering if it's mostly not fueling enough (or correctly), or not hydrating enough, or if it's that my muscles just can't handle that distance? Should I give up on the full and drop to a half, or lower my pace to go further?

Info:
- In previous years, I have run a total of two half-marathons.
- In the previous training weeks, I have been running 4 days per week, but no more than 10 miles.
- The training plan called for a pace of 9:30/mi but I was at a pace of 8:30/mi.
- I was on an organized run, with water/gatorade stations every two miles (I stopped at most of them)
- I had one GU packet at mile 6, no breakfast
- I ran a 5K the day before pushing hard for a good time

I finally stopped and called for assistance when I felt I was getting delirious. My body started tingling all over and I couldn't lift my legs to walk, and wanted to avoid a medical situation.

I have a hydration pack that I didn't wear due to the weight, but maybe it would have been better to have the water along with me.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• OldNoobJohn
    OldNoobJohn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would guess that this was your main issue, "- The training plan called for a pace of 9:30/mi but I was at a pace of 8:30/mi."

As an old noob, I continue to battle myself to run slowly when called for. The long run in a training plan should be run slowly.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The faster you run, the less your body utilizes fat to fuel muscle and instead relies more on glycogen. Once you run out of glycogen, you bonk and won't be running any more. Making things even more interesting, your effort also dictates how quickly your body can digest and use any carbs you take in during your run. So the faster you run, the slower your intake of carbs is meaning less energy gained from that refueling attempt. The slower you go, the more you can absorb. So slowing it down may very well be the answer. I am sure there could be other reasons, but from the info you gave I would strongly suspect a premature bonk from running too fast.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    doggiesnot wrote: »

I'm guessing it was the perfect storm of many variables, but was wondering if it's mostly not fueling enough (or correctly), or not hydrating enough, or if it's that my muscles just can't handle that distance? Should I give up on the full and drop to a half, or lower my pace to go further?

If your muscles couldn't handle the distance, you would have felt really sore and overtime incurred an overuse injury.

It could be hydration. Was it hot or really humid out? Were you sweating buckets? Water and electrolytes are important for heavy sweating.

Don't drop out of the full just yet. Keep going but most definetly slow the pace down as your plan says and as the others above suggested.

Info:
    - In the previous training weeks, I have been running 4 days per week, but no more than 10 miles.
    - The training plan called for a pace of 9:30/mi but I was at a pace of 8:30/mi.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that right there. You ran your long run way too fast.

- I was on an organized run, with water/gatorade stations every two miles (I stopped at most of them)

No breakfast and running a hard 5K the day before are 2 more suspected culprits. Being a first time marathoner, I would not run with heavy intensity the day before my long run.

I finally stopped and called for assistance when I felt I was getting delirious. My body started tingling all over and I couldn't lift my legs to walk, and wanted to avoid a medical situation.

It could be a bonk, it could also be a loss of electrolytes or dehydration.

I have a hydration pack that I didn't wear due to the weight, but maybe it would have been better to have the water along with me.

If you are concrned with the weight, you could also preplant (hide) a water bottle some where on your running course, or plan your route around a water fountain, or do a loop and back to your car or house where you can have aid ready.

BTW, a great article on bonking:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Info:
    This is good, but don't figure a marathon is like running 2 half marathons, it's a completely different animal.
    This is bad, going from 10 to 16 is a BIG jump
    This is really bad, 8:30 for 16 would be for someone who is most likely looking at 7:00-7:15 marathon pace
    This is good
    This could be good or bad. I typically run on an empty stomach, but if you have not done it in the past it's bad
    You typically want a recovery day after a hard session.

Don't abandon the idea of the full, but evaluate the pace your think is sustainable. Based on your 1:37:xx half finish an 8:30 pace marathon certainly is doable. A marathon should be run primarily in your aerobic zone which will certainly be slower than your half marathon pace. You are also running in the summer and will need to slow down due to the heat/humidity, most likely your marathon is in October/November and the temps will be much more conducive to running faster longer. I live in Wichita and our humidity on Sat/Sun was over 90% both mornings.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    Info:
    This is good, but don't figure a marathon is like running 2 half marathons, it's a completely different animal.
    This is really bad, 8:30 for 16 would be for someone who is most likely looking at 7:00-7:15 marathon pace
    This is good
    This could be good or bad. I typically run on an empty stomach, but if you have not done it in the past it's bad

Don't abandon the idea of the full, but evaluate the pace your think is sustainable. Based on your 1:37:xx half finish an 8:30 pace marathon certainly is doable. A marathon should be run primarily in your aerobic zone which will certainly be slower than your half marathon pace. You are also running in the summer and will need to slow down due to the heat/humidity, most likely your marathon is in October/November and the temps will be much more conducive to running faster longer. I live in Wichita and our humidity on Sat/Sun was over 90% both mornings.

I agree with all of this. Also adding that if you ran to the point you bonked in training you need to recover properly. This can take a few days or a few weeks. You'll feel it on your next quality day if you aren't recovered ...legs feel heavy. Like lead pipes... Hard to mentally visualize speeding up.
  • doggiesnot
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Info:

Good catch. This is also very bad.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I assumed it was 'running too fast' before I even got up to the lengthy explanation. Run slower, OP!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I recommend tying your nutrition to time vice distance. If you are using gels during your training you should take one every 45 minutes.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Info:
    This is good

Yes. All of this. The biggest red flags to me was the 10 --> 16 mile jump (way too much too soon!) and not fueling enough beforehand -- got to make sure you are hydrated going into the run and have enough energy to get you through the entire way; one 100-calorie GU packet at my 6 is definitely not going to keep you moving when you're not accustomed to the distance. And also: run your long runs slow and easy: going a minute faster than your traning schedule calls for is a bad move, especially in the summer when it's hot and you're going to be more likely to struggle anyway.

I think this was probably a perfect storm of errors, and you can learn from it, move on, and keep training for the full a little bit more wisely.
  • doggiesnot
    Options
    Awesome responses everyone! I will learn from my mistakes and keep pushing for the full!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    All the remarks above are good and I can't add to them. Yes, run slower on those longer runs and remember to go even slower, the higher the temperature is (add 30 seconds per mile for every 5°F above 60°F). Yes, on extremely hot days that will bring you nearly to a walk (consider a walk run combination to get some period of turnover pace and a walking recovery).

From my experience, what you should find is that you can accomplish the previous long distance with no real-problem, but the addition of a couple of extra miles in distance will feel somewhat challenging compared to the previous long run. So, this weekend, the 18 miler I will be running should feel fine up to 16 miles and then I should begin to notice the challenge on the last two miles. Two weeks from now I run another 18-miler. As a slow run it shouldn't be as challenging as the one this weekend.

Only once have I bonked on a training run (doing the step increase from 12-14 miles). It was very hot, I got a late start and I was back to running the local hills after running a couple of weeks on the flat at the beach. Fortunately, the street sign at the end of my street stopped the world from spinning around and it righted itself before I walked into my house.

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The faster you run, the less your body utilizes fat to fuel muscle and instead relies more on glycogen. Once you run out of glycogen, you bonk and won't be running any more. Making things even more interesting, your effort also dictates how quickly your body can digest and use any carbs you take in during your run. So the faster you run, the slower your intake of carbs is meaning less energy gained from that refueling attempt. The slower you go, the more you can absorb. So slowing it down may very well be the answer. I am sure there could be other reasons, but from the info you gave I would strongly suspect a premature bonk from running too fast.

This is basically what I would have said. Make sure you are getting proper pre-run nutrition, as well as proper hydration and fuel during your run. I learned this the exact same way as you did when I trained for my first marathon. This has never happened to me again. And as someone else noted...the toughest thing is to keep yourself going at a slower pace for those long runs...especially if you are feeling really good...you just want to go fast. Good luck!