Marathon training and weight loss

Options
kdRN13
kdRN13 Posts: 8 Member
I'm training for my 3rd marathon coming up in October (Marine Corp), and have gained about 15lbs since my last marathon. Right now i'm 172, but have run my last two marathons at 155-160lbs.

I haven't noticed a huge change in my times during training, but I know the marathon will be a lot easier if I am able to get off those extra pounds, and decrease my chance of injury.

Anyone have advice or experience on the safest and most effective way to train and eat but also lose weight. I know this is a difficult balance, especially since i've always GAINED weight during marathon training, as frustrating as that is! I'm trying to focus now on cleaner eating, more meal prepping and eating soon after my runs to avoid that post-run urge to binge on everything I see.

Happy running everyone!

-Kathleen

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to loose the weight slowly since you will need the calories that you do eat to recover from your training. Eat more protein (#1 your body needs it #2 protein help curb your appetitie).

Run your long runs slowly to burn more fat and reserve your glycogen. The more 90 minute runs you get in (medium midweek runs) at conversational pace the better to help you burn more fat.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Marathon training can lead to weight gain because it leaves you hungry and you will eat whatever you can lay your hands on. I like to keep lots of raw vegetables and fruit around, it is hard to eat enough of them to do any real damage but it will help satiate your hunger.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is my problem all the time. Always running = always hungry = hard to lose weight. Focus on eating clean regardless of the calories being consumed. I try to up my protein intake so curb hunger a little better. I will basically put eggs and beans on everything, regardless of the social acceptability of the created combinations.