Fancy a 500 mile tour of Scotland? What about this?

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
Have a look at this...

t9mhjw81r7e8.jpg
The North Coast 500 route in Scotland runs from Inverness, to the Kyle of Lochalsh on the West Coast, via the rugged north coast to John O'Groats, before heading down the east coast, completing the loop in Inverness

1mq0gdxphimq.jpg
New to the scene: Scotland's NC500 has been named among the top six road coastal road trips in the world - after only being officially launched two months ago

d7mo9wbd6ubu.jpg
The North Coast 500 route in Scotland covers over 500 miles of spectacular Scottish scenery, including the stunning Kylesku Bridge

i2qfe7wfhnnl.jpg
Enjoy Achmelvich Beach, Assynt along the way. The unspoiled beach is an ideal place for a pit stop along the road trip for a picnic

ugkqhy202f55.jpg
See the incredible Scottish landscape, including witnessing mountains Suilven and Canisp from Loch Druim Suardalain

obgtail48dgo.jpg
Dunrobin Castle has 189 rooms, making it the largest in the northern Highlands. Its origins lie in the Middle Ages, but most of the present building and the gardens was added by Sir Charles Barry between 1835 and 1850. It is located on the NC500 1 mile north of Golspie

kmqn8shx77v6.jpg
Ardvreck Castle is a ruined castle dating from the 16th century which stands on a rocky promontory jutting out into Loch Assynt in Sutherland, north west Highland, Scotland

Looks fab eh?

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    if I can get fit for next year, that could be rather good... road up from the kyle towards applecross is probably one of my favourite roads of all time - its kind of a shame that there's no detour onto skye though... maybe make that a second week...
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome! And here I was thinking a little 200 mile trip up the mid Atlantic coast of the US was going to be a decent ride (chicken farms! Atlantic City!!).

that will make my list of must attempt.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yes please! I wonder if camping is permitted along the route.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    That would be amazing!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Yes please! I wonder if camping is permitted along the route.

Having had a detailed look, there's quite a few "organised" sites either on the route, or not far off-route, plus "wild camping" is pretty much enshrined in Scotlands Access Laws... so if you can get to some "non-enclosed" land - then it's pretty much fine.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/camping