Water intake question

Options
pennysteed
pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
I am now on day 2 of soft foods, and am having a hard time getting my water in. My surgeon wants me to eat 4-6 times a day, while meeting my protein and water requirements. So my question is, how do you manage to get your 64oz of water in when you cannot drink 30 minutes prior or after each meal, and you are suppose to make each meal last 20-30 minutes? I am trying, but am so failing. Help, advice please. (Hope I made some sense to someone)

Replies

• nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can't fit it in either. I focus on 48, the low end of the requirement. Some days I can get the extra in, but most days just aren't long enough!
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as time goes on. Keep working at it. I know that I can drink water with additives (crystal light, Snapple flavors , Wyler's sugar free flavors) faster and easier than plain water. I don't know why, but its so true. Perhaps you should start there. Also, are you counting some of your foods as liquid too? My dietician let me count as liquid some foods such as my greek yogurts, jello, popsicles, protein shakes, etc. That added to my total day's count without adding additional things to my diet.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would keep a water bottle with me at all times (even taking it to bed with me so I would start as soon as I woke up). Sip in between the meals and times around the meals. It will seem like all you do is SIP! But it gets better. Hang in there! :smile:
  • Athollass
    Athollass Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I carried a 32 oz. sports bottle of water with me but it was still a challenge. My dietician also told me to be sure to count soup/broth, popsicles, protein shakes and jello. I like the Crystal light pink and regular lemonade which helps provide a change from the taste of plain water. I noticed now I am able to take in more fluid with each sip so am getting closer to meeting the 64 oz. Hang in there it just takes time!
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I still drink 2 protein shakes a day to count towards my fluids and protein. I am 10 months out and down 92 pounds. You will get there keep working at it.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    ahhh I remember those days well - I actually remember one day sitting and crying in frustration, hang in there it definitely gets better! I am four months post op and up to 90oz somedays! I know sounds crazy right :) Do your best and count your shakes as liquid if your surgeon allows - you will see improvement everyday. And it's true about crystal light being easier than water for me too - something about surface tension I read on one the other blogs, try and see if works for you too. Also in the beginning room temp was easier for me than cold, your pouch might like cold over room temp - try and see what works. But the suggestion of always having something in your hand is the best one yet, I constantly have my water bottle by my side...sip sip sip ALL DAY! And be patient you will get there, it's hard work no doubt but before you know it you will be downing 90 oz too - I still can't believe I drink that some days (most day's I am 72 or 80 for the record).
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I do not meet with my surgeon until next week, so I will have to ask him if I can count my protein shakes towards my fluid count.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It was written in my nutritionist's handouts that protein shakes count toward fluid intake. And jello, and pudding, and soup, etc.

Also, my surgeon (at Johns Hopkins Bariatric Center of Excellence) says it is OK to sip sip sip right up until you start eating. And then no sipping for 30 minutes after you eat. I have found this works great for me. With 5-6 small meals a day, there's no way I could stop drinking 30 minutes before eating, and ever get all my water in!

Hang in there, it will get easier!