Neurotin

Options
Peggy108
Peggy108 Posts: 32 Member
Is anyone else on neurotin? It really helps my nerve pain but I have read lots about it causing weight gain.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I take it. I have had no weight gain and I love how it helps my nerve pain. Been taking for a few years now.
  • LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've heard that neurontin causes weight gain. I've been on it for about 6 weeks and gained 18 pounds just in the last 3 weeks. I don't know if that was the cause, because I just joined here yesterday and wasn't recording my food before that. The doctor was concerned and will run some tests, as that 18 pounds is huge!

I decreased the dose of neurontin a bit, because it was causing me to feel lightheaded and dizzy. Did you have that side effect, too?

Linda
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm on it too. Definately gained weight and very light headed. I'm on a fairly small dose but I've been on painkillers for years so they do tend to just throw them at me now. It's not quite as bad as pizotifen - I gained 20+ lbs in three weeks on that. It's very demoralising, though.
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was on it for years for neuropathy. Went to new rheumy in November. She told me to stop taking it. You know topimax can help with neuropathy. Also as migraine preventative. First time I tried it I got vertigo but lost a ton of weight. Had to change when I lost insurance. It didn't work the second time.
  • LJFJ
    Options
    squankmuffin, are you still on neurontin? Did you let your doctor know about your lightheadedness? My doctor had me on 3 tablets morning, noon, and evening; I decreased to 1 and then went to 2. The lightheadedness and dizziness stopped, but I have to put up with some leg pain. Although I have severe neuropathy, it hasn't helped that. It's been helping some breakthrough pain on my legs from arthritis, since I can't take Ibuprofen (I take Coumadin).

Linda
  • LJFJ
    Options
    e9196tep, has the topimax helped with the neuropathy? I've had to learn to live with it, as no one has been able to treat it, and I'm tired of all the drugs. Vertigo? I have that problem because of Meniere's disease, so I sure don't want to go through more of it. Was it just the first time you took it? How long did it last?
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am on it 600 mg 3x per day for headaches, sleep, RLS, and arm pain as well as anxiety and depression. If anything it is stimulating to me and I will lose my desire to eat sometimes, especially if I have coffee. It does make me lightheaded and dizzy all the time, however I'm scared to go off it as I've become so dependent on it for the sleep and mental aspects. I don't even know if it's helping with the pain at all.
  • janeh1959
    janeh1959 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Peggy108 wrote: »
    Is anyone else on neurotin? It really helps my nerve pain but I have read lots about it causing weight gain.

• aunteej80
    aunteej80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take Neurotin for my neuropathy in my feet. I cant live without it. Yes it makes you gain weight!!! I take 2400mg daily.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am on 1800mg of Neurotin for neuropathy in both my hands and feet, since 2011. It does help with my numbness, tingles and pain. I know for sure b/c my Dr. recently tried me on Cymbalta, but for me it was a big mistake (I only lasted for 4 days on it). My symptoms got so much worse, and the additional side effects really messed me up, so I am back on Neurotin.
    I didn't know that it made you gain weight, I guess that is why I can't seem to lose even though I have been controlling what I eat.
  • snetterv
    snetterv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I took Neurontin for many years. I have severe sleep apnea where my brain forgets to breath and of course the snoring kind too, but mostly it affects my brain. I take a lot of pain meds so when my Dr, reviewed my meds she took me off the neurontin and replaced it with Cymbalta. Not only did it work better but I also dropped 8lbs., and the depression was much better. (Cymbalta is a antidepressant)
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi, LJFJ (Linda). I'm on sick leave at the moment (getting signed off on Monday) so I think they'll have to review my meds.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hmm interesting. I've been on it. I wonder if I should talk to the dr about Cymbalta.
    lyrica did nothing for me
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Topimax helped with my neuropathy. It doesn't make you gain weight.