Sleep Tracking

Options
Hello.

I've been always putting the band into sleep mode and waking it up and looking at my sleep data. However, there's things I'm wondering about that Customer Service hasn't been able to answer and I'm wondering if perhaps someone knows.

I asked Customer Service how does the band know when you've fallen asleep, if you're in deep or light sleep, if you're awake, while it's in sleep mode. This was the answer I got: "The band tracks your activity based upon your wrist movement that the band is worn on. If you are not moving the wrist, it will indicate either sleep or idle time depending on the mode that it is in when tracking this activity." I don't think this answers me at all. They did call me and I asked again and I got the same vague answer.

So I'm wondering, let's say it says it took me 19m to fall asleep, how does it know? Especially when there isn't a heart rate tracker (it's the UP2 I have) and I know I was awake longer. I am curious how it knows the depth of your sleep as well. Does anyone know?

Replies

• ellawillluke
    ellawillluke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My opinion only, but I think the sleep analysis is just a very vague guide. In the past I have started the sleep mode, then read in bed for an hour. The band shows that I fell asleep in just a few minutes. One night I got up to use the bathroom and the band indicated I never woke during the night. I still enjoy using it and it often reflects what I think happened during the night, for instance if I have a very restless night, it shows up accurately. I have restless leg syndrome and I sleep with CPAP, so my sleep is often interrupted.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It's def a vague guide. I'm just curious as to how it works, how it knows. I know it can't be 100% accurate, I'm just curious how it gets its data and what constitutes light and deep sleep, those things. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    UP tracks your movements, then uses an algorithm to decide whether you're awake, restless, or asleep. It's only good for studying trends. And "light" vs. "deep" sleep is something Jawbone invented to help you gauge the quality of your sleep: https://jawbone.com/kb/articles/soundsleeper.html

I have a screening appointment tomorrow for a sleep study at a hospital. I'll try and ask how UP & Fitbit track sleep. And if I get to do the study, I'll wear my UP and see how it compares to what the experts say.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My UP24 has been pretty accurate, and insightful info for me at least :smile: On the occasion when I've forgotten to put it in sleep mode, it has let me recover the data the next morning if I enter approximate sleep/wake times. I'd love to upgrade to a similar device with HR, but haven't heard good reviews. And, I don't want to lose the functionality of the Idle Alert - keeps me moving when I get too busy at work. Sooooo, I'm clinging to this 24 as long as I can :D
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    To editorgrrl - that should be interesting to see how the bands hold up vs what the experts say.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I'm doing the sleep study on August 25. There will be sensors on my wrist, so I probably can't wear my UP2. But it's so big it easily fits on my ankle.

The doctor didn't know anything about activity trackers, but I'll try asking the technician.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm getting up and taking steps in the middle of the night multiple times, but I never remember doing it. I'm thinking, based on the number of steps, that I'm heading to the bathroom. Or the app is tracking awake times and steps when I'm just tossing and turning in bed. But the steps are almost always 30-60 steps.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    I'd be curious to see what the tech says, editorgrrl, and what the results come back as.
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The best sleep tracker apps are not fitness bands. For iPhone, the best is Sleep Cycle, for Android (and Pebble/Pebble Time w/Android phone), Sleep As Android, and the best "band" for sleep is the Basis Peak watch. Basis has performed best overall in studies.

They all perform better than fitness bands, but are no substitute for a laboratory sleep study.

I only have the Jawbone UP Purple app for my phone, which doesn't track sleep. But I have seen the graphs of others. And the graphs are not nearly as precise as my sleep tracker: Sleep As Android. It is now adding heartrate support and has added awake-detection algorithms. Still, it's only an indication of your activity at night. It cannot read EEG activity in your brain and so is a good approximation.

I also use a detailed widget-controlled diary called Sleepmeter. Android only. It matches up very well with my auto-sleep-activity tracker, and I use Sleep Cloud from Sleep As Android to fine-tune the diary. I know how much I slept. But I don't really know about deep, light, or REM sleep. You need a laboratory study for that.

The UP graphs have much overlap between deep and light, and I don't miss not having it.

Sleep well,
    Robin
  • woodybush
    woodybush Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wonder: If you are in a deep sleep and your partner gets into / out of bed or is restless and the pressure maybe moves the bed which is in turn moves your wrist - does this cause your UP to think you are in a restless sleep / waking up?

I find it hard to believe how much 'light sleep' and how little ' sound sleep' I am achieving every night!
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing a band or watch, it should not pick someone else's movement.

Jawbone actually gives you much MORE "sound" sleep than dedicated sleep apps. (Only Jawbone calls it "sound" sleep. It's usually called deep sleep where you're not moving. In REM sleep, you're paralyzed by sleep. That happens only a few times a night. In very deep sleep you can still move quite a bit! Just not while dreaming.)

You should have a maximum of 70% deep or "sound" sleep but actually, levels in the 40 percentage and 50 percentage range are generally accurate.

It shouldn't go below 30% sound or deep sleep.

Robin
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    I consistently get 20-25% sound sleep and the rest is light sleep a night. Occasionally, maybe once every few weeks I get more sound sleep. Often it shows that I wake up 5 or more times a night, which I don't remember at all. So I too question how the information is gotten and displayed. Ah well. It's meant as a guide in any case, it is useful to some degree.
  • editorgrrl
    edited August 2015
    Options
    To editorgrrl - that should be interesting to see how the bands hold up vs what the experts say.

I was able to wear my UP2 and Fitbit during the sleep study, but I haven't yet received the results. The technician said I toss & turn a lot.

My UP says 6h38 total sleep, 4h40 sound sleep, and 1h58 light sleep. (If I did the math right, that's 70% sound sleep.) I took 22 minutes to fall asleep, was awake for 46 minutes, and woke once.

For comparison, my Fitbit says I woke 4 times and was restless 14 times, for a total of 47 minutes awake/restless. (I remember waking at least 4 times.) The total sleep & time to fall asleep were the same, but Fitbit doesn't do "sound vs. light sleep."
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    Even just the FitBit vs Jawbone sleep comparison is interesting.

Thanks for sharing :)